Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is this going to kill us all?

282 replies

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 06:58

DH is flapping.

On busy days when no one is going to be home until 18:30 I sometimes make up a tray bake and put the oven on timer so it will be ready just as we walk in the door. The ingredients come out the fridge about 6am and oven comes on about 17:45 so that’s nearly 12 hours at room temp. Today’s has no raw meat but does have chorizo. Sometimes I do sausages. Have done chicken thighs before. I feel like this is probably fine but DH is convinced we will contract food poisoning. NB his worries don’t come with an offer to sort dinner.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1135 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
62%
You are NOT being unreasonable
38%
Draughtycatflapreturns · 27/09/2022 07:50

Theluggage15 · 27/09/2022 07:31

There’s no fire risk to having an oven on when you’re not at home. Fire risks are washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.

Commuter friends of ours used to put their dinner on a timer. One time they were seriously delayed and when they opened their front door clouds of thick smoke billowed out, followed by two terrified cats and a dog.

There was no fire but the food was cremated.

CollieWobble22 · 27/09/2022 07:51

Ewww sounds awful!! I feel a little nauseous thinking of this

Slow cooker food and not shitting myself from food poisoning would be a win tbh

Antarcticant · 27/09/2022 07:51

Someone needs to invent the fridge oven. Refrigerates on a timer until it's ready to heat up.

NeurologicallySpeaking · 27/09/2022 07:52

No I wouldn't eat it. Either slow cooker, use a Ninja Foodi if affordable as cuts time or reheat something batch cooked

orchiopera · 27/09/2022 07:54

We would eat it in our house. We do the a similar thing and leave in the oven overnight. Unless it has a massive amount of meat in or the meat isn't as fresh. My parents did it before me and I've lived 36 years to tell the tale.

Lulumo · 27/09/2022 07:56

Instant Pot it cooks the food then keeps it warm. You can also cook from frozen. Taster a lot better than a slow cooker

AndTwoFilmsByFrancoisTruffaut · 27/09/2022 07:58

DogInATent · 27/09/2022 07:49

Learn to use it. You can be a good cook and still not be able to use a piece of equipment. Slowcookers needs a very different approach to either the hob or the oven. Fluid and seasonings need to be adjusted, they need very little liquid adding. If your results are bland and watery then it sounds like you're using your usual recipes and techniques, and they will not work with a slowcooker.

Leaving chicken and sausages out at room temperature all day is not good. Your DH is right on this one.

Absolutely this it’s always^ user error that results in bad slow cooker dishes. People add too much liquid, don’t bother to brown onions, you still have to put some effort in to achieve decent results. You still have to consider suitable herbs and spices and ratios.

A slow cooker won’t magically produce an amazing dish by just chucking a load of ingredients in and leaving it to hope 🤷🏻‍♀️You’ll maybe achieve an edible ‘ok’ dish by pure luck, but it won’t have your family asking for seconds. That’s where people go wrong.

It’s taken some time to get the balance of ingredients and liquids right, but some of my family’s favourite winter dishes are produced by my slow cooker.

BeeDavis · 27/09/2022 07:58

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 07:02

Slow cooker food is so gross though. Bland and watery.

You must not be making the right food in your slow cooker. Never had a bad meal outta mine.

WhatAmIDoingWrong123 · 27/09/2022 07:59

Get better recipes, slow cooked food is the tastiest of all.

As for your original point, it wouldn’t bother me at all. Fridges keep things fresh rather than safe.

nannybeach · 27/09/2022 08:05

Perhaps you lot have a different type of slo cooker. I have a big old Tower,had it since the early 80s, the bowl is glazed terracotta. It has lo,hi and auto settings, thought with the huge rise in fuel a lot more people would be turning to them. I am very careful with meat(I don't eat it now) fresh meat is never put straight into cook, too cold,I wear gloves in prep,cooked meat to be kept,cooled quick and in container straight into fridge.

