Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My washing line annoying neighbour

384 replies

Afrodizzyak · 12/04/2022 16:21

We have a new neighbour who has complained to me about my laundry hanging on the line ruining her view. It's just run of the mill laundry, no crutchless knickers or bondage gear, so not offensive. At first I ignored her, but she later told me she had photographed it and would complain to council.
I'm not the only neighbour she has complained to, another about his whistling, which is piercing her ears, having sensitive hearing and she asked another neighbour to keep his windows and doors closed whilst cooking as it made her nauseous.
It's not just humans she intolerant of, if a bird is singing, she will start growling to scare it away.
Before she moved here, we all just dodged along fine.
Is there any law against hanging washing? I'm not tumble drying our family's wash when not necessary.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cockenspiel · 12/04/2022 16:23

She’s clearly batshit🦇💩

Please
or

YouHaveYourFathersBreasts · 12/04/2022 16:25

Assuming you’re not spelling ‘fuck off neighbour’ with your pants or something, then it’s perfectly acceptable to hang out your laundry on your washing line.

She won’t be taken seriously at all. By anyone.

Please
or

ForeverLooking · 12/04/2022 16:25

No, there's no law against hanging washing and the council won't have any interest in following up a complaint about it. She sounds like a pain in the arse. Ignore. She won't get anywhere with complaining about smells or whistling either Grin

Please
or

FOJN · 12/04/2022 16:27

If the line is in your garden and there are no covenants put in place by developers or conditions of occupancy imposed by whoever owns the property, if it's not you, then there is nothing she can do. I assume you are in the UK.

If she's complaining about other people it's likely she's going to be "that neighbour". Best ignored, smile sweetly and carry on.

Please
or

tearinghairout · 12/04/2022 16:28

No, she is bonkers. She sounds tortured. It will be interesting to hear what the council (or whoever she complains to) will have to say. Try not to worry, bc I'm sure they won't take her seriously.

Please
or

SamphirethePogoingStickerist · 12/04/2022 16:28

The council will laugh. Her email will be the subject of much humour, for weeks.

Laugh at her. Ask her to send you whatever the council responds with. But mostly just laugh a big cheery "righto!" laugh.

Please
or

Menora · 12/04/2022 16:28

My neighbours have never once hung out a single piece of washing on their line which is erected with loads of very frail looking sun bleached grubby clothes pegs for 3 years now. (They have 2 DC, how do they have nothing to hang out and why do they have a rotary washing line 🤣)

They also have a wet, mouldy sofa out back and a nice pile of tyres. Luckily I can only see it from upstairs.

They are batshit. I wouldn’t say anything though. Your neighbour is also batshit. Sometimes they just are 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

CurbsideProphet · 12/04/2022 16:28

I would like to be a fly on the wall at your local council if she genuinely emails them to complain about someone hanging out washing in their own back garden. I imagine it would make a change from the boring complaints about street lights and bin collections.

Please
or

DisforDarkChocolate · 12/04/2022 16:28

How on earth are you resisting spelling rude words with your washing now?

Please
or

NotTheOW · 12/04/2022 16:29

She should probably move to the middle of nowhere but then there would be birds. Nowhere on earth can meet her requirements.

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 12/04/2022 16:29

Well, that has given me the best laugh of the day (but I am sorry you have to live with that level of bat shittery)

Please
or

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 12/04/2022 16:30

I used to live on an estate where the houses only had gardens to the front, not the back, and there were covenants prohibiting washing lines. The council had nothing to do with it, however. She is mad and best ignored.

Please
or

SliceOfCakeCupOfTea · 12/04/2022 16:31

Just let her send her complain in. If there are any rules that you're breaking you'll find out but I can't imagine there would be.

Personally I'd start tweeting and chirping whenever I saw her windows open

Please
or

Danikm151 · 12/04/2022 16:32

if she owns your garden then yes. If it's because it ruins her view tell her to look in a different direction.

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 12/04/2022 16:33

She is, as another poster has pointed out, batshit.

Please
or

justfiveminutes · 12/04/2022 16:34

I once lived in a house where a neighbour, despite having a back garden, hung their washing on a rotary drier in the front garden. It did look awful and irritated me but I never said anything.

Please
or

Flaunch · 12/04/2022 16:35

I’d be buying bondage gear and crotchless knickers to hang out tbh.

Please
or

longwayoff · 12/04/2022 16:35

If she's growling, get her a muzzle, just in case she goes for you when you're not looking. Other than that, she obviously has issues that neither you nor the local authority are likely to resolve. Ignore her.

Please
or

ForeverLooking · 12/04/2022 16:35

My neighbour had this at the front of his house attached to an unused car. That was nice to look out on for everyone, especially those with children. You could try that on the washing line?

Please
or

thefirstmrsrochester · 12/04/2022 16:38

As has already been said upthread, she is ‘that neighbour’. Ah well, at least her complaints are giving the council folk a good laugh.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 12/04/2022 16:38

You should add this one to the Cheeky f**ker thread. It's absolute gold 🤣🤣

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 12/04/2022 16:39

You need to do this on the next sunny day

Please
or

Afrodizzyak · 12/04/2022 16:39

We all own our properties, so no restrictions.
Even heard her on the phone talking in a loud voice "more bloody washing flapping in my face".
(30 feet away)

OP posts:
Please
or

familyissues12345 · 12/04/2022 16:41

Maybe she goes and buys herself her own deserted island?! How weird!!

Please buy bondage gear...

Please
or

Cherrysoup · 12/04/2022 16:42

Ignore her. If she threatens to complain to the council, laugh in her face and tell her to crack on.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?