Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Asking someone to move seats on a flight? Aibu ?

wearejustfriends · 18/04/2022 14:31

Last week I was travelling to Gran Canaria with TUI.
I had booked mine and boyfriends seats when we booked and paid £22 for both.
I had the window and he had the middle.

A lady sat on the end and her daughter was in front.
She asked could they have our two seats and we have hers /daughters or my boyfriend switch with her daughter.
I politely said no.
Which she wasn't happy about.
We got "what difference does it make"
"Your adults,my daughter is sacred of flying and is a minor"

Anyway we wouldn't move.

Was I in the wrong ?
Surely if she was that bothered she could have paid like us.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Xztop · 18/04/2022 14:44

You are completely in the right imo! I wouldn't have moved either. She was just trying it on

Please
or

Cherryblossoms85 · 18/04/2022 14:46

TUI has never seated me separately to my kids and I never pay extra. But then they're also under 10 so I expect that is their policy. If her child was presumably older, she should have paid.

Please
or

PlayDohDots · 18/04/2022 14:46

YANBU. If someone is so scared of flying that they need to be seated with a parent/partner then you obviously pay in advance to reserve seats along with checking in online 24hrs to ensure you have the boarding card. Been doing this for almost 2 decades so it's not a new system or technology by any means.

Asking people to switch seats on the plane is just being a CF. If it had been truly unplanned, such as a last min rebooking onto a different flight then she needed to explain that to the stewardess and have them arrange the seat change.

Please
or

galacticpixels · 18/04/2022 14:47

You're not being unreasonable. If I hadn't paid and had just happened to be sitting next to DP, I might consider moving. But there's no way would I move when I paid money for those seats!

Please
or

girlmom21 · 18/04/2022 14:47

Did you tell her you'd paid extra?

Please
or

VivX · 18/04/2022 14:47

If seats made "no difference" then she should have applied the same reasoning to herself.
And if her dd "was scared of flying and a minor" then she should have forked out for prebooked seats.

She was a CF for trying to guilt trip you.

Please
or

LaurieFairyCake · 18/04/2022 14:50

Last time someone asked me this I said of course I would for the £40 I'd paid extra to sit together (loudly)

When she said 'why would I pay you for them' I said (again loudly) 'why would I give you £40 for free'

Lots of people smiling near me... Grin

Please
or

SynchroSwimmer · 18/04/2022 14:52

“No, we are happy in the seats that we have chosen” - would be my standard answer.

Please
or

Rockbird · 18/04/2022 14:52

I would have moved because I'm an absolute mug Blush but you were definitely not unreasonable not to. She was chancing it and should have paid like everyone else.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 18/04/2022 14:52

Flights are often cheap these days so the airline does the seat price which is no small fee

Not far off going to a restaurant and asking for the person next to you £22 meal because you haven’t eaten yet

Annoying that she thought it up for grabs

Please
or

Fr0thandBubble · 18/04/2022 14:54

I wouldn't have asked but I would have swapped if I had been asked.

Please
or

ExMachinaDeus · 18/04/2022 14:54

YANBU. I wouldn't have moved either, but - like you I suspect - would have felt a bit guilty and mean even though I'd paid to choose my seats.

Please
or

IncompleteSenten · 18/04/2022 14:55

I would have said it cost us £x to book these seats. If you want us to swap with you then give us £x. Why should we pay so you can sit together.

Please
or

KnottyKnitting · 18/04/2022 14:55

This really bugs me- I have lost count of the number of times there have been parents on flights with small children who haven't paid to sit together and expect people who have to move!

Please
or

MrsLargeEmbodied · 18/04/2022 14:56

she put you in an awkward position by asking you
i bet you had Guilt

Please
or

midnight90 · 18/04/2022 14:57

You are absolutely not being unreasonable, the way I see it you are all going the same way at the same time on the same plane, doesn't matter if you are at the front of the plane or the back. If you paid for them seats they are yours to be sat in. I'd of told her that tbh. I agree with if she was that bothered why didn't she pay herself to be sat next to the kid

Please
or

MyBottleOfRibena · 18/04/2022 14:57

@Trudij123

She wasn’t unreasonable to ask and you weren’t unreasonable to say no.

I’m not sure it’s as easy as that though - don’t you have to sit where your ticket says so you can be identified if there’s an accident? ( might have made that up though - but it’s just popped into my head) have a great time!!

I don’t think this is true, I have flown with budget airlines that don’t allocate seating and it’s a mad free for all when you get on
Please
or

Marvellousmadness · 18/04/2022 14:57

YANBU
The mum should have sorted the seating situation out by just paying the money.

Please
or

toastofthetown · 18/04/2022 14:59

I wouldn't have moved either - or at least not without some kind of benefit to moving such as extra legroom seats or similar. Everyone is given the option to pay to select their seat and if it's important to you, you need to consider that cost when booking flights (similar to how you'd pay for luggage or drinks onboard). Airlines are not obliged to move children to sit next to their responsible adults. Across the aisle or in a neighbouring row counts. I also notice the use of the word should rather than must in the guidelines.

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.

Please
or

RonaldMcDonald · 18/04/2022 14:59

Yanbu

It is irritating that some people will use pressure tactics like this to bully you into doing what they want

Please
or

KosherDill · 18/04/2022 15:00

@Trudij123

She wasn’t unreasonable to ask and you weren’t unreasonable to say no.

I’m not sure it’s as easy as that though - don’t you have to sit where your ticket says so you can be identified if there’s an accident? ( might have made that up though - but it’s just popped into my head) have a great time!!

I think she was very unreasonable to ask. It's rude to put someone on the spot like that, particularly strangers.

Part of a holiday is the journey and if a couple has made arrangements to sit together, they shouldn't be prevailed upon to separate. If being together wasn't important, they may have each booked a window seat rather than one accepting a middle.

The only time it's reasonable to even ask is if you are offering a significant advantage to the askee, as in "We would like to swop our two first-class seats for yours in economy, so we can sit nearer our friends."

Otherwise, plan ahead like everyone else or take what you get without complaint.
Please
or

edwinbear · 18/04/2022 15:00

YANBU, she should have paid to ensure she was sat next to her daughter if it was important to her.

Agree with PP’s though that I hate this paying to reserve seats on planes. I’ve just checked the cost to pre-book seats for our holiday in the summer. For 4 of us, they want £200 each way! So we’ll take our chances. 10yr old DD should be sat next to a parent according to their website, but 12yr old DS could end up sat by himself. He’ll be OK and will spend 10yrs staring at the iPad/watching films, but can’t imagine whoever ends up sat next to him will be overly impressed.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 18/04/2022 15:00

I would have moved.......for 44 quid 😉

Please
or

starfishmummy · 18/04/2022 15:01

Yanbu to want to stay put, however I might have told her that I had paid extra to choose my seats and asked how much cash 💰 she was prepared to give me.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 18/04/2022 15:01

Airlines need to make it clear they can't guarantee that children will be sat directly next to their accompanying adults. Would make the whole scenario a lot less common.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.