Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Diocese banning visit from gay author and sacking governors that approved it

gymgymgo · 09/03/2022 12:43

The Archdiocese of Southwark over-ruled one of its own headteachers and is sacking some governors because they approved the visit of a children's author who writes books about fictional gay characters. They've said the visit is "outside the scope of what is permissible in a Catholic school". The school's chaplain has said "the event is about promoting the literature of a lifestyle choice that is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ." Some of the teachers are now threatening strike action. Aibu to think this story will blow up in the diocese's face?

inews.co.uk/news/catholic-state-school-john-fisher-southwark-diocese-governors-cancel-visit-gay-author-simon-james-green-1505735

OP's posts:
Please
or

georama · 09/03/2022 17:37

It's disgusting but coming from the RC church sadly not surprising. I feel for the pupils having to go to a school like that.

Please
or

DetailMouse · 09/03/2022 17:38

I'd imagine that's exactly what most parents sending DC to Catholic school would expect

Please
or

user1471504747 · 09/03/2022 17:39

YANBU OP I can’t believe in this day and age homophobia is so rampant

Please
or

MissConductUS · 09/03/2022 17:40

The medieval misogynists strike again.

The catholic priesthood is loaded with gay men, some active, some not.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 09/03/2022 17:41

This is why I hate religious schools
Having said that I imagine a lot of Catholic parents would support this unfortunately

Please
or

StripeyDeckchair · 09/03/2022 17:43

This is one of the reasons why I strongly believe that there should be no state run religious schools.
If you want your offspring indoctrinated in a religion either pay for a private school or they do it out of school hours.

Please
or

OpheliaThrupps · 09/03/2022 17:44

It's their religion. Homosexuality is a sin.

Please
or

Lovelteers · 09/03/2022 17:45

Bunch of bigots, it’s not like the kids can ‘ catch’ being gay. I would imagine a lot of the parents ARE NOT happy with this actually, many send their kids to Catholic school because they’re often better than the local comps ( and they have that extra church money for facilities and equipment) not because they rabidly believe every piece of bullshit the Vatican comes out with.
It’s disgraceful. I feel for the gay kids in that school, just another reminder that many people
Think they’re ‘wrong’ in some way just for existing.

Please
or

Lovelteers · 09/03/2022 17:47

@OpheliaThrupps ‘ It's their religion. Homosexuality is a sin.’

Didn’t take long for the crazy homophobes to pop up, did it ?

That’s the problem - this kind of action allows others to feel free to start spewing their hatred too.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 09/03/2022 17:47

I do hope that it will backfire. We moved to avoid an area with just CoE/RC schools as I don't believe that state schools should be run by a religious community.

I just wonder, shouldn't schools promote British Values? In that case being gay is legal so the question is, can religion overrule the whole idea of Values?

Please
or

MissConductUS · 09/03/2022 17:49

@Lovelteers

Bunch of bigots, it’s not like the kids can ‘ catch’ being gay. I would imagine a lot of the parents ARE NOT happy with this actually, many send their kids to Catholic school because they’re often better than the local comps ( and they have that extra church money for facilities and equipment) not because they rabidly believe every piece of bullshit the Vatican comes out with.
It’s disgraceful. I feel for the gay kids in that school, just another reminder that many people
Think they’re ‘wrong’ in some way just for existing.

This exactly. I know several families who attend the local Catholic church because it gets them lower tuition at the school. As soon as the kids finish school the family is never seen again.
Please
or

Lovelteers · 09/03/2022 17:52

At least the publicity has highlighted the fact that homophobia is very much alive in the U.K. and there’s still a lot to be done to combat this absolutely pointless, needless and unwanted bigotry.

Please
or

OpheliaThrupps · 09/03/2022 17:55

@Lovelteers

*@OpheliaThrupps* ‘ It's their religion. Homosexuality is a sin.’

Didn’t take long for the crazy homophobes to pop up, did it ?

That’s the problem - this kind of action allows others to feel free to start spewing their hatred too.

I don't think anything is a sin, I'm an atheist, but it's a sin within Catholic theology.
Please
or

Bellalastrasse · 09/03/2022 18:01

The problem is there is a disconnect between the RC messages on sex/sexuality and the messages wider society send out. Education, through schools, is supposed to address this. Even if it is shaped by RC values, the Church does recognise homosexuality, so should find a way to deliver helpful and positive resources to young people. Literature is a useful tool and would be a good way to do this.

Please
or

Bellalastrasse · 09/03/2022 18:02

Sorry, didn’t finish

This isn’t good for young Catholics who are going to be stigmatised by anti Catholic hate around this when they end up having to research things for themselves.

Please
or

Everydaydayisaschoolday · 09/03/2022 18:03

Being a Catholic doesn't mean you are a homophobe. Catholics are as likely to be gay/trans as anyone else and parents are as likely to have LGBTQ children who deserve acceptance.

I'm a Catholic who lives on the same road as this school and I know several boys who went there. It's a good school but can have a very macho atmosphere It's great that they tried to arrange this talk to encourage inclusivity. I'm sorry that the schools good name is being marred by this bad publicity when it is in no way the schools fault.

I'm very pissed off that the diocese has displayed bigotry and banned this talk. They've also removed hard working governors who supported it. I've already emailed the diocese and no doubt our PP will be getting an earful from me and many of my friends next week.

Please
or

Ionlydomassiveones · 09/03/2022 18:05

I’m a Christian and homophobia goes against everything Jesus taught us. So sad that this outrageous discrimination is still happening under the banner of a faith which I see as a faith of love and belonging.

Please
or

Bellalastrasse · 09/03/2022 18:10

Yes, to @Ionlydomassiveones @Everydaydayisaschoolday

Please
or

SignUpNow · 09/03/2022 18:11

I work in a Catholic school. I’m surprised at this move. Our school teaches all the statutory PHSCE stuff around sexuality and identity etc. The lessons include a bit about what the teachings of the Catholic Church are (so for example, in a lesson about different sexualities and types of relationship there is a part that says the church believes that marriage is the model relationship), but it’s very light touch and teachers are instructed to deliver the materials in a non judgemental and impartial way.

Please
or

CounsellorTroi · 09/03/2022 18:13

The school's chaplain has said "the event is about promoting the literature of a lifestyle choice that is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ."

Jesus never said anything about it.

Please
or

MissConductUS · 09/03/2022 18:13

@Ionlydomassiveones

I’m a Christian and homophobia goes against everything Jesus taught us. So sad that this outrageous discrimination is still happening under the banner of a faith which I see as a faith of love and belonging.

I'm also a Christian. I grew up Catholic and left the church in my 20's just too fed up with it all. I now attend a church that ordains openly gay clergy and women.
Please
or

HomeHomeInTheRange · 09/03/2022 18:30

@OpheliaThrupps

I doubt the purpose of the visit is to instruct children in how to conduct homosexual sex acts.
Please
or

Blackbootswithredribbons · 09/03/2022 18:39

It deeply disturbs me that homophobia is present in this day and age, especially in England. I also highly doubt Jesus gave a flying fuck about who loved who.

Please
or

georama · 09/03/2022 18:44

@OpheliaThrupps

Lots of things are a sin according to the Catholic Church. Do you think they would refuse to host an author who was divorced? Or who had had an abortion? Or is of a different or no religion?
Please
or

MissConductUS · 09/03/2022 18:46

also highly doubt Jesus gave a flying fuck about who loved who.

I know. It's amazing how many Christians can skip right over "Love one another as I have loved you" and "as you do to the least of my brothers so you do to me".

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.