Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

And now Italy

138 replies

Pampapuddlepoose · 26/09/2022 15:43

Italy has just voted in it's most right wing prime minister since Muesli.

IANBU - This whole thing is starting to look scarily like the build up to WW2
AIBU - Stop worrying and go and do something useful.

I'm going to stop reading/watching the news. It's scaring me and I can't fk anything about if anyway. I'm not trying to scaremongering, I'd just like some other opinions.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

465 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
57%
You are NOT being unreasonable
43%
Possiblynotever · 26/09/2022 17:17

She is 44. All her campaign has been to please older ears, those between 60 to 90 who are more likely to watch the news, debates and vote.
Very much what our Liz has done with Conservative male old members.
Political pleasers with a well-defined target.
Is this scary? Possibly, but she won by such a margin that she will have a lot of space to manoeuvre.
Muesli was a man, and fascism is very much men driven - we just need to see what this woman can accomplish, she is a very skilled politician and knows the game.

HRTQueen · 26/09/2022 17:28

I think it’s concerning

her views are far right they are not in line with the EU which is problematic for the EU she has voiced similar views about Muslims as Marine Le Pen she is a wolf in sheep’s clothing

more concerning is the rapid rise of support for her party this would be the equivalent of UKIP
receiving 25% of votes

she just toned it down for the election it’s not something to ignore but as previously posted Sweden is more of a shock

Beamur · 26/09/2022 17:31

The Left need to start listening a bit harder to the public and actually address some of the social issues driving the rise of popularity in right wing politics. This will continue otherwise.

slowquickstep · 26/09/2022 17:33

I'm going to stop reading/watching the news. It's scaring me and I can't fk anything about if anyway. I'm not trying to scaremongering, I'd just like some other opinions.

And yet you have made no mention of Sweden, why is it only the Italian vote that has you worried ?

Bywayofanupdate · 26/09/2022 17:34

Loving the autocorrect!

JustAJokeLikeOnTopGear · 26/09/2022 17:38

I think it's Swiss style.

psychomath · 26/09/2022 17:39

this would be the equivalent of UKIP
receiving 25% of votes

Didn't they receive 13% of the vote in 2013 or whichever year that election was? I know that's only half as much, but in terms of shockingly high vote share for previously fringe parties it's not so different from 25%?

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 26/09/2022 17:40

I honestly don't give a shit.

FOJN · 26/09/2022 17:47

Would you be so worried if it was the most left wing PM ever, or would that not concern you as it would be more in line with your political leanings?

I know it's bizarre that people seem to think anything left wing is benevolent at best and benign at worst. I think I'm correct in saying that extreme left politics claimed far more lives in the 20th Century than extreme right wing politics.

KikoLemons · 26/09/2022 17:47

Why does the right worry you and not the left? It's extremism that should worry us. (Putin?). Extremism, lack of tolerance for other points of view - that's a concern whichever quarter it comes from.
Think about what are the really worrying policies rather than which labels you can stress about.
Italy will be fine - as will Sweden.
The virtue signalling about the "far right" is often done by people who'd call in the SAS if a CF neighbour parked in their car parking space - but hey ho everyone else has to be tolerant.

NippyWoowoo · 26/09/2022 17:50

I know it's a typo but 🥣 😂

Shudacudawuda · 26/09/2022 17:51

The Left need to start listening a bit harder to the public and actually address some of the social issues driving the rise of popularity in right wing politics. This will continue otherwise.

This.

earsup · 26/09/2022 17:55

wont last long...italy changes govts frequently....not surprised about sweden tho...friends over there not happy about the gang and sex crimes, gun shootings between the somalian and iraqi gangs etc and for years all supressed by media and police....it had to explode.!!

