My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Teacher keeping Y1s behind for 15 minutes?

126 replies

OMeOMy · 06/09/2022 15:06

Yesterday was DC's 1st day in Y1 and my first day back at work after mat leave (WFH). I'd negotiated taking a late lunch to allow me to pick up DC from school. The teacher kept them all behind for 15 mins. When I asked DC (admittedly not necessarily a reliable witness) he said some of the children at the back of the queue were being noisy and the teacher wouldn't let them all our until they stopped messing around. AIBU to think this was unreasonable on the teacher's part? I was 15 mins late logging back on to work on my first day back - presumably other parents had similar commitments/potentially other kids to collect. I'm still quite new to being a school parent so keen to hear other people's thoughts before potentially mentioning something to the school (if this happens again). Ta!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

425 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
ClocksGoingBackwards · 06/09/2022 17:57

I don’t suppose the teacher wants to waste her time either, but I’d be prepared to bet that her class will line up in time tomorrow.

Sometimes parents are asked to stay for a chat anyway, especially early in the term, so there was no guarantee that you were ever going to be out of the school quickly anyway.

You should be more concerned about making sure your child wasn’t one of the ones messing around considering you acknowledge he’s not a reliable witness.

OriginalUsername3 · 06/09/2022 18:01

I think it's pretty fucking stupid to have parents stood about outside waiting waiting kids to come out. And on the first day surely you cut them some slack.

Snoozer11 · 06/09/2022 18:06

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 16:22

It's easy to see from this thread how many parents are so entitled and unsupportive of their child's teachers.
If parents are inconvenienced by the children being kept in, it might lead to them talking to their child about the necessity of doing as their teacher tells them.

^ Some people really need their head pulling out their arse, don't they.

People have to get to work.

What part of that can't you understand?

JudgeRindersMinder · 06/09/2022 18:08

FrippEnos · 06/09/2022 17:08

And then you woke up.

ODFOD

RedToothBrush · 06/09/2022 18:13

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 16:22

It's easy to see from this thread how many parents are so entitled and unsupportive of their child's teachers.
If parents are inconvenienced by the children being kept in, it might lead to them talking to their child about the necessity of doing as their teacher tells them.

I am absolutely supportive of discipline. However being disciplined means setting a good example and being good with your own time management.

You make it seem like parents have an option on how long they have to collect children when they are working or have an option on where they have to be 30 mins after they get home. Many do not.

I don't have to worry about this, but I'd still consider it poor performance on the part of the teacher and a poor appreciation of parental pressures.

Ultimately its not in any child's interests for their parent to be getting formal warnings at work (or worse) as a result of a teacher's lack of punctuality.

Snoozer11 · 06/09/2022 18:13

ILoveMonday · 06/09/2022 17:56

Generally busy parents who can't be arsed to teach their children to be respectful are the reasons why teachers have to do this sort of thing. Not everything can be left to the school to do

Parents who are busy usually have to go to work in order to pay their fucking bills.

Snoozer11 · 06/09/2022 18:20

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 17:43

A year 1 teacher might well do this, especially at the start of term when they are trying to impose some order in their class. Parents who think this is wrong obviously are not teachers themselves and have no idea of class management.

Manage the class on your own time. The teacher has had since 9am to impose order. Why do they need an extra 15 minutes?

A good teacher would have realised it may take time and got them to line up earlier.

I love this idea that teachers are all-knowing and always right. And only a teacher could possibly know how to manage a class and keep to a schedule.

Primary school teachers tend not to be particularly highly qualified or overly intelligent. Particularly those who teach the lower years.

It IS wrong to keep a class behind, just as it would be wrong to let them leave 15 minutes early.

If there was an accident, and the child was still in school 10 minutes after the end of the day without the consent of the parent, would the school still be insured?

Sh05 · 06/09/2022 18:20

Oh I agree completely, it shouldn't happen. I was just wondering aloud really not justifying what the teacher did. Even in high school we're advised not to keep the kids back unless it's a pre arranged detention, not even all high schoolers have mobiles and if they miss the bus then they could be stuck waiting another 40 minutes for the next one.
For year 1 pupils a few minutes off playtime normally does the trick, no need to wait till home time when they're all excited but tired to try and enforce the rules.
And it's not entitled behaviour by any parents to expect their child to finish school on/ around the finishing time, there's many who will be collecting older/ younger ones up from other establishments.

Sh05 · 06/09/2022 18:21

@Wakinguptooearly sorry that was in reply to you.

balalake · 06/09/2022 18:25

I am not in favour of whole class punishments or sanctions. I am sure the teacher knew who the worst ones were at least.

