Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

was I (probably) scammed on ebay?

82 replies

grandsalam · 05/09/2022 18:47

I've used eBay a few times before and what I've ordered has always been dispatched 1 or 2 days after ordering with emails updating me. I bought an expensive-ish (for second hand) pram on Wednesday morning, it was uploaded on Tuesday the night before. the money left my account almost straight away. I contacted them asking when they would have it sent as I need it by the 12th and I havent even had a response yet. I thought they might not have expected it to sell so quickly so gave it some time. The listing said it would arrive by the 12th at the latest but its now been a week since ordering and they haven't even been to the post office with it as I surely would've had an email update. Im nervous because we wont even be here if they sent it any later, or if theyve got the money and I wont get it back? I don't know how it works.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

64 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
56%
You are NOT being unreasonable
44%
sweetsalted · 05/09/2022 21:43

today is only the 5th Confused

KateBushyTail · 05/09/2022 21:48

So eBay works like this.

I upload an item and tell eBay it will take me 5 working days before I can dispatch it, and eBay know I will use Hermes or whatever and they know Hermes take say 4 days. That’s where the estimated delivery date comes from.

there’s loads of time until the due date, I would worry from the 10th.

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 16:11

just want to update, I sent a follow up message and they said they didn't get my first. Ive had an email to say they have posted it this morning. Bit worried if it will arrive on time as its the seventh

OP posts:
Harridan1981 · 07/09/2022 16:22

It's 5 days until the estimated delivery date.

FlissyPaps · 07/09/2022 16:56

just want to update, I sent a follow up message and they said they didn't get my first. Ive had an email to say they have posted it this morning. Bit worried if it will arrive on time as its the seventh

Glad you’ve not been scammed 😊

Did they tell you the courier and the ETA?

I wouldn’t worry. Buying from someone on eBay is very different to buying from a company via their direct site.

nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 16:59

It might not due to royal mail strikes - the couriers are very busy. but they've done their bit by posting it on time.

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:04

Another update. they havent actually sent it because of the strike.

OP posts:
nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 17:07

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:04

Another update. they havent actually sent it because of the strike.

Makes no sense. I posted something this morning.

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:09

nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 17:07

Makes no sense. I posted something this morning.

theyve said theyre not accepting parcels till after friday, so im guessing itll be monday before its sent? Really worried now.

OP posts:
LIZS · 07/09/2022 17:17

Are you worried it is a scam or do you need it by a particular date? Not sure I am understanding your anxiety.

nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 17:18

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has called on its members who collect, sort and deliver parcels and letters to take strike action on 26 and 31 August and the 8 and 9 September 2022. from Royal mail website.

nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 17:19

Ask them why they lied and said they'd posted it this morning?

hopeishere · 07/09/2022 17:20

Do you absolutely need it for that date?

Cuck00soup · 07/09/2022 17:24

Surely you would use a courier for such a large item rather than Royal Mail?

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:28

nachoavocado · 07/09/2022 17:19

Ask them why they lied and said they'd posted it this morning?

it was an email from ebay to say my order was being posted so they probably updated it then when they went to take it in couldnt post it

OP posts:
grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:32

hopeishere · 07/09/2022 17:20

Do you absolutely need it for that date?

were moving house over the next week or so. I dont really know how much i can postpone it by because we wont be here on that day. i cant wait much longer than the 12th. It would be inconvenient for it to arrive much later because the new owners would have my parcel and its hours and hours travel to the new place

OP posts:
Hesma · 07/09/2022 17:33

I was scammed once, reported it and got my money back

Flubber88 · 07/09/2022 17:34

Message the seller, explain the situation, and get it delivered to your new address instead.

toooldtocarewhoknows · 07/09/2022 17:35

You can chat to eBay about your worries with this item. They can advise you.

Go to the help section, select the item you'd like help with, select chat with an agent and type 'representative' when prompted in chat.

Dougieowner · 07/09/2022 17:39

As a buyer you have full protection from eBay but to have this you must raise a case.
If it hasn't been posted yet and you are worried it will go to the wrong address when it is posted you have two options.

1. Request to cancel the purchase on the grounds of late dispatch, poor communication etc and you will then get your money refunded.
  2. Tell the seller to hold onto it until you are ready to receive it at the new address.

Personally, unless it was a real bargain or an item not often available I would just say you want a full refund.
Redburnett · 07/09/2022 17:43

TBH you were unwise to buy an item so close to your moving date especially as you are moving a long distance. Private sellers should post within their given time frame but may not - that is a risk you take. On top of that items do occasionally get delayed in transit and take far longer than expected to arrive. If the item has not been posted it might be sensible to cancel the order.

MyneighbourisTotoro · 07/09/2022 17:45

Hi OP if they haven’t posted it yet can you give the seller an alternative address to send it to such as a friend or relative?

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Walrus6 · 07/09/2022 17:50

What do you want to happen? It’s not clear and so the seller is probably confused.

If you want to cancel the sale then contact eBay and request this. As it hasn’t actually been sent this is probably possible. And you’ll get all or most of your money back.

If you still want the pram at the price you paid by the date indicated, ask the seller to use a different postage method. I am very surprised a pram is being sent via Royal Mail! Couriers are still working and can be booked easily. Ask that they sent it this way to ensure it is received by the date they originally said (ie the date you need it).

grandsalam · 07/09/2022 17:54

Walrus6 · 07/09/2022 17:50

What do you want to happen? It’s not clear and so the seller is probably confused.

If you want to cancel the sale then contact eBay and request this. As it hasn’t actually been sent this is probably possible. And you’ll get all or most of your money back.

If you still want the pram at the price you paid by the date indicated, ask the seller to use a different postage method. I am very surprised a pram is being sent via Royal Mail! Couriers are still working and can be booked easily. Ask that they sent it this way to ensure it is received by the date they originally said (ie the date you need it).

I thought this but in their message to me theyve said they can only use parcelforce

OP posts:
NippyWoowoo · 07/09/2022 17:59

Could you ask to have it couriered? RM aren't the only ones delivering

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.