Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours walking on our drive and lawn

Lochnessgiraffe · 28/03/2022 13:08

Our neighbours keep walking over our lawn and drive. Our neighbours to the left have stopped doing this once we spoke to them but currently our neighbours to the right keep doing this. We've been having problems with them as they are having building work done and have had to stop their builders parking on our drive.
We don't have a car so they've previously asked to park on our drive but we've said no. They are now constantly walking over our lawn. Our living room over looks the lawn so we see it constantly it's driving us nuts.
We've asked them to stop. What can we do about this? We're actually trying to move due to the neighbours.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Xpologog · 28/03/2022 15:05

@Lochnessgiraffe

If we get motion sensored sprinkler they would get wet everytime they cross our lawn!

Yes, that’s what you want. They’ll soon give up. Lazy buggers.
Please
or

SausagePourHomme · 28/03/2022 15:05

@Lochnessgiraffe

Unfortunately no fence is possible due to the way the lawns and drives are set up.
Sprinkler could be fun!

You are gonna need to explain because your diagram makes it look easily possible
Please
or

Hiddenvoice · 28/03/2022 15:07

I’d put up a little fence or little hanging lights-
The ones a pp suggested.
I’d do it along the grass and up to your drive.
They can be placed on your grass without it touching your neighbours drive.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 28/03/2022 15:11

what about a trip wire

Please
or

Polyanthus2 · 28/03/2022 15:13

Stick the hose on the lawn ( lying flat - not visible) , let it run for a few hours, so next time they cross they get wet feet/ shoes.

Please
or

BattenbergdowntheHatches · 28/03/2022 15:14

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

Please
or

applesandpears33 · 28/03/2022 15:14

Pyracantha plants. Spikey and fairly fast growing. And a motion activated sprinkler.

Please
or

sillysmiles · 28/03/2022 15:14

I'm clearly on my own here, but I'm not sure this would bother me.

Please
or

spacehardware · 28/03/2022 15:14

YANBU

I used to rent a house in which our drive was bang against next doors and due to the open plan style of front gardens no boundary / fence was permitted or possible. I fucking hated it, and refused to countenance buying a house with front gardens like that.

Please
or

Laiste · 28/03/2022 15:15

@Polyanthus2

Stick the hose on the lawn ( lying flat - not visible) , let it run for a few hours, so next time they cross they get wet feet/ shoes.

I read that as horse.

lol
Please
or

Lochroy · 28/03/2022 15:18

@applesandpears33

Pyracantha plants. Spikey and fairly fast growing. And a motion activated sprinkler.

These. And a fence. Not sure why you can't?
Please
or

CallmeHendricks · 28/03/2022 15:18

@SliceOfCakeCupOfTea

I don't see why you can't put up a small fence. Doesn't need to be much. Could be like these?

Surely they would just step over that?
Or worse, jump it.
Please
or

Lysianthus · 28/03/2022 15:18

Hot tub?

Please
or

floofycroissant · 28/03/2022 15:19

Plant a hedge or put a fence alngdise the inside of your drive and lawn. Then they have no benefit to trespass across.

Seriously though have you just asked them not too? Or if you'd prefer not too then try putting a sign right where they tend to enter

Please
or

shssandhr · 28/03/2022 15:19

Fast growing shrubs of some description along the boundary.

Please
or

Laiste · 28/03/2022 15:20

@spacehardware

YANBU

I used to rent a house in which our drive was bang against next doors and due to the open plan style of front gardens no boundary / fence was permitted or possible. I fucking hated it, and refused to countenance buying a house with front gardens like that.

Yep same.

It's all lovely in theory - one big open area ect. but there's always one set of buggers who spoil it and get everyone twitchy about boundaries. A few (understandably) have to start erecting barricades and others feel they should follow suit and the whole wonderful concept goes to pot.
Please
or

PuzzledObserver · 28/03/2022 15:21

I live on a new build estate and quite a few of the houses are like this, in many cases just a narrow strip of chipping between the drives. I’ve just leafleted the entire estate.

My rule of thumb is that on the houses where the only thing you pass is the garage and front door (that I want to put a leaflet through), I’ll cut across. If there’s a window, I’ll go back to the footpath/road.

Please
or

TonytheDog · 28/03/2022 15:23

Cover it in assorted twigs and branches. They're impossible to walk on. Stick some vertically in random places. Or, get that netting to cover soil that's just been grass seeded, it's impossible to walk on that. Then in the middle of it stick a sign saying 'how'd you like them apples'.

I might have given too much thought to this.

Please
or

FlipFlopBattle · 28/03/2022 15:24

Mention to all the surrounding neighbours that you've noticed a couple of disreputable-looking characters scoping out your house recently, so could everyone keep an eye out for potential burglars.

Then install a motion-activated alarm that shouts "WARNING! INTRUDER ALERT!" the moment anyone sets foot on your grass.

Or to make it more fun, have the alarm shout "CAUTION! WIDE VEHICLES REVERSING!" and stick religiously to the story that they must be hallucinating, as you can't hear anything.

Please
or

EIisheva · 28/03/2022 15:25

No reason at all why you can’t fence that off

Please
or

stuntbubbles · 28/03/2022 15:26

Weed killer on the grass all the way round the edge, applied with a stencil so it reads FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF like a nice decorative border/grass art/very precise crop circle

Please
or

RedHelenB · 28/03/2022 15:28

Yabu, its only temporary and not a big problem (not even a little one to most people)

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 28/03/2022 15:29

lawn treatment that would stain their car/carpets if it get trodden in.
I wouldn’t get embroiled further if selling as you need to declare disputes.

Please
or

RantyAunty · 28/03/2022 15:31

A diagram! I'm stoked.

My vote is for motion sensor sprinkler.

There should be something like a spreadable spider web you can place across where they walk so when they step into it, it rolls them up in the web.

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 28/03/2022 15:31

Seen diagram you could easily put a little low picket type fence up.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.