My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Teacher keeping Y1s behind for 15 minutes?

126 replies

OMeOMy · 06/09/2022 15:06

Yesterday was DC's 1st day in Y1 and my first day back at work after mat leave (WFH). I'd negotiated taking a late lunch to allow me to pick up DC from school. The teacher kept them all behind for 15 mins. When I asked DC (admittedly not necessarily a reliable witness) he said some of the children at the back of the queue were being noisy and the teacher wouldn't let them all our until they stopped messing around. AIBU to think this was unreasonable on the teacher's part? I was 15 mins late logging back on to work on my first day back - presumably other parents had similar commitments/potentially other kids to collect. I'm still quite new to being a school parent so keen to hear other people's thoughts before potentially mentioning something to the school (if this happens again). Ta!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

425 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
FrippEnos · 06/09/2022 19:03

JudgeRindersMinder · 06/09/2022 18:08

ODFOD

Teacher keeping Y1s behind for 15 minutes?
Youaremysunshine14 · 06/09/2022 19:06

On MN there is this unspoken rule that teachers can never be wrong.

I think it's more that teachers get on the defensive on MN because there are SO many threads bashing them. Some parents seem to think teachers are in their employ by virtue that they send their kids to school.

Take this thread, for instance. While I agree 15 minutes on the first day is too much, sometimes classes do come out a bit late – it turns out teachers are not on the clock to suit parents, because they're not doing babysitting hours. Classroom behaviour is really important and kids need to learn that they must do as the teacher says, for safety reasons if nothing else. If someone's child got punched in the queue, that parent would probably start a thread saying the teacher was doing a terrible job keeping the kids in check!

autienotnaughty · 06/09/2022 19:07

Surtsey · 06/09/2022 15:31

Perhaps the children need to learn to do as they are told then.

It's day 1. Learning takes more than 1 day.

Kashmirsilver · 06/09/2022 19:09

Youaremysunshine14 · 06/09/2022 18:34

Teaching kids to behave when queuing is not teachers being uninterested in timekeeping, it's them doing their job of behaviour management. 15 mins is too much - teacher should've made them queue up earlier to practise.

I agree with training them I also agree with discipline.
Not at the end of the day though.

People have things to be getting on with. I can not understand why the kids aren't ready to leave in plenty of time. Not once have my children exited on time at junior school.
Although the gate is locked promptly in the morning.🤣

plantseverywhere · 06/09/2022 19:09

This is insane. If nothing else, fuck extending my work day by 15 minutes, I have too much to do once the kids are gone!

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 19:22

autienotnaughty · 06/09/2022 19:07

It's day 1. Learning takes more than 1 day.

That's exactly why the teacher is starting as she means to go on. She's ensuring that the children know, right from day 1, that they need to do as they are told.

Novum · 06/09/2022 19:23

Teachers need to be tough at the beginning of the year, it pays off in terms of discipline for the rest of the year - so that is probably what this teacher was aiming at.

If you're on that tight a timetable, maybe you need to make different arrangements for collecting your child?

mam0918 · 06/09/2022 19:41

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 18:52

I don't need any additional training thank you. I was a highly regarded teacher for many years. I have taught hundreds of children. My classes never needed to be kept in at home time, they were expected to be well behaved.
Maybe standards have dropped.

All that past tense... so to uphold modern standards you would indeed need training, you just proved PP point.

Anon778833 · 06/09/2022 19:47

Novum · 06/09/2022 19:23

Teachers need to be tough at the beginning of the year, it pays off in terms of discipline for the rest of the year - so that is probably what this teacher was aiming at.

If you're on that tight a timetable, maybe you need to make different arrangements for collecting your child?

Or maybe there is no excuse for punishing children who did nothing wrong!

Where is the incentive for a child to behave well if they are going to be made liable for someone else’s bad behaviour?

Youaremysunshine14 · 06/09/2022 20:00

Anon778833 · 06/09/2022 19:47

Or maybe there is no excuse for punishing children who did nothing wrong!

Where is the incentive for a child to behave well if they are going to be made liable for someone else’s bad behaviour?

You're assuming it was just one or two children being noisy while the rest lined up like solemn little angels, when on the first day in a new class in Y1 it's far more likely there was too much chatter from all of them, not sticking to the line, being distracted, not listening, etc. So the teacher dealt with it collectively to make them all understand how they're expected to behave.

pastypirate · 06/09/2022 20:05

Brace yourself op just wait until they have afternoon assemblies then they gone out late every single week while your bp goes through the roof.

OMeOMy · 06/09/2022 20:10

Interesting answers - thanks. I wasn't even particularly questioning the teacher's behaviour management if it did pan out as DC suggested, which as acknowledged it may not have done (although it seems a bit OTT to do a whole class punishment I don't really have a problem with it as DC will need to get used to inconvenient/ unreasonable stuff happening from time to time!s). It was more about whether it's reasonable to keep a class back for a significant chunk of time with no notice given the practical implications for parents.

For those questioning why my DC might be an unreliable witness - he's five! I live 25 mins walk from school with no car so leave 10 mins for contingencies - I got there 10 mins early and the kids were then 15 mins late coming out. Hence I used up 75 minutes on the pickup.

It didn't happen again today but the teacher wasn't there at pickup and apparently left unexpectedly early so I wonder whether there are possibly some personal issues going on.

I'm absolutely not going to say anything this time. thanks again!

