Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask why people vote Tory?

596 replies

Tierne · 07/09/2022 14:25

It has to be said that life in the UK on low or middle income is much harder than it seemingly is in other western countries of similar wealth. I dont think the Tory party is making this country a nice place to live in at all. But they keep getting voted in.

So if you vote Tory:
Why do you vote for them?
Would you ever change your vote and for what reason?
Do you feel uncomfortable at how Tory policies batter the most vulnerable in our society? For example making it impossible for people to get on the housing ladder, high rents and low tenant protections, no energy bill caps, etc?

NB: I dont want this to turn into a Tory bashing thread. I'd just like to hear how Tory supporters feel about their party.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Culldesack · 09/09/2022 17:24

Anyway, just watching the news and how poignant these hours are and are going to be. I am bowing out of this thread x

Thesinisterdiagram · 09/09/2022 17:53

Kashmirsilver · 09/09/2022 12:28

Do you realize the jobs/employment market is cyclical? So as groups of people enter one sector others leave. Usually up-skilling.
Now if a person can't for whatever reason then there will be a wealth gap, however, there's nothing wrong with wealth gaps. Consumer markets have goods and services for all levels.

For example, I have customers who pay £70 or one who was happy to pay £3850 for a set of bath taps.

Now the other issue is IQ and personal motivations, we're all different, and people have various reasons for being where they are.

Yes I do realise that people will enter and leave sectors, but again, are there enough well paid jobs for those currently in low paid ones to move into? Most companies have far more lower rung staff then higher level ones, so surely this would create a funnel effect and we’d just end up with a load of qualified but underemployed people.

I think everyone deserves adequate housing, food and enough money for the odd treat, not just those who decide to ‘better themselves’ and it saddens me that this seems to be considered a ‘woke far left’ opinion these days.

izimbra · 09/09/2022 18:04

justaladyLOL · 09/09/2022 16:48

Because Labour are just woke and have no interest in people who get off their a==e and work hard to earn a good living and look after themselves and their family I guess
I could never dream of voting for a party that has the vile racist Diane Abbot in it personally
Or that says it will increase corporation tax - if my corp tax goes up the fist thing i do is look at costs and lose staff
Or that says if a company has 250 plus employees it will take 10% of that company
Or that someone who works for the company who has never run a business should be on the bard and entitled to make decisions about the companies structure and business plan and operation
Or that wants to invite rubbish like Shamima begum back into the uk who is unemployable and will luve off tax that I pay for the rest of her life
And I could go on .....................

Woke means 'alert to injustice' - I can see how that would be offensive to a Conservative.

And personal taxes were lower under the last Labour government, and economic growth was stronger.

You know that don't you?

When you say that Labour doesn't care about people who work - most Labour voters work, so why wouldn't the Labour Party care about workers?

Abhannmor · 09/09/2022 18:05

I think you are reasonable to ask . Alas, I don't know the answer.

Freedomfighters · 09/09/2022 18:40

Woke means 'alert to injustice' - I can see how that would be offensive to a Conservative.

Woke justice: calling people racist, bigots, white supremacists, transphobes etc online, name calling for those with a different opinion, doxing people and reporting them to their employers to try and get them sacked. Organising offline off line with masks, antifa, harassing women and trying to get female events shut down. Laughs in the face of child protection, rationality and general decency. Alert to justice, but only some justice, at the expense and fairness of justice for others.

Yep. You're right. I find woke people pretty offensive.

izimbra · 09/09/2022 19:21

"Woke justice: calling people racist, bigots, white supremacists, transphobes etc online, name calling for those with a different opinion, doxing people and reporting them to their employers to try and get them sacked."

Do you mean calling people who aren't racist bigots, racist bigots?

That's not 'woke'. That's 'lying'.

MarshaBradyo · 09/09/2022 19:23

Woke becomes problematic for me when it encompasses removing women’s rights.

otherwise it’s not an issue

But Labour has fully embraced gender politics so they won’t get my vote

izimbra · 09/09/2022 19:28

Tell you what though, I'm 56 and I experienced some really horrible misogyny as a young woman - sexual harassment by employers including sexual coercion.

Witnessed some horrible racism as well. In those days you you just put up and shut up.

These days 'wokery' means employers would be much more reluctant to openly engage in those forms of harassment and discrimination.

Good, yes?

izimbra · 09/09/2022 19:32

"Woke becomes problematic for me when it encompasses removing women’s rights."

What - like access to legal aid to challenge employers over sexual discrimination at work, which has increased in recent years with more women being sacked or demoted while on maternity leave?

Or failure to provide safe maternity care, or a decent maternity allowance for women workers in the hog economy?

Is that what you mean? Or is this about trans women being allowed to use women's toilets?

izimbra · 09/09/2022 19:33

'Hog economy'?

