Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours walking on our drive and lawn

Lochnessgiraffe · 28/03/2022 13:08

Our neighbours keep walking over our lawn and drive. Our neighbours to the left have stopped doing this once we spoke to them but currently our neighbours to the right keep doing this. We've been having problems with them as they are having building work done and have had to stop their builders parking on our drive.
We don't have a car so they've previously asked to park on our drive but we've said no. They are now constantly walking over our lawn. Our living room over looks the lawn so we see it constantly it's driving us nuts.
We've asked them to stop. What can we do about this? We're actually trying to move due to the neighbours.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Alexandra2001 · 28/03/2022 16:07

Folk like this would just smash up your sprinkler/fence or plants.

Your better off moving and forgetting about them.

Please
or

taylorsdoingapart · 28/03/2022 16:09

Wished mine just walked in it. They keep running my flowers over. Wouldn't mind but they're not taxed or insured. And they are police staff.

Please
or

ComDummings · 28/03/2022 16:10

One of those cat scaring noisy things that lets out a high pitched squeal. Our neighbour has one and it’s annoying as fuck when you walk past their driveway.

Please
or

Lochnessgiraffe · 28/03/2022 16:11

Currently googling small fences. But love the reseed idea.
Looking to move asap

OP's posts:
Please
or

IdiotIntrusion · 28/03/2022 16:17

Could you dig a trench around your garden and fill it with sharks and piranhas? Should stop them but maybe the odd landmine too just in case they get out...

Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 28/03/2022 16:18

Pyracantha is definitely your friend. It's perfect for putting under a front window to deter anyone from getting close

Please
or

Bunnyfuller · 28/03/2022 16:19

1. Herd of cows (with very runny bottoms)
  2. Land mines
  3. A circus
  4. Motion sensors that go ‘AAAARRRUUUUGGGGAAAA ARRRRUUUGGGAAAAA’
  5. Build a WW2 type sentry box and design a rota for you and family to stag on. With weapons if you can access them - ‘Stop or I fire’.
  6. Loads of naked people lying on the grass
  7. You and DH out on deckchairs and force them to speak
    8.Dig a massive, deep hole and camouflage it with camo netting
  8. Put planning permission in for a rapunzel like tower
  9. Chuck all your food waste on the path and the grass.
Please
or

Mosaic123 · 28/03/2022 16:19

A few "Keep Off The Grass" signs dotted about?

Please
or

LakieLady · 28/03/2022 16:26

@spacehardware

YANBU

I used to rent a house in which our drive was bang against next doors and due to the open plan style of front gardens no boundary / fence was permitted or possible. I fucking hated it, and refused to countenance buying a house with front gardens like that.

I'd never buy a house with an "open-plan" garden, either. I'd hate it if people started walking past my front window and using my garden as a short cut.
Please
or

Xenia · 28/03/2022 16:27

Electric fence? Poisons... I'm only joking but it is a bit of a cheek that they do this and is trespass.

Please
or

EvilPea · 28/03/2022 16:28

Trough pots put together or festoon solar lights strung across road pins

Please
or

Gwenhwyfar · 28/03/2022 16:31

@sillysmiles

I'm clearly on my own here, but I'm not sure this would bother me.

I'm not a home owner so I don't get the problem with walking on the drive. Will it cause a tiny amount of wear and tear?
I can get the problem with the lawn if they're walking on grass they're trying to grow or on flowers.
Please
or

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 28/03/2022 16:32

Nothing a few bear traps won't solve.

Please
or

OurChristmasMiracle · 28/03/2022 16:33

As op has already told them not to walk across the lawn I would just get the sprinklers- they know that they aren’t welcome there already.

Failing that I would be so tempted if it was darker nights early to set it up so that a scream figure popped up when they crossed the lawn and told them to get off!

Please
or

GirlsTalk250 · 28/03/2022 16:34

Or a row of those big gnomes about knee height. Maybe in battle formation.
I just love this image Grin

Please
or

Jacopo · 28/03/2022 16:35

Just do the same back to them. Go into their garden or pathway and start dancing a highland fling or similar activity.

Please
or

Laiste · 28/03/2022 16:37

I really envy people who wouldn't be bothered by this.

I mean i would be SO bothered.

Please
or

Ozanj · 28/03/2022 16:41

Keep your lawn wet so they trek mud into the neighbours’ houses. This should stop them being invited

Please
or

WisherWood · 28/03/2022 16:42

I'd stick up an electric fence. I'd be nice and put up one of the ones for horses or sheep, not the very thin wire they use for cattle. And I'd put signs up warning them what it is. But I would still be putting an electric fence up, with the battery connected so that you can get at it from the house but not from the boundary.

Please
or

Xiaoxiong · 28/03/2022 16:43

Bunny I always thought those horns went "awooooga awoooga". Now I'm repeating aaarrrrruuuugggggaaa to myself over and over to see if it was in fact that all along

I have a rhotic accent though so the rrrr sound in there makes it sound like some kind of pirate siren.

Please
or

SpiderVersed · 28/03/2022 16:45

If you aren't using your drive for a car, why not have a line of decorative planters down it? That would stop them walking across, plus you get more plants to look at.

Please
or

springtimeishereagain · 28/03/2022 16:46

If you put up a small fence, op, I can see the CFs just jumping over it!

Why are some people so flaming rude?? Have you asked them not to? Or are they not the kind of people who would listen?

Please
or

CrotchetyQuaver · 28/03/2022 16:49

YANBU
I'd just say/shout/yell something every single time along the lines of your drive/front garden is not a shortcut and use the bloody pavement. Lazy inconsiderate gits.

Have you got a dog, could you booby trap it with turds?

Please
or

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 28/03/2022 16:49

A poster of Putin looking sternly their way?

Please
or

viques · 28/03/2022 16:50

@TonytheDog

Turn the grass into a big mud bath, so crossing your garden would mean getting covered in mud. Or put a rosary washing line on it. Tether a horse? Or, put up a fence.

I like the thought of a rosary washing line. I would go further and buy in a couple of really scarey nuns, the sort who would know if you had had impure thoughts just by looking at you. I am thinking full dress nuns, wimples, hairy moles …the lot.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.