Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Waitrose

350 replies

StoneofDestiny · 01/03/2022 16:23

Just tried the 'new offers' on Waitrose. You have download the offers at home but then scan to scan a QR code at the til point and click into a coupon for every offer. Surely they could put the offers directly into your Waitrose Card like M&S Sparks Card does?
Given John Lewis is on a downward track - surely making shopping difficult at Waitrose won't help keep customers. Anybody else found this as unnecessarily complicated?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fernandina · 01/03/2022 16:29

Considering that a large proportion of their customer base is at the senior end of the market, you'd think they would do it that way, wouldn't you? A lot of their customers may not be all that au fait with modern technology, and won't be able to access the offers.

Please
or

Gowithme · 01/03/2022 16:31

What sort of offers are they? I haven't got any yet, hoping it'll kick in tomorrow. But if it's 5p off a pack off chicken thighs and then a hassle to scan the coupon I won't bother.

Please
or

LadyLazarus40 · 01/03/2022 16:32

I thought it was massively faffy! And you’re only allowed to use 2 offers a week which you have to chose in advance! They’re really doing everything they can to stop people using these!!

Please
or

StrawberrySquash · 01/03/2022 16:32

I have got 50p off a couple of things. Was a bit faffy. Not really optimised for a phone screen, lot of scrolling up and down. On the upside my chocolate was cheaper and they were for things I'd buy.

Please
or

JustDanceAddict · 01/03/2022 16:33

What are they?
I still miss the coffee and will miss the weekend papers!

Please
or

LadyLazarus40 · 01/03/2022 16:33

@Gowithme

What sort of offers are they? I haven't got any yet, hoping it'll kick in tomorrow. But if it's 5p off a pack off chicken thighs and then a hassle to scan the coupon I won't bother.

Mine were 50p off - one was a pot of yogurt can’t remember the other. So £1 off the shopping.
Please
or

StoneofDestiny · 01/03/2022 16:39

Mine was £2 off wine and £1 off coffee - but for £3 it was a faff and I'll shop elsewhere if it doesn't get sorted out. Many seniors won't have I-phones or QR code apps. I can imagine a huge queue on weekends. Part of the attraction going there is short queues and quick in and out shopping! This will slow it all down.
The offers are for you to choose on their web site/app. Personalised to your favourite products I suspect.

OP posts:
Please
or

ISmellBurnings · 01/03/2022 16:41

My local Waitrose closed down, so I get annoyed when they post me the offers as I can’t bloody shop there (only went there for the free coffee anyway…).

Please
or

StoneofDestiny · 01/03/2022 16:42

I should say, I complained at the till about the faffing about and she agreed and said unless enough complained to customer services, nothing would change!

Who designed the thing - someone who have never shopped in a supermarket?

OP posts:
Please
or

StoneofDestiny · 01/03/2022 16:43

Big mistake to get rid of free newspapers and coffee.

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsPnut · 01/03/2022 16:45

I'm going to complain, I didn't realise they weren't applied to your online shop automatically.

I chose two items I buy every week and didn't think anything of it. Except because I didn't apply them to my order, I didn't get any money off.

Please
or

Whattodoniw · 01/03/2022 16:46

Agree. It's a faff and hardly worth it. Having a myWaitrose card is pointless as when it's scanned you get bugger all off your shopping anyway.

Waste of time in my opinion.

Please
or

smogsville · 01/03/2022 16:50

mine aren't working on phone - they don't appear in the voucher section. Only on laptop. I emailed [email protected] and someone has now responded asking for screenshots.

Other issue I have is that they also emailed saying they are going to let me have the free paper as they've spotted that I get it very regularly and to look for it in the newspaper section of the voucher hub or whatever it's called in the app for a voucher I can use every day, but it's not there. Rage. Going to send screenshots over and see where we get to. It's a bit shit to make such a fuss about this amazing new scheme and then have it not work.

Please
or

Precipice · 01/03/2022 17:33

I'm not even a senior, but I don't have a QR code app and usually don't have my phone when doing the shopping. Printing the vouchers out is a faff. A pound off the shopping! :/

Please
or

ThinWomansBrain · 01/03/2022 17:44

sounds like too much faff
I did mark the final weekend of free newspapers by spending £6.51 plus the Guardian - may be my personal best (excluding when you could add a 'free' coffee in to the mixGrin)

Please
or

EmpressCixi · 01/03/2022 17:47

I just order online and have Waitrose deliver. All the coupons/savings are automatically applied. Zero faffing.

Please
or

JunkIsland · 01/03/2022 17:51

This sounds like a worse version of:

The paper vouchers they send out anyway from time to time.

That Waitrose old app where you could click on offers and add them to your card.

They were promising something good after the end of the free paper. Surely it cannot be this?!

Please
or

DottyHarmer · 01/03/2022 17:56

I couldn’t get the vouchers to load at the till. In spite of having the card and having spent gazillions in Waitrose over the years, I was denied 50p off a pack of chicken fillets. The staff member was most sniffy as well. Not impressed.

Please
or

Tallisimo · 01/03/2022 18:02

I read the email telling me about and I thought it was a very complicated, poorly thought-out process.I can’t be doing with all that faff!

Please
or

feellikeanalien · 01/03/2022 18:10

@Tallisimo

I read the email telling me about and I thought it was a very complicated, poorly thought-out process.I can’t be doing with all that faff!

Exactly what I thought. I'm pissed off about the paper though because it was handy for lighting the fire. I'm just going to have to get loads of their free weekend papers now!!
Please
or

ThePenIsBlue · 01/03/2022 18:14

Losing the free paper was an absolutely Moronic thing to do. Everyone I know would go in there on a weekend when they might need bread/milk and top up their shop with other bits to £10 so they could get a free paper. Others would drive to Waitrose instead of Tesco to buy their shopping because of the free paper. Weekdays it would give you £1.50-£2 off your shopping but it made you feel like you were getting something for free. Really stupid to can it.

Please
or

NameGoesHere · 01/03/2022 18:18

I’m not getting any vouchers on the app!

Please
or

Gowithme · 01/03/2022 18:33

@feellikeanalien that's what I used the free paper for too! Didn't occur to me to pick their free one, good call!
Yeah really miss the free paper and coffee, two coupons a week is really stingy too :-( especially if they're a hassle.

Please
or

MsFogi · 01/03/2022 18:35

For a few pence off I just can't be bothered. We used to go to Waitrose for a couple of additional shops a week because of the newspaper offer - we're not bothering anymore.

Please
or

Fairisleflora · 01/03/2022 18:49

I used to go there rather than other shops due to the free paper. I know the food was more expensive but it was better quality. I won’t bother now. I can’t justify it to myself (in my illogical brain). They are going to lose loads of customer like me due to ending the free paper. Who thought this idea up?

Faffy offers don’t appeal whatsoever!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?