Firecarrier · 27/09/2022 08:06

TurtleSpurtle · 27/09/2022 07:37

Tell your DH he's on dinner on those days from this point forwards.

Loads of countries where raw meat is out of the fridge for longer periods and in warmer temperatures. Never had an issue.

I tend to agree, I think lots of people are really paranoid. Eldeley relatives have told me how they don't ever remember people getting sick/food poisoning like today despite no fridges etc, my mother thinks most of the issues come from dirty takeaways etc.

Also I know the rules around rice but Asians invented egg fried rice to use it up the next day after it had been sitting out all night 🤷‍♂️

AriettyHomily · 27/09/2022 08:07

Chorizo yes, sausages and chicken no.

If you do it properly slow cooker food isn't watery!

Dannexe · 27/09/2022 08:08

How do all the "don't leave your oven on" people cope with the concept of agas?

(I appreciate there is a greater risk if there is food in the oven but not just having the oven on per se).

HuzzahIndeed · 27/09/2022 08:09

I'd be fine with veggie stuff or MAYBE cooked meat but raw meat? Nope.

I'd also worry about the oven being on when no one is home TBH.

I do agree with slow cooker food being bland and watery. No matter what we did or how closely we followed the recipe it was always flavourless. We even tried pre-cooking bits (which somewhat defeats the point) and different slow cookers.

NumptiesIncorporated · 27/09/2022 08:10

Get better recipes, slow cooked food is the tastiest of all

Not according to this person who develops recipes and writes about food as a living.

www.today.com/food/why-i-m-not-fan-slow-cooker-t80041

Imo slow roasted food is amazing. Slow cookers are convenient, and the trade off for the convenience is that the food is often not as good as it could otherwise be. If slow cookers created the tastiest food of all, then it would be standard to have industrial sized ones in professional kitchens. It isn't.

Runningintolife · 27/09/2022 08:11

Veggie traybakes or frozen chicken fillets wrapped in foil with a squeeze of lemon and a tray of roadt potatoes, or frozen sausages.

EveryLeafSpeaksBlissToMe · 27/09/2022 08:13

There are 2 nights in our week when no one is home until 7.15pm. For these nights I do a few different things;

1. One of my late nights is a Monday, so I make a double roast on Sunday and put the left overs in the fridge to heat up in the microwave. You could keep it till Tues.

2. Fresh pasta which takes minutes to cook, with either tuna or I fry some chorizo, plus sauce which is usually home made and kept in the freezer, then defrosted the night before.

3. I recently bought a very large slow cooker, which I love, and have made double meals, which are frozen and are brought out the night before to defrost in fridge e.g. chilli con carne, lasagna, meatballs. I have a microwaveable rice cooker that takes 10 mins.
HuzzahIndeed · 27/09/2022 08:13

@Dannexe never had an arga, no idea how they work (and don't need to know) so never thought about it. I just know that I wouldn't have MY oven on when I'm not home.

ThanksAntsThants · 27/09/2022 08:13

Wouldn’t bother me at all. As long as it’s cooked thoroughly it’s fine.

IggityZiggity · 27/09/2022 08:14

I don't think you have been doing it right. How many recipes have you used?

SantaOnFanta · 27/09/2022 08:14

Absolutely no way, you will get sick.

JinglingHellsBells · 27/09/2022 08:16

Is your oven room temp, though? It might be cooler.

I'd probably not do it with chicken but sausage is so full of preservatives, I'd do that.

Ideally though I'd have a different meal when coming in late. Something that was already cooked, in the fridge and need heating up fast, or something raw that could be cooked quickly. You could easily make something the night before, like a casserole or curry and heat it up when you got home.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FetchezLaVache · 27/09/2022 08:16

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Stravaig · 27/09/2022 08:18

Eat vegetarian on tray bake nights, save meat dishes for when you have time to cook.

notanothertakeaway · 27/09/2022 08:22

I wouldn't eat meat that had sat at room temperature for 12 hours. But I suspect you will continue to do it anyway, and only started this thread as you expected everyone to agree with you

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.