Gig economy. Bear

MarshaBradyo · 09/09/2022 19:35

When I see language erased such as mother or woman

I’ll fight that to the end. I was very moved and happy to hear the speeches at HoL reinstating correct language recently.

It’s important to me my sex is defined and recognised in law.

I won’t follow Labour down a path where sex matters less than gender.

Freedomfighters · 09/09/2022 19:37

That's not 'woke'. That's 'lying'.

They often go hand in hand yes.

DdraigGoch · 10/09/2022 02:46

Culldesack · 09/09/2022 16:26

I'm not surprised, after Covid. I dread to think how the Labour Party would have handled it.

I don't think that a Corbyn Government (had the 2019 election turned out differently) would have been able to borrow the funds required for furlough. I don't think that the markets would have had the confidence to buy gilts from John McDonnell in those quantities.

As for their pandemic response in general, who knows?

DdraigGoch · 10/09/2022 02:52

Blossomtoes · 09/09/2022 17:05

It’s pretty rich when it was Theresa May’s government that proposed self ID less than five years ago. Memories are short.

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/18/theresa-may-plans-to-let-people-change-gender-without-medical-checks

"But Theresa May" is about as irrelevant as "but Jeremy Corbyn" when talking about future issues. Both are back on the backbenchers, both parties have new leaders. I don't care what May's government wanted to do in the past , I care what Truss' government (or any potential alternative at the ballot box) wants to do in the future - that's what actually matters.

Blossomtoes · 10/09/2022 10:53

DdraigGoch · 10/09/2022 02:52

"But Theresa May" is about as irrelevant as "but Jeremy Corbyn" when talking about future issues. Both are back on the backbenchers, both parties have new leaders. I don't care what May's government wanted to do in the past , I care what Truss' government (or any potential alternative at the ballot box) wants to do in the future - that's what actually matters.

That makes no sense. Why would single issue voters on gender ID pin their hopes on a party that was actually responsible for the initial bill? There are just as many Tory MPs who favour self ID as Labour MPs. Added to which, the Tories’ recent record on issues that impact on women is woeful.

Freedomfighters · 10/09/2022 13:00

Blossomtoes · 10/09/2022 10:53

That makes no sense. Why would single issue voters on gender ID pin their hopes on a party that was actually responsible for the initial bill? There are just as many Tory MPs who favour self ID as Labour MPs. Added to which, the Tories’ recent record on issues that impact on women is woeful.

Liz truss doesn't favour self ID. And neither do many of the cabinet members she has surrounded herself with. It's a reasonable start. And Theresa May is in the past. So it doesn't really matter any more. What matters is what happens going forward. And every other party does favour self ID. So if this is the most important thing then voting Tory is the obvious choice at the moment. I'm not a single issue voter. But this one of the many things that are important to me.

Kashmirsilver · 10/09/2022 13:01

Thesinisterdiagram · 09/09/2022 17:53

Yes I do realise that people will enter and leave sectors, but again, are there enough well paid jobs for those currently in low paid ones to move into? Most companies have far more lower rung staff then higher level ones, so surely this would create a funnel effect and we’d just end up with a load of qualified but underemployed people.

I think everyone deserves adequate housing, food and enough money for the odd treat, not just those who decide to ‘better themselves’ and it saddens me that this seems to be considered a ‘woke far left’ opinion these days.

I believe people have adequate housing, food, and money for the odd treat in the UK. Even if by proxy it's me that's paying for it.
What I don't like is the jealous reaction to those who accumulate more resources than others.
I certainly know dp and I never work less than 60 hrs a week other than when we're off. To offset the longer hrs we do take plenty of holidays.

Tralalalalalalalalalala · 10/09/2022 13:11

I vote Tory because there is absolutely no other option. The Greens have forgotten what their party should be standing for, Labour hate women too and Lib Dem can't define a woman either.

Blossomtoes · 10/09/2022 13:27

Liz truss doesn't favour self ID. And neither do many of the cabinet members she has surrounded herself with.

And how long do you think Truss and her cabinet (which includes Mordaunt who does stand for self ID) will last? Not long if her economic literacy doesn’t improve very quickly because the country will be bankrupt. There are plenty of Tory MPs who don’t agree with Truss so, while your faith in the Tories is touching, it’s misplaced.

Freedomfighters · 10/09/2022 14:24

Blossomtoes · 10/09/2022 13:27

Liz truss doesn't favour self ID. And neither do many of the cabinet members she has surrounded herself with.

And how long do you think Truss and her cabinet (which includes Mordaunt who does stand for self ID) will last? Not long if her economic literacy doesn’t improve very quickly because the country will be bankrupt. There are plenty of Tory MPs who don’t agree with Truss so, while your faith in the Tories is touching, it’s misplaced.

I have no idea how long she will last. Long enough to make a difference I hope. And as a Tory member, I voted her in. Enjoy.

Blossomtoes · 10/09/2022 17:49

I think she’ll definitely make a difference. I doubt it will be for the better.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?