Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to refer to 11/9 rather than 9/11

136 replies

LargeDeviation · 11/09/2022 12:45

The growing Americanisation of our language seems to have accelerated massively over the last few years. I see 'mom' scrawled with abandon all over Mumsnet. Schoolchildren regularly refer to 'math'.

Yes, what happened on Sept 11 2001 was utterly tragic, and I am not seeking to cause anyone pain, but for some reason the totally illogical American date format really annoys me, even more than seeing a fine word lose its 'u'. Month/Day/Year - how can that possibly make any type of sense????

It's now long enough ago that when I talk about it to others, it causes them to stop for a moment and think - and thinking consciously about the loss of British English is maybe the first step to preserving it.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

581 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
94%
You are NOT being unreasonable
6%
AlwaysGinPlease · 11/09/2022 13:28

Incredibly crass post. YABVVVU.

Quveas · 11/09/2022 13:29

Actually, if you fact checked, you'd know that many commonly used American words (for example, garbage instead of rubbish) are those used in UK English centuries ago, and it's our use of the language that has changed. Languages evolve. Get over it.

And what on earth is "British English"? Is that the English of Chaucer or Shakespeare? If we're going to be purist about speaking our original "English" does that mean that we introduce Cornish and Gaelic to the timetables, as they were amongst the actual first "English" spoken in the country. To say nothing of the fact that "English" is a derivation from the Angles and they didn't even come from here.

chocolatemademefat · 11/09/2022 13:30

Refer to it however you want to. I doubt the people it actually affected will lose much sleep over your opinions. Or perhaps just grow up?

Ithinkthatisenoughnowthanks · 11/09/2022 13:34

YABU. It happened in the US. They turn their dates around when compared with how we write the date. That’s up to them. Respect their decision to call the tragedy that happened on their soil to the majority their people whatever they bloody want.

rainbowunicorn · 11/09/2022 13:36

OP You are showing yourself up to be an uneducated ignorant twat to be honest.

Trinity65 · 11/09/2022 13:46

LargeDeviation · 11/09/2022 12:45

The growing Americanisation of our language seems to have accelerated massively over the last few years. I see 'mom' scrawled with abandon all over Mumsnet. Schoolchildren regularly refer to 'math'.

Yes, what happened on Sept 11 2001 was utterly tragic, and I am not seeking to cause anyone pain, but for some reason the totally illogical American date format really annoys me, even more than seeing a fine word lose its 'u'. Month/Day/Year - how can that possibly make any type of sense????

It's now long enough ago that when I talk about it to others, it causes them to stop for a moment and think - and thinking consciously about the loss of British English is maybe the first step to preserving it.

Oh Please

Trinity65 · 11/09/2022 13:47

Trinity65 · 11/09/2022 13:46

Oh Please

Meant to add YABU

BeanieTeen · 11/09/2022 13:47

YABVU.
All I can say is ‘there’s a time and a place’ and ‘read the room’…
Please stop embarrassing yourself.

lunar1 · 11/09/2022 13:50

9/11 is a tragedy which happened in America, not here, there is no need for us to change it.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe · 11/09/2022 13:50

You just had to post this trite but insensitive crap on the day, OP? Just how attention-seeking and vapid must you be? No more attention from me. Biscuit

tenbob · 11/09/2022 13:51

You see things ‘scrawled’ over mumsnet??

Maybe check your browser settings because it should be showing posts in typed text, not ‘scrawl’, which is handwritten

Unless, of course, you’ve started a pompous thread about the horror of incorrect usage of English by… incorrectly using a word…

PinkPlantCase · 11/09/2022 13:53

YABU

Mom is a regional thing

PeekAtYou · 11/09/2022 13:54

You are being massively unreasonable.
9/11 happened in the US. We should call it what the Americans call it. Calling it 11/9 is massively dickish.
Mom is used in areas of the UK and Ireland. It is dickish to assume that everybody is from the same area of England as you. There may even be Americans here so your assertion that it's American and therefore wrong is dickish.
Thanks to the Internet, kids in different countries pick up the language of other English speakers. My kids have liked trying out Aussie and American slang and I've personally started using dish soap rather than washing up liquid because I like it better.

PAFMO · 11/09/2022 14:00

Summary of usage trends of math v maths:
"In the 17th century, English speakers fell under the spell of a peculiar linguistic fad. With some exceptions, they started to use a seemingly plural form of a field of study to refer to it in the singular. Enter physics, acoustics, economics, acrostics. The rule wasn’t applied uniformly: Disciplines that had been around for a while, such as arithmetic, had already rooted deeply enough in people’s minds to avoid the trend. But mathematic, the classical and somewhat arcane science of all things numerical, acquired an S.

Math as an autonomous term for mathematics came first to the United States, in 1890. (Americans were using math. as a standard abbrev. as early as 1818, when War Secretary John C. Calhoun referred to a man named Davies, an “ass. prof. maths.,” in a letter. There is also an entirely different math, from Old English, that refers to mowing.) The British maths cropped up in 1911, and both terms leapt in usage for their respective countries during the second half of the 20th century."

Looks like the US usage is older.

OP- numbers aside, YABU and crass.

VioletInsolence · 11/09/2022 14:05

Yes, what happened on Sept 11 2001 was utterly tragic
I mean I kind of agree with you but you’ve just done with same thing you big twonk! 🙂

dreamingbohemian · 11/09/2022 14:07

As a New Yorker I would absolutely think you were a massive twat if you did this.

VioletInsolence · 11/09/2022 14:09

DontKeepTheFaith · 11/09/2022 13:16

YABU, it’s a US tragedy and has always been 9/11, in line with their calendar.

Mom is regional, my mum uses it as a born and bred Brummie. It’s not Americanization, it’s just a quirk of regional dialect.

I’m from the Midlands and have a dog called Fluffy but everyone thinks I’m saying Floffy. So I think it’s just the accent….I’ve never heard anyone say ‘mom’.

dreamingbohemian · 11/09/2022 14:10

And the American format is not illogical, what is wrong with you people

We always say month first. E.g April 20th, May 11th, etc. So when we express in numbers we also say month first. It's not wrong, it's just different

rainbowstardrops · 11/09/2022 14:10

FourTeaFallOut · 11/09/2022 12:49

I think it's a bit rude to be having a pedant shit fit over something like this.

Absolutely. Today of all days.

Goady fucker

Nanny0gg · 11/09/2022 14:11

It's not about you. (or us)

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 11/09/2022 14:12

I live in the West Midlands and they say mom here. 9/11 happened in the states so it's 9/11

janj2301 · 11/09/2022 14:14

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FourTeaFallOut · 11/09/2022 14:16

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Is that supposed to be funny?

absolutelyanythingwilldo · 11/09/2022 14:17

I don't have a problem calling it 9/11. That is now the name of the event rather than an actual date. The American date format in general I do find irksome.

SmudgeButt · 11/09/2022 14:18

Frankly I get annoyed when Brits (& others) say "America" when they mean the USA. America is 2 continents - North America and South America. To reduce the meaning down to one country (albeit a very noisy and self entitled one) is disrespectful of all the other countries in America. I accept that the citizens who live in/originate from the USA call themselves American.

Pedantic? Yes.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.