Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I hate foxes

203 replies

Faciadipasta · 26/09/2022 07:31

Honestly I HATE them. I mean I know they look sort of nice but they are just awful. I've taken to trying to shoot them with a super soaker like a crazy woman not that it makes any bloody difference.
They scream all night, that horrible noise that sounds like someone being murdered. They have figured out how to get into our 'fox proof' food waste bins so we often go out to see manky bits of food strewn around. And if we manage to keep ours somewhere they can't get to it then a neighbour will have probably forgotten so it will still be up the pavement. We had to stop using the milkman because they figured out how to knock the milk bottles over so the foil lid would be dislodged and then milk would go everywhere and stink, and they'd probably only lick a little bit of it and just leave the rest in a big smelly puddle, they terrorise my poor cat, they dig my grass and they like to mark their territory with diarrhoea. Leaving little pools of it on our stuff. There's a load which has gone partly on the wall, then run down it and pooled at the bottom this morning. Ugh. Any ideas how I can get the little fuckers to bugger off? We've tried those noise things now and they make no difference.
There is a massive problem in this area. If you remember the news story where a fox went into a house and killed a baby a few years back that wasn't far from here...
Help!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

198 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
56%
You are NOT being unreasonable
44%
Noviembre · 26/09/2022 07:33

I love them. Though I suppose mine don't have diarrhea, and I keep my food bin indoors (if you leave it outside all manner of animals will get in. You're basically attracting them.)

There are plenty of deterrents you can Google.

DazzlePaintedBattlePants · 26/09/2022 07:36

They’re complete pests. YANBU.

Reallyreallyborednow · 26/09/2022 07:36

Yep, I’m with you. The stink, the poo all over the garden, the noise…

i moved rurally and now have no problem. It’s the overconfident urban bastards…

mynameiscalypso · 26/09/2022 07:40

Ugh. We have a pair of foxes in our street and the noise is fucking hideous.

NiceTwin · 26/09/2022 07:41

I am also a hater, never felt more keenly than when I was walking round my field trying to find the bodies of my 7 chickens 😭

Puppypads · 26/09/2022 07:41

I hate them with the fire of 1000 suns.
animal lovers look away now*
The only way to get rid of them is either 1. Get a dog or 2. Get the pest control people out. And by pest control I mean a man with a shotgun who will kill as many of the fuckers as possible.

dudsville · 26/09/2022 07:46

I wonder why they behave differently in different areas. I like them but i can see i probably wouldn't feel the same if i lived in your area. I wonder if we have enough wildlife to keep them from invading bins and milk bottles for food.

Choconut · 26/09/2022 07:47

They are beautiful and clever, I adore them.....but I live in the countryside. I can imagine they are not the neighbours you want in an urban setting. I hate pet cats in the same way, shitting all over my garden, digging up my veg patch, killing the wildlife I want to encourage. No much either of us can do I suspect.

GerundTheBehemoth · 26/09/2022 07:47

The outdoors has wildlife in it, and long may that continue. Massively, massively depleted from what it should be of course, but hopefully we can learn to tolerate those few species that are able to live close to us.

Theraffarian · 26/09/2022 07:49

I feel for the issues you are having , but I adore the foxes we have around here . Luckily not huge in numbers and I agree they can leave a rather whiffy smell in their wake . I don’t think there’s a way to get rid of a wild roaming animal in urban areas , different in rural but I’d rather not go there .

Ours are very much nocturnal in terms of visits , apart from the lovely stage when the youngsters haven’t developed a fear of humans or worked out they aren’t really supposed to sit in the middle of the garden in the day . Our cat isn’t allowed out at night , so he doesn’t have any run ins with them . Recycling is kept in one of the sheds , brick built so no fox entries , and to be honest I leave water out for them as I hate the idea of any animal struggling to survive .

You can get milk crates for your milk and add a swing latch to them , this one just an example Milk crate

We also keep a dog pooper scooper to remove any poop , but to be honest it should be solid , so if runny would probably indicate the fox is unwell.

Fox wee tends to be the stinky part unfortunately ,but it tends to disperse in a few hours .

