Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is this going to kill us all?

282 replies

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 06:58

DH is flapping.

On busy days when no one is going to be home until 18:30 I sometimes make up a tray bake and put the oven on timer so it will be ready just as we walk in the door. The ingredients come out the fridge about 6am and oven comes on about 17:45 so that’s nearly 12 hours at room temp. Today’s has no raw meat but does have chorizo. Sometimes I do sausages. Have done chicken thighs before. I feel like this is probably fine but DH is convinced we will contract food poisoning. NB his worries don’t come with an offer to sort dinner.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1135 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
62%
You are NOT being unreasonable
38%
Spain1980 · 28/09/2022 18:46

YANU. It’s true a high temperature kills most bacteria, but the problem is the food being at room temperature all day and THEN slowly being warmed up until the oven reaches the right cooking temperature. (You normally cook in a pre-heated oven). This means if there is any bacteria in the food it can multiply to levels that could cause harm to humans. I would prepare and store in the fridge - then put into a preheated oven once you arrive home. You have been lucky to date - but it is a risk

Spain1980 · 28/09/2022 18:47

Sorry meant YABU - hubby is right

Incognitomum11 · 28/09/2022 19:21

Omg that is super dangerous… you probably won’t die but you could all get really sick. Why risk this ?

Jjones8 · 28/09/2022 19:37

No - this is not OK.

Voila567 · 28/09/2022 20:10

I regularly take meat out first thing in the morning to defrost and then cook and eat later that evening. Never had any issues. I just put the meat (still in packaging) in a bowl and leave it on the side lol

Lollipopsicle · 28/09/2022 21:13

Dozycuntlaters · 27/09/2022 07:03

If your slow cooked food is bland and watery you are doing something wrong. Slow cook food is lovely, mine is never bland and watery.

Same here!

ludders01 · 28/09/2022 22:03

@Canyousewcushions wow! I didn’t even know slow cookers could do that. Mine is very basic and find most recipes a bit bland! Which sc do you have please? Thank you in advance x

pinkpantherpink · 28/09/2022 22:13

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 07:02

Slow cooker food is so gross though. Bland and watery.

You're doing it wrong, then 😄

I'd happily eat your tray bake.

Mamanyt · 28/09/2022 23:20

Yamaya · 27/09/2022 07:03

Yes being cooked should kill off the bacteria, however some bacteria produce a toxin that doesn't get removed by heating so it will still make you sick. I wouldn't do this. Slow cooker would be a better alternative.

Thank you. Just what I was going to say. The toxins remains, and they are what does the damage.

HawkeyePierce · 28/09/2022 23:42

I work in a rather famous fast food restaurant. Would you be happy if your food was left out for that long and then cooked. I doubt it.

Boujisboo · 29/09/2022 00:28

There’s lots of no’s here
is eat it myself but wouldn’t give it to a child

CantHaveTooMuchChocolate · 29/09/2022 00:51

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 07:18

And I am a good cook and have given my slow cooker a chance.

Have you tried a pressure cooker, quick and concentrates the flavour. Might be quicker than the tray bake and taste as good or better.

Mothership4two · 29/09/2022 02:41

@HolidayDjinn

Slow cooker food is so gross though. Bland and watery.

Then you are adding too much liquid and not enough spices, herbs and flavourful ingredients OP. I use it a lot for pulled meat type recipes such as brisket and some casseroles and they all get polished off. I tend not to use it for poultry as it can look rubbery. Mince works though even Quorn type ones and lentils go nice and soft.

Travbake type dinners are great time savers, but I wouldn't leave raw meat for 12 hours just in case. Chorizo would be OK though IMO

Alvinne · 29/09/2022 03:12

I havent RTFT but definitely agree with you about the slow cooker OP. There's no maillard reaction and things in a slow cooker just dont ever taste as good, even with the faff of pre searing things. One thing you could try is an air fryer, you can cook things effectively in a short time, including things in dishes and trays. I was genuinely surprised by how good the air fryer is, expecially given my previous slow cooker experiences! For example chicken thighs cook really well in 20 mins in the air fryer, taste as good if not better than the oven, with no need to preheat etc. Traybake type stuff like this tastyairfryerrecipes.com/air-fryer-sausage-and-potatoes-dinner/ also work really well and cook in 20 mins too.

everywoman682 · 29/09/2022 06:51

Sear meat before putting in slow cooker HTH
Though the OP seems very against using a slow cooker anyway as her food comes out bland and watery!

OP seems determined to keep using their method of having food warm up slowly in the oven after being at room temperature for hours. In this case I would definitely be sticking to veggie recipes and seeking out new ones because they're are literally shed loads which contain plenty of delicious protein and good fats.

AmberMcAmber · 29/09/2022 08:10

It’s in the oven so it’s an enclosed environment it’s not like it’s out and attracting flies!

id eat it as long as it’s thoroughly cooked and only been out since that morning (not the night before) - how is it any different to sticking it in slow cooker with a timer to start…? Some of those recipes say you could dump in the night before!

also… tell him that there’s more for everyone else if he’s not eating, or ask what he’s making instead…

Inwiththenew · 29/09/2022 08:54

It wouldn’t bother me. Unless you live in an exceptionally warm house it’s just not hot enough in this country for it to be an issue.

Canyousewcushions · 29/09/2022 12:58

We bought one of Ninja multi function things when it was on offer- it air fries, slow cooks, pressure cooks and a few other things, bought on a black Friday deal.

Means you can turn it up high to sear/brown things, and it makes a huge difference to what comes out with still just using a single pot.

I think you can get more standard slow cooker things that also have a higher pre-cook setting too, but we wanted a single gadget that covered various functions to save on space.

Canyousewcushions · 29/09/2022 12:59

@ludders01 response is above but didn't manage to reply properly.

Bekstar · 29/09/2022 15:16

4 hours out of fridge is maximum for chorizo I'm afraid

trytopullyoursocksup · 29/09/2022 15:34

you can use the timer on the oven without anything in it, and then as soon as someone gets home take the tray out of the fridge and cook it without waiting for the oven to heat

ClaudiaWankleman · 29/09/2022 15:51

Bekstar · 29/09/2022 15:16

4 hours out of fridge is maximum for chorizo I'm afraid

No it's not? They hang, uncovered, outside shops in Spain and I don't think the general incidence rate of chorizo induced food poisoning is anything above negligible.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

howaboutchocolate · 29/09/2022 16:11

ClaudiaWankleman · 29/09/2022 15:51

No it's not? They hang, uncovered, outside shops in Spain and I don't think the general incidence rate of chorizo induced food poisoning is anything above negligible.

They hang outside shops whole, with their protective covering intact. Not cut up with the insides exposed to air. And not sitting mixed in oil/liquid/with other vegetables.

It's like the difference between a whole egg sitting out vs a bowl with raw egg mixture sitting out.

ludders01 · 29/09/2022 16:50

@Canyousewcushions thank you. I’ve been looking at the Ninja’s for ages but not sure I’ve got enough worktop space! Will keep looking and thank you, that’s good to know.

Augend23 · 29/09/2022 20:23

howaboutchocolate · 29/09/2022 16:11

They hang outside shops whole, with their protective covering intact. Not cut up with the insides exposed to air. And not sitting mixed in oil/liquid/with other vegetables.

It's like the difference between a whole egg sitting out vs a bowl with raw egg mixture sitting out.

But chorizo, unlike a chicken thigh (for example), is literally designed as a method of preserving meat, and wouldn't have been eaten in a single sitting and would have existed before fridges - so I think in all likelihood it would be totally fine.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.