IchbineinBerlinerin · 06/09/2022 18:26

When I worked in a school, we always went easy on the 5th grade for the first few weeks as acknowledged it was a big change up to high school for them and they needed time to adjust. I'd say keeping year 1 behind for 15 minutes is not on for the first day.

Kashmirsilver · 06/09/2022 18:26

If the day ends at 3 pm.
The kids should be out at 3 pm.
Not 3:10 pm, or any other time regardless of who's done what where, and when.
I sometimes have to go back to work or pick the other child up.
I oft think teachers are on another planet half the time.

Porcupineintherough · 06/09/2022 18:27

@Snoozer11 of course they bloody would. Hmm

LibbyL92 · 06/09/2022 18:29

If children are being noisy and not behaving in the line it’s important for the teacher to get them under control.

it could be deemed unsafe if the children aren’t following instructions in order for them to be kept safe.

coming out to the playground is a nightmare. (If that’s how they are dismissed)
it’s important the children are listening.

womaninatightspot · 06/09/2022 18:30

Wouldn’t happen in our school. Half the dc are on school buses. The offenders should of been taken to parents by teacher to have a quick chat.

SunnyD44 · 06/09/2022 18:32

YABU

These are the early days so it is going to take a while for them to make sure they’ve got everything and it should get easier.

Although these things happen and you need to expect that you’re going to be waiting around from now on.

In 6 years I don’t think my DD ever came out just as the bell went.
Usually they’re just a few minutes late but sometimes it’s absolutely ages!

Youaremysunshine14 · 06/09/2022 18:34

Kashmirsilver · 06/09/2022 17:18

Interesting how teachers seem uninterested in timekeeping.

Teaching kids to behave when queuing is not teachers being uninterested in timekeeping, it's them doing their job of behaviour management. 15 mins is too much - teacher should've made them queue up earlier to practise.

LilacPoppy · 06/09/2022 18:38

@Thereoncewasahorridmama perfect user name.

ChampagneLassie · 06/09/2022 18:39

That's ridiculous. I taught primary KS2 years ago and once held Y5 class back 5 mins - 3 parents complained and I got a blocking from head, I wasn't aware it was frowned upon but for exactly the reasons lota of people are outlining. Completely unreasonable for Y1

KatherineofGaunt · 06/09/2022 18:42

I'd like to think someone from SLT would have noticed they'd not been dismissed and gone to investigate before 15 minutes! Not okay.

Even in my NQT year, I was about 7 minutes' late taking my class downstairs and someone came up to check where we were; two boys had been having a fight at the back and I was trying to stop them, with no TA to take the rest of the class.

OP, hopefully the teacher will not make this a thing they can do each time. They need to spend some class time practising lining up and walking out, rather than spending time at the end of the day, thinking about the logistics of who needs to walk near her, who can be trusted at the back etc. so the whole thing runs smoothly. Then she needs to start them lining up at least 5 minutes early, until they can do it quickly and quietly.

Kids have all kinds of clubs and things after school, as well as parents and work. It can be pressure to get everyone out on time, but it's necessary!

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 06/09/2022 18:48

Anon778833 · 06/09/2022 17:46

On MN there is this unspoken rule that teachers can never be wrong. Yes they can! They can also be narcissistic people or unfair just the same as personality types in any other job type.

oh and I come from a family of teachers.

That isn’t even true just for this thread, @MondaysChild7 - never mind all of MN.

Creativecrafts · 06/09/2022 18:52

BestTeacherMug · 06/09/2022 17:53

Teacher here and this teacher is a twat, has no idea what the behaviour policy is, has no idea how to manage behaviour as a class and sounds like she's probably disliked by colleagues, children and parents.

@Creativecrafts you need some additional training, my dear.

I don't need any additional training thank you. I was a highly regarded teacher for many years. I have taught hundreds of children. My classes never needed to be kept in at home time, they were expected to be well behaved.
Maybe standards have dropped.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ThickCutSteakChips · 06/09/2022 18:54

15 mins is a lot, but if its just a one off to set the rules and whip them into shape early doors then it's ok.

If she does this regularly it's a problem and not acceptable at all.

Sailorchick14 · 06/09/2022 18:56

If my year 1 daughter was kept in for 15 minutes over then I would be late collecting her older sister from her school (one in infant school/one in junior school). I would be royally pissed as that would impact on the junior school staff having to look after my child until I got there late. The schools have staggered finish to let parents walk the 10 min between schools to do both pick ups.

BCBird · 06/09/2022 19:02

The school will have a policy re keeping pupils behind without notice. Ask what it is. If the teacher had adhered to this then, it may sound harsh, you have no reason to complain.The school day is not structured to cater for parents' schedules.
The teacher will probably not have to do this often before the.class get the message.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.