Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think it’s daft to make big life decisions based on WFH without checking it’s permanent?

GoldenOmber · 27/01/2022 17:13

My work used to be office-based. We’ve all been WFH since March 2020 because of government rules (not in England).

This week the government lifted that rule, and later that day our employers told us what the plans were to start bringing us back. This is pretty flexible - not starting for a month or two yet, will still allow a lot of WFH for people who want it (like 9 days a fortnight with one in the office). Most people are ok with this. Some people really aren’t.

Now we are having drama over email with a small but vocal group saying how angry/upset they are, because they have made big changes based around getting to WFH and it will now be difficult for them to go back at all. Even 1 day a fortnight starting in April. Changes like moving house far away from office; getting a dog and not wanting to leave the dog alone; selling car and not wanting to get public transport b/c germs (not just covid, all germs).

Work have ALWAYS said WFH was temporary though! I have some sympathy for how long it’s going to take you to commute from your new house in the middle of nowhere, but SURELY you’d factor that in when you bought it?

YABU - no, after 2 years of WFH working fairly well it was reasonable to expect it to continue without checking.

YANBU - yes, they should obviously have checked.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

forcedfun · 27/01/2022 17:17

Yanbu. Our work were always clear it was temporary too. I'm baffled by the people who are panicking

Please
or

Luckystar1 · 27/01/2022 17:19

YANBU. I know people whose work is in London who moved to Herefordshire and Gloucestershire during lockdown. Just upped and moved as though it was a permanent state of being. I’ve absolutely no clue how they propose getting to work.

I’ve heard a lot of chat about staying in hotels during the working week… that sounds not ideal.

Please
or

catfunk · 27/01/2022 17:19

Yes I'm dealing with this at work and it's the bane of my life at the moment. We're not going back to full time yet people are acting like it's extraordinarily unreasonable to want them in 2/3 days week.

Please
or

StrongSunglasses · 27/01/2022 17:19

Yanbu!

Please
or

FindingMeno · 27/01/2022 17:21

I cannot believe people thought they could just assume! Their problems are their problem, not works, and they need to crack on with the job or resign.

Please
or

purpledagger · 27/01/2022 17:21

Agree.

I also wander what all the people who have moved to the arse end of nowhere are going to do in the event that they have to change jobs, as they may struggle to find an employer who will let them work fully remotely.

Please
or

gwenneh · 27/01/2022 17:22

YANBU. I'm an enormous supporter of WFH, but until and unless the employer makes it permanent it's ridiculous to make life decisions based on the ability to do so.

I get that it's problematic at times, particularly if an employer has hinted at the idea of making it permanent and then chooses not to. But without concrete discussions and amended contracts, the situation should be considered temporary.

A friend of mine is HR for a major US organisation and this has been an issue for them -- especially as there are places in the US where her organisation is not authorised to conduct business, and there are employees that moved there without telling anyone.

Please
or

Littlebutload · 27/01/2022 17:23

Your are so not being unreasonable. I don't know what they were thinking when they moved to the other side of the country, this was never going to be longterm. yes houses were cheaper and you got a 4 bed detached house in the middle of nowhere, go you, but how will you get to the office for 9am ever again!

Please
or

Howshouldibehave · 27/01/2022 17:24

I completely agree with you! I can’t believe people have moved and now can’t get the office!!

Please
or

Wherearemymarbles · 27/01/2022 17:25

I was quite bemused when i read of all these people moving to Wales etc as they were never going back to an office ever again.
I dont know a single person whose job is now permanently at home. Most are in the office 3 days a week.

Please
or

WayshrineNotFound · 27/01/2022 17:27

Yes. It's totally fine to decide you want to WFH from now on (we have; no more office for us!), but weird to just assume your old job is going to be fine with it.

Please
or

Invisimamma · 27/01/2022 17:28

I'm with you. I love new working from home arrangements and the flexibility it has provided but it was never permanent.

We are going back on a hybrid basis, minimum of 1 day per week in the office (used to full time). People are still moaning about it. I think it's a good compromise.

Why would you buy a house or pet and not consider the arrangements for work?

Please
or

GoldenOmber · 27/01/2022 17:28

I get that it's problematic at times, particularly if an employer has hinted at the idea of making it permanent and then chooses not to.

I don’t think that’s been the case with my work, although maybe that’s what some people thought they heard. (Employers have been a bit useless and waffly but not to that degree.)

I entirely get why people would think “nah, I like WFH” and look for jobs that did allow it