or
to access all these features

Buying a house with a “granny annex” and having DM move in

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:25

Good idea?

YANBU - Yes
YABU - No

Experiences welcome :)

I’m thinking about selling up and buying a larger house with a detached granny annex. I own both my house and the house DM lives in, I lived there before moving to my current house.

DM is 60, independent and keeps herself to herself. Although she is struggling to keep up with the 3 bed house she is in as it has a large garden and she is not capable of keeping on top of it. She isn’t a rich lady and works a minimum wage job, no way could she afford a cleaner or Gardner.

It doesn’t seem a bad idea and I know she would be willing to but it’s a jump that’s not easily reversed.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Aquamarine1029 · 06/08/2022 13:31

A LOT more information is needed. How is your relationship? Are you married, have kids?

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:32

Our relationship is fine. Not married and don’t have kids although would like to have kids in a few years time.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SavoirFlair · 06/08/2022 13:32

Aquamarine1029 · 06/08/2022 13:31

A LOT more information is needed. How is your relationship? Are you married, have kids?

Agreed

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:33

I’m 32 if that helps.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JuneOsborne · 06/08/2022 13:38

We did it. Now my dbro and his partner live in the annex after my mum died. Separate front doors, separate bathrooms bedrooms and kitchens. Effectively 2 house on one plot. Worked a treat for us and works brilliantly now. No brainer for me.

But, we all like and love each other!

Please
or

OperaStation · 06/08/2022 13:39

It’s a difficult one. You would be basically ensuring that you are the one to provide support going forwards. I think that would be less of a commitment if you had already had your own family and they had grown up and moved out. However, you possibly still have all of that to come PLUS looking after your mum.

My main concern would be that if it all does become too much you can’t just sell the granny annex and pay for her to live into sheltered accommodation or similar because the granny annex is part of your home.

Can’t she just downsize to a nearby property?

60 also seems a little young to be giving up some of your freedom to move into a granny annex owned by someone else.

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:39

@JuneOsborne Yep it would be a separate building away from the main house

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 06/08/2022 13:39

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:32

Our relationship is fine. Not married and don’t have kids although would like to have kids in a few years time.

Do you have a partner? Do they live with you?

Please
or

HollyBollyBooBoo · 06/08/2022 13:40

Will she be able to cope with the noise and hustle & bustle kids bring in a few years time? Very different stages of life.

Please
or

sunsetsandsandybeaches · 06/08/2022 13:40

How would your partner/future partner feel about practically living with their MIL?

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:42

@OperaStation

thank you and some good points.

she is already in my old house which is owned by me, she only has minimal savings so would never be able to buy or rent her own place.

OP's posts:
Please
or

redskyatnight · 06/08/2022 13:43

The absolutely key thing is your relationship and how you feel about her living there. Will you want her popping in all the time? Will she interfere? Will she be understanding of your "boundaries"? Will you be understanding of hers?

Never in a million years would I move my own mother into a granny annexe, but that's because you she would criticise everything I did and try to take over. You relationship is presumably different.

Please
or

Dotcheck · 06/08/2022 13:44

I think it’s lovely OP
I would have a conversation about expectations and boundaries though.
Ideally an annex that is quite separate would be ideal, so you can both come and go without being in each other’s business

Please
or

Twillow · 06/08/2022 13:46

Living together worked well for us. DM was declining, and I was already spending so much time driving over to sort out little things like the remote control 'not working'. Then she started to have falls and independent living became even harder. We didn't have a granny annexe but made it work. It was the closest we've ever been in our lives I think, I'm so glad I did it and she didn't end up a care home.

Please
or

DeedIDo · 06/08/2022 13:51

OP, you might want to either re-post on the Elderly Parents board or ask @MNHQ to move this post over there, where there is vast experience on this sort of thing.

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:53

yes I have a partner he stays over a few days a week

@HollyBollyBooBoo it would be rural so annex far from the main house and a few acres of land

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pantsinthewash · 06/08/2022 13:53

I speak as the partner of someone whose parent lived in a similar, but not identical set up. As my parent-in-law's increasing age and needs progressed, I felt our privacy, independence and freedom was significantly affected, and not in a good way. If you are thinking of having a partner in the future, you really need to recognise that whilst your relationship with your mum is fine and you are happy at the prospect of such an arrangement, a partner may find it very stifling and unsustainable. There are many threads on here about similar situations.

Please
or

cubicfeet · 06/08/2022 13:56

@Dotcheck luckily she keeps herself to herself. Her mother has very interfering.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlueWhat · 06/08/2022 13:57

DeedIDo · 06/08/2022 13:51

OP, you might want to either re-post on the Elderly Parents board or ask @MNHQ to move this post over there, where there is vast experience on this sort of thing.

Omg she's NOT an elderly parent! She's fucking 60!!!!

You know most of us are still working, travelling around the world, going out!

For the love of god!!

Please
or

TheGrumpiest · 06/08/2022 14:01

I think annexes work well until the point that personal care is needed for the elderly parent. It's very difficult to predict when and to what extent the care will be needed. Do not underestimate the toll it will take on you and your family when elderly parents get to this point. It's very difficult, almost impossible to imagine, until you experience it. I would make sure, whatever you decide, that you have a plan in place to be able to either access or generate funding for care. This maybe care at home or a care home. My father had a severe stroke in his late 70s and my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons at 80. Both very fit and healthly people till this point. Very thankful that they had the funds to buy in care and then eventually will be able to sell their house to pay for care homes. You do not want to be at the mercy of council funded care when your parents get to this point (if you can avoid it). Not because council funded care is bad. It's just the bar is very high to get it and you have no choice in what is provided.

Please
or

thesandwich · 06/08/2022 14:02

As pp have said, please look at the elderly parent board- I’m older than your dm but still providing care for my 95+ year old dm who lives 5 mins walk away.
this is a very long term decision.
on the board are lots of others who have been through what you describe. And being remote will make sourcing care really tricky.
eyes wide open, op.

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 06/08/2022 14:02

Will she be happy being rural? Does she drive?

Please
or

GG1986 · 06/08/2022 14:04

What does your partner think about it? Is he someone you think will eventually move in with you and have children etc? Your mum is still quite young, how does she feel about living so close to you? Do you have a good relationship with her?

Please
or

OperaStation · 06/08/2022 14:06

BlueWhat · 06/08/2022 13:57

Omg she's NOT an elderly parent! She's fucking 60!!!!

You know most of us are still working, travelling around the world, going out!

For the love of god!!

Keep your pants on. She was simply suggesting that there is a wealth of experience if this kind of parent-child living arrangement on the other board.

Please
or

ohblowmedown · 06/08/2022 14:07

@BlueWhat I think the point is there will be plenty of people on that board who've done this with their parents so will be able to advise on any pitfalls to look out for.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.