ShirleyPhallus · 26/09/2022 07:55

Puppypads · 26/09/2022 07:41

I hate them with the fire of 1000 suns.
animal lovers look away now*
The only way to get rid of them is either 1. Get a dog or 2. Get the pest control people out. And by pest control I mean a man with a shotgun who will kill as many of the fuckers as possible.

We thought the dog thing would work but it doesn’t make any difference. They are sneaky little bastards who sneak across the lawn and all it does is encourage my dog to woof at them.

Then at night they come back and poo as close to the house as they can.

My husband left some washing out and a pair of pants fell off on to the floor. They pooed in the pants. They have pooed on our garden table, directly on top of a football, inside an empty flower pot. They’ve chewed up garden toys and once I caught one trying to steal a shoe when the back door was open. We have to now religiously put away everything from the garden and can’t have laundry out.

We also have to put it all away because the dog left a squeaky toy outside and we all got woken up to the haunting squeaking sound about 3am one summer morning when we’d left our windows open.

I hate them. I wish they’d stop breeding.

Faciadipasta · 26/09/2022 08:20

Yep they popped our kids space hoppers, have sneaked in in the summer and nicked shoes off the doormat and then taken them up the garden and chewed them. And they're not bloody scared of people. They will literally stand their ground until you get about 2 foot from them. Bastards.

OP posts:
Soubriquet · 26/09/2022 08:22

I love foxes. One of my favourite animals

I also don’t believe the fox killed the baby

sevenbyseven · 26/09/2022 08:27

YANBU, yours sound awful.

I love ours though and don't have the same problems - no diarrhoea, they don't raid the food waste bin, rarely hear them at night. They do occasionally poo or wee on toys left in the garden though, so we try not to do that!

waterlego · 26/09/2022 08:33

Similar issues here. They’re a total fecking nuisance. Can’t ever leave anything in the garden, like a pair of shoes or a dog toy as they will either shit on it or steal it. And the noise they make at night, especially during the mating season is horrendous. Our dog gets very wound up by them and they don’t appear to be particularly scared of him so he’s not a deterrent.

SoupDragon · 26/09/2022 08:36

One of them backed up to my front door and shat on it. That was dedication.

SoupDragon · 26/09/2022 08:42

Fox wee tends to be the stinky part

the poo smells worse.

Porcupineintherough · 26/09/2022 08:43

Cat proof your garden. That will keep your cat in and foxes out.

Comedycook · 26/09/2022 08:44

I also hate them. They screech all night and wake us up. Shit on our driveways and pavements. Rip open the garbage. They are absolute vermin.

Mollysocks · 26/09/2022 08:46

DazzlePaintedBattlePants · 26/09/2022 07:36

They’re complete pests. YANBU.

They are pests because they’re hungry and we’ve ruined their habitat so they need to look elsewhere for food.

Mollysocks · 26/09/2022 08:49

Comedycook · 26/09/2022 08:44

I also hate them. They screech all night and wake us up. Shit on our driveways and pavements. Rip open the garbage. They are absolute vermin.

😂 The entitlement/ignorance/obliviousness in these posts.

‘Screeching’ is natural to them, they don’t know that’s your driveway, ground is ground to them, and they’re looking in the bins because they’re hungry and looking for food.

They don’t understand property or mess or tresspassing ffs 😂 They're animals.

SoupDragon · 26/09/2022 08:51

Porcupineintherough · 26/09/2022 08:43

Cat proof your garden. That will keep your cat in and foxes out.

The foxes here dig under the fences.

Porcupineintherough · 26/09/2022 08:52

Not sure that's true @Mollysocks . Lots of rural and semi rural areas have artificially high fox numbers because stupid cunts keep releasing loads of pheasants and game birds into it. They do well in urban areas because there is food for them there. I love them, far rather have foxes in my garden than a dozen of the local cats.

Faciadipasta · 26/09/2022 08:54

Any of the PP who.love them so much are bloody welcome to these ones. Reckon you'd probably change your mind quite quickly though.

OP posts:
TheLongGallery · 26/09/2022 08:55

They have sort of regular runs, I got DH to pee round the edge of the garden a few times a few years ago and they stopped coming in. There is much debate about if it works but they stopped coming in so that’s a win for me. I grew up rurally. Never approved of all the twats that used to go fox hunting because that was all about fun but never cared if local farmers killed them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.