Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours walking on our drive and lawn

Lochnessgiraffe · 28/03/2022 13:08

Our neighbours keep walking over our lawn and drive. Our neighbours to the left have stopped doing this once we spoke to them but currently our neighbours to the right keep doing this. We've been having problems with them as they are having building work done and have had to stop their builders parking on our drive.
We don't have a car so they've previously asked to park on our drive but we've said no. They are now constantly walking over our lawn. Our living room over looks the lawn so we see it constantly it's driving us nuts.
We've asked them to stop. What can we do about this? We're actually trying to move due to the neighbours.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Laiste · 28/03/2022 15:31

It would be a problem to me.

It's one of those things which would wind me up exponentially until i exploded out of the door one day and raved at them.

Please
or

sleepymum50 · 28/03/2022 15:32

Could glitter be your friend?

Seriously, I’ve heard that glitter just spreads everywhere and never goes away.

If they find they are treading glitter into their own houses, maybe they’ll think twice.

Try simple signs that say private property/ keep off the grass.

I second water logging the lawn, or digging up strategic areas as if you are planning a flower bed.

Motion detectors that turn on a light/ make a noise (but may be too annoying for you)
When I want to keep birds/ cats off an area, I cover it in pea sticks/ twigs, and wrap and criss/cross the area with twine.

Please
or

EveningOverRooftops · 28/03/2022 15:35

B&Q. Temporary fence spikes they’re about a 2cm thick and just get pushed into the dirt and a roll of mesh fence. It’s not pretty but it’s effective.

Put it all the way around your lawn and sprinkle some sand over it and tell them it’s being re seeded as it’s getting patchy.

Please
or

TheNameOfTheRoses · 28/03/2022 15:36

Yep fence is the way to go.
Doesnt have to be tall, just really annoying Grin

That's the only way we managed to stop people walking on our lawn/right passed front front window.

Please
or

LookItsMeAgain · 28/03/2022 15:39

A few of these, located at the boundary between you and annoying neighbour. Run padlocked chains between them at shoulder height, waist height and at the bottom (so 3 separate levels of chains linking these planters) and separate them so that the neighbours can't walk between them and can't climb over/between the chains.
www.diy.com/departments/bopha-pressure-treated-wood-brown-wooden-rectangular-trough-31cm/1906371_BQ.prd

Please
or

Laiste · 28/03/2022 15:40

Loads of plastic dog poos ... ?

Please
or

LookItsMeAgain · 28/03/2022 15:40

Shoot....I meant to add (before I clicked post message) that if you did get these planters and subsequently wanted to move, you could take them with you!

Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 28/03/2022 15:40

@XYChromo

Ok - why can’t you put a fence up?

I live somewhere where the covenant forbids gates or fences between the tiny front gardens and people take that as carte blanche to walk in a line across the front of the house (and peer in through the windows and doors).
Please
or

SoupDragon · 28/03/2022 15:41

Surely they would just step over that?
Or worse, jump it.

You need to rig it up so that it automatically rises to 6ft height when they are in mid jump/step

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 28/03/2022 15:43

I don't see why you can't put up a small fence. Doesn't need to be much. Could be like these?

They wouldn't work - they'll just step over them. Those sort are only good for showing respectful people where a boundary is - people who will already routinely walk across what they know is somebody else's lawn are just going to ignore them. In fact, I wouldn't put it past tone-deaf people like that to complain because they make it difficult for them to cut through!

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 28/03/2022 15:44

Somebody really needs to invent a non-lethal landmine for situations like this - something that doesn't harm the trespasser in the least, but does leave them looking like a raging cold-custard yeti!

Please
or

LowlandLucky · 28/03/2022 15:45

Electric fence, large snarling junk yard dog or a quick "get the fuck off my lawn"

Please
or

DiamondCushion · 28/03/2022 15:47

Another vote for a small fence, to make it obvious they shouldn’t be there. Or sprinkler!

Please
or

godmum56 · 28/03/2022 15:48

I like the temporary fence and reseed idea.

Please
or

WhiteXmas21 · 28/03/2022 15:48

Sprinkle Defenders cat repellant liberally on the area they are walking on. It stinks like garlic and it will stick to their shoes. Like smelly glitter.

It may be temporary, but it’s really rude and entitled of them, designed to annoy you as you told them they could not make free with your driveway.

Please
or

Blahblahblah40 · 28/03/2022 15:52

Loved on a new build estate years ago and we weren’t allowed to fence off the front gardens, it was in the title deeds. Used to drive me crackers when people walked all over it, or worse DROVE onto your grass reversing out their drive. Kids would cycle on it and run up your drive to ‘play’ as well. Never again thank you very much. All I can suggest is that you do the neighbourly thing and just keep asking them to stop and say you feel they are invading your privacy walking so close to the window. That or in nice weather set up a deckchair and portable speaker on their front grass and take your kids with you if you have any.

Please
or

Blahblahblah40 · 28/03/2022 15:52

*lived

Please
or

MrsWinters · 28/03/2022 15:52

Id drop a note through saying you are putting down some chemicals and could they stay off. Then just get a lawn feed spreader and walk up and down a few times when you know they are watching.

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 28/03/2022 15:53

I think a small fence (push in picket type) or lights like previous poster linked would deter them. It makes it clear it’s private. A ring doorbell would light up knowing they were being recorded might stop them.

Please
or

FlipFlopBattle · 28/03/2022 15:54

Realised we've all been thinking how to keep them away; how about some reverse psychology, and suddenly be all over them like they're your new BFFs?

Every time they cross your grass, fling open your lounge windows in delight and beg them to join your next kids' birthday party/4 hour Sunday service/swingers' night - whichever is likely to freak them out most, and have them crossing the road to skirt around your house.

Of course if you misjudge it and they turn up one night with a bottle of wine and some spare car keys, you have an entirely new problem on your hands...

Please
or

Notwithittoday · 28/03/2022 15:55

This is similar to our neighbours set up. I’ve been tempted to cross it when I’ve been desperate for the loo but I never have because it’s bloody cheeky.

Please
or

FairyCakeWings · 28/03/2022 15:59

There’s no point in a fence. People that are cheeky enough to continue walking over your garden when you’ve politely asked them not to are cheeky enough to step over a fence. They don’t need the boundary marked, they know it already and are choosing to cross it anyway.

My vote is for the motion activated sprinkler.

Please
or

CanIHaveASnaaaaak · 28/03/2022 16:01

Sprinkler, not to get them wet but to make it squelchy underfoot. Hopefully they are wearing flip flops in this nice weather and it totally ruins their day.

“Oh, I was watering the grass as I don’t want it to die in this heat but left the sprinkler in too long….”

Please
or

grapewines · 28/03/2022 16:02

@Lochnessgiraffe

If we get motion sensored sprinkler they would get wet everytime they cross our lawn!

They'd stop walking on your lawn though.
Please
or

MarmiteCoriander · 28/03/2022 16:06

I get long trough planters to border your garden and grow cactus in them Grin

Neighbours walking on our drive and lawn
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.