Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

was I (probably) scammed on ebay?

82 replies

grandsalam · 05/09/2022 18:47

I've used eBay a few times before and what I've ordered has always been dispatched 1 or 2 days after ordering with emails updating me. I bought an expensive-ish (for second hand) pram on Wednesday morning, it was uploaded on Tuesday the night before. the money left my account almost straight away. I contacted them asking when they would have it sent as I need it by the 12th and I havent even had a response yet. I thought they might not have expected it to sell so quickly so gave it some time. The listing said it would arrive by the 12th at the latest but its now been a week since ordering and they haven't even been to the post office with it as I surely would've had an email update. Im nervous because we wont even be here if they sent it any later, or if theyve got the money and I wont get it back? I don't know how it works.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

64 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
56%
You are NOT being unreasonable
44%
Guiltypleasures001 · 07/09/2022 18:50

The post office are refusing parcels if there's a strike coming , happened to us op

oakleaffy · 07/09/2022 18:53

grandsalam · 05/09/2022 19:03

debit card

UH OH …

zero protection via debit card..
Only EVER use PayPal goods and services.

wannadisc0 · 07/09/2022 19:19

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Thelittleweasel · 07/09/2022 19:38

@grandsalam

You do not "contact eBay". After the latest date for delivery on your purchase listing you go to the item and open a "non receipt" case. Unless the seller can prove delivery [by tracking etc] then you escalate the case after 3 full business days and get a refund. Ignore any plaints from the seller "wait a bit longer" "there's postal delays" and so on. Do not even reply. Open the case when able and escalate after just 3 full business days

whatamigoing2do · 07/09/2022 20:37

@grandsalam I sent 2 parcels today with eBay sales. There is no problem with that. They are taking the piss. Cancel the pram

ICrunchCrispsNotNumbers · 08/09/2022 00:13

@grandsalam the seller has to inform eBay that they've dispatched the item to you before they do so.

Once, I ordered a signed copy of a book, and I was quite surprised when it arrived, because I hadn't had a dispatch' email as I normally did. One day, months after I had received the item. EBay emailed me to say it had dispatched, because the seller had told them late! Mistakes do happen on there Smile

Itshotoutthere · 08/09/2022 00:18

Can't you ask them to post it to your new address?

IcedOatLatte · 08/09/2022 06:34

whatamigoing2do · 07/09/2022 20:37

@grandsalam I sent 2 parcels today with eBay sales. There is no problem with that. They are taking the piss. Cancel the pram

Or maybe the post office you used isn't the same as the sellers one and they aren't all operating the same rules

One of the reasons that I no longer sell on eBay is that my local PO closed down and it became too much hassle to try and fit in going to further away one around my working hours. If for some reason the seller can't use a courier it's understandable that there might be delays atm

Harridan1981 · 08/09/2022 15:07

They probably can only use Parcel force with a big parcel.

Debit card isn't an issue on eBay now they have broken the automatic link with PayPal

LIZS · 08/09/2022 15:10

Our local post offices are small and some close early on a Wednesday so can well understand them declining to accept a large parcel.

CircleofWillis · 08/09/2022 15:48

As previous posters have said ask them to wait a few days and post it to your new address. You might have to update your address on eBay for them to be happy to do this.

been and done it. · 08/09/2022 16:20

grandsalam · 05/09/2022 18:47

I've used eBay a few times before and what I've ordered has always been dispatched 1 or 2 days after ordering with emails updating me. I bought an expensive-ish (for second hand) pram on Wednesday morning, it was uploaded on Tuesday the night before. the money left my account almost straight away. I contacted them asking when they would have it sent as I need it by the 12th and I havent even had a response yet. I thought they might not have expected it to sell so quickly so gave it some time. The listing said it would arrive by the 12th at the latest but its now been a week since ordering and they haven't even been to the post office with it as I surely would've had an email update. Im nervous because we wont even be here if they sent it any later, or if theyve got the money and I wont get it back? I don't know how it works.

Ebay are very good. I've been on it 18 years. If there's an issue you'll be able to get your money back, in fact I'd contact them now to tell them what's going on as you bought this for a specific timeline and they seem to be messing about and not replying to you.

grandsalam · 12/09/2022 14:30

they said theyve sent it on friday evening for 24 hour delivery to arrive on monday and its not turned up. Is there a limit to how long I have to contact ebay about this?

OP posts:
Icanstillrecallourlastsummer · 12/09/2022 14:38

I think you need to chill out. Even with a company using a courier you couldnt' be sure of the delivery date 100%. You'e messaged them (repeatedly?), so I am sure they will do what they can to get it to you. If it's a little late it will all work out - the issues you've mentioned aren't unsurmountable!

mummymummymummummum · 12/09/2022 14:46

grandsalam · 12/09/2022 14:30

they said theyve sent it on friday evening for 24 hour delivery to arrive on monday and its not turned up. Is there a limit to how long I have to contact ebay about this?

There's several hours of delivery time left today (Monday).

Did they give you the tracking number?

EndTheMonacyNow · 12/09/2022 14:47

Hopefully you should still be ok. Have you the tracking info?

grandsalam · 12/09/2022 14:53

they didnt give me a tracking number

OP posts:
Gazelda · 12/09/2022 14:54

Get the details of the courier and ask the seller to send a pic of the despatch note/reference.
This should put your mind at rest.
What day are you moving?

friskybivalves · 12/09/2022 15:06

The seller should surely be wanting to give you every reassurance. I think the absence of a courier or tracking red for a big ticket item sounds fishy. Report to eBay saying: this may be OK but the buggy has cost me a lot of money and I cannot help but be concerned. And let them pursue it on your behalf. They will soon winkle out a dodgy transaction and if there is something amiss it's surely best you find out sooner rather than later.

eldora · 12/09/2022 15:45

I sell on eBay every week, recorded second class. I enter the tracking ID for every parcel on to eBay, regardless of whether the customer asks for it or not.

FlissyPaps · 12/09/2022 16:45

Ask seller for the tracking details.

If they don’t reply or can’t give you tracking details then open a case with eBay after 3 business days if you still have not received the item.

This information is all online for you. So I’m unsure why you are still posting on here???

was I (probably) scammed on ebay?
grandsalam · 13/09/2022 18:26

its tuesday, and still not here.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

grandsalam · 13/09/2022 18:29

I had messaged the seller on Friday asking if they had actually sent it then and they havent replied all this time and its tuesday so ive opened a request with ebay for a tracking number

OP posts:
grandsalam · 13/09/2022 18:31

before friday theyd said theyd try and send it on friday fingers crossed so i asked on the friday if theyd sent it no reply. I just assumed that they had but monday came up and its not come and its tuesday and they still havent replied

OP posts:
lifeohhifeee · 13/09/2022 18:32

I would be worrying now to.... it's sounds like they are messing you about now defo get Intouch with eBay

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.