OP posts:
Anon778833 · 06/09/2022 20:23

Youaremysunshine14 · 06/09/2022 20:00

You're assuming it was just one or two children being noisy while the rest lined up like solemn little angels, when on the first day in a new class in Y1 it's far more likely there was too much chatter from all of them, not sticking to the line, being distracted, not listening, etc. So the teacher dealt with it collectively to make them all understand how they're expected to behave.

I think you’re the one assuming 🤣

SnowdaySewday · 06/09/2022 20:44

The class needs to be under control, so rather than a punishment, the most likely scenario is that the teacher waited a short time for the class to be calm - and then your child wasn't first out the door.

Even if the teacher had started to dismiss the class exactly on time, it would take a few minutes, on the first few days especially, in order to match up every child with their parent. Once everyone is familiar with each other, it runs much quicker but you clearly didn’t allow enough time for this pick up.

Most parents have more than one child to collect, so there would have been teachers in Years 2, 3 etc waiting with the siblings of children in this class for their parents to collect them. It would have been noticed if a class really was that slow in being dismissed, especially since it's the first day of term, and the headteacher would have stepped in.

MrsBonnie · 06/09/2022 20:45

Y1 teacher here - what a daft thing to do!

Doyoucursewhereyoucomefrom · 06/09/2022 20:52

The class needs to be under control, so rather than a punishment, the most likely scenario is that the teacher waited a short time for the class to be calm - and then your child wasn't first out the door.

Even if the teacher had started to dismiss the class exactly on time, it would take a few minutes, on the first few days especially, in order to match up every child with their parent. Once everyone is familiar with each other, it runs much quicker but you clearly didn’t allow enough time for this pick up.

Most parents have more than one child to collect, so there would have been teachers in Years 2, 3 etc waiting with the siblings of children in this class for their parents to collect them. It would have been noticed if a class really was that slow in being dismissed, especially since it's the first day of term, and the headteacher would have stepped in.

Urm...that's not true. My child was about third out of the door but they all came out in a line at pretty much the same time (15 mins after pickup was due). One they were out I'd collected my son within about 30 seconds.

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 21:04

mam0918 · 06/09/2022 19:41

All that past tense... so to uphold modern standards you would indeed need training, you just proved PP point.

I'm afraid modern standards appear to be far below those of the past, judging by the very poor spelling and grammar I read on so many posts.

Kashmirsilver · 06/09/2022 21:10

The teachers should allow enough time for these situations. Not start organizing at 3 pm.
The children whatever the situation should be collected at 3 pm.

Snoozer11 · 06/09/2022 22:04

@Creativecrafts when I was at school I had two teachers in particular who considered themselves "highly regarded" and thought they were amongst the best in the school.

In reality, they were two of the worst. Completely out of touch, weak attempts at authority and an approach to teaching that just wasn't effective. They would pride themselves on "not using the textbook". But the resources they used instead weren't up to scratch or up to date.

It's entirely unreasonable to think you can steal 15 minutes of time from parents. It should not take 15 minutes to get everyone to be quiet and face the front.

HintofVintagePink · 06/09/2022 22:09

Sounds like this teacher can’t control 5 year olds and is resorting to group punishment, which is really shitty practice.

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 22:11

Snoozer11 · 06/09/2022 22:04

@Creativecrafts when I was at school I had two teachers in particular who considered themselves "highly regarded" and thought they were amongst the best in the school.

In reality, they were two of the worst. Completely out of touch, weak attempts at authority and an approach to teaching that just wasn't effective. They would pride themselves on "not using the textbook". But the resources they used instead weren't up to scratch or up to date.

It's entirely unreasonable to think you can steal 15 minutes of time from parents. It should not take 15 minutes to get everyone to be quiet and face the front.

I find it odd that because you had a certain experience, you appear to think that it must be true of all teachers who are 'highly regarded.' I taught over 20 years ago and I am still in regular touch with many of my former pupils and their parents.

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 22:13

@Snoozer11 My point exactly, it should not take 15 minutes to get a class quiet. It never did in my day, but the behaviour of many children has deteriorated considerably since then.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HintofVintagePink · 06/09/2022 22:28

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 22:13

@Snoozer11 My point exactly, it should not take 15 minutes to get a class quiet. It never did in my day, but the behaviour of many children has deteriorated considerably since then.

Yes but it’s not ‘your day’ now, is it.

I don’t condone bad behaviour.

I do have an issue with keeping 5 year olds behind after school. These are infants, who have spent nearly half their lives in a pandemic, in a world full of social media and pressure headed their way that we cannot possibly comprehend.

Perhaps we should be looking for ways to support and encourage and challenge and guide, rather than barking orders and meting out punishments when they aren’t followed to the letter.

Suedomin · 06/09/2022 22:39

don’t suppose the teacher wants to waste her time either, but I’d be prepared to bet that her class will line up in time tomorrow.
I'm sorry but the above is nonsense. These were 5 year olds. They will forget by tomorrow. The ones disadvantaged were the parents who may have missed appointments, been late picking up older children etc.

mam0918 · 07/09/2022 14:55

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 21:04

I'm afraid modern standards appear to be far below those of the past, judging by the very poor spelling and grammar I read on so many posts.

or historic ignorance was higher... if your having a dig at me the for the not so secrative record I have cerebal palsy and dyslexia.

If you have never struggled the be thankful for your ability and health privilage rather than mocking those who do have struggles.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.