FigTreeInEurope · 26/09/2022 17:57

Ha, the Salento want independence from Italy. In Piedmont they want a separate country for anything north of the Po. Italy's politics is as bonkers as the way they drive. Yesterday, I listened to a farmer passionately tell me about how fratelli d'italia would free us from the EU, and whilst talking, he convinced himself the country couldn't afford it, and "them in Rome" are too corrupt to run the place independently anyway. At 84, and still ploughing his fields, I respect the guys views, but it'll be 90% drama and they'll be howling for change within 18 months. The most mature thing in this country is the wine. I love it, but it's bonkers.

briancormorant · 26/09/2022 17:58

It is the 'open door' immigration policy that is hard for many to accept.
Contrasting with natural humanitarian feelings is the question: "Why if you live in such a bloody awful country such as Albania or Syria do you not stay and work to put right"?
Sure, it will be hard. Many places did it. France had a revolution as did Ireland. So have many others.
Do the patriotic thing. Go back and fight for your countries.
See Ukraine right now!!

Geneva12 · 26/09/2022 18:03

Beamur · 26/09/2022 17:31

Yes. And after they have listened then the left need to take on board what people are saying and not call them racist, bigot, thick and stupid for having an opinion that is not the same as them.

jetadore · 26/09/2022 18:05

First they came for the granola…

Skodacool · 26/09/2022 18:15

RJnomore1 · 26/09/2022 16:14

Well your autocorrect gave me a brief smile but you do have to wonder where peoples brains are really.

Me too, but I did wonder whether it was autocorrect or deliberate

Lulu1919 · 26/09/2022 18:16

I love Museli

waffless · 26/09/2022 18:28

Exactly, extreme views are the worrying situation. The left are crazy giving blanket entrance to people without checks at the borders or saying there should be not borders. Then complain about poverty, lack of housing, schools and gangs coming to out countries. Any person even asking basic questions is a racist. When what most people are is not against immigrants but the lack of checks. If you want first world it became to be for a reason. The rise of the so called far right is the consequence of the loony extremists of the left.

Riverlee · 26/09/2022 18:29

Just saw this on the news. Depressing.

HRTQueen · 26/09/2022 18:32

psychomath · 26/09/2022 17:39

this would be the equivalent of UKIP
receiving 25% of votes

Didn't they receive 13% of the vote in 2013 or whichever year that election was? I know that's only half as much, but in terms of shockingly high vote share for previously fringe parties it's not so different from 25%?

The received 13% in the 2015 election hence why Cameron panicked and decided to call a referendum (with the vast majority of MP’s supporting)

fringe parties often do well in local elections

13% is quite different from 1/4 of the electorate (plus the votes for other right wing parties)

thankfully our politics don’t tend to sway to far left or far right but then neither did Sweden’s

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

wackamole · 26/09/2022 18:32

I can't see Italy staying in the EU, I think they will Itexit 😂

That seems complicated; could they not simply Italeave?

That said, Giorgia Meloni's party, Fratelli d'Italia, is considered "(soft) eurosceptic", but they do not call for Italy to leave the EU. Mostly, they want to influence the EU to move away from federalism toward confederalism. Meloni is also Chairperson of the multinational European Conservatives and Reformists Party (ECR), which also campaigns to reform the EU, giving more power to the individual countries and governments and only using "pooled sovreignty" when it's the best way to achieve a truly common goal. ("Lead not Leave", anyone?)

CaptainBarbosa · 26/09/2022 18:36

wackamole · 26/09/2022 18:32

I can't see Italy staying in the EU, I think they will Itexit 😂

That seems complicated; could they not simply Italeave?

That said, Giorgia Meloni's party, Fratelli d'Italia, is considered "(soft) eurosceptic", but they do not call for Italy to leave the EU. Mostly, they want to influence the EU to move away from federalism toward confederalism. Meloni is also Chairperson of the multinational European Conservatives and Reformists Party (ECR), which also campaigns to reform the EU, giving more power to the individual countries and governments and only using "pooled sovreignty" when it's the best way to achieve a truly common goal. ("Lead not Leave", anyone?)

Italeave is far better sounding, I vote for that (the name, not the overall political movement)

walkingonsunshinekat · 26/09/2022 18:41

She isn't yet PM, she isn't particularly right wing (her party is a member of the Conservative grouping in Europe, as were the Tories) and i'd be more worried about Truss & the current Tory party, far more right wing on Europe (Italy doesn't wish to leave the EU or the euro), immigration, social welfare and public spending.

Plus Italy can and will have another GE if she starts to mess things up, they've had 60 Govts since WW2 but even so seem better Governed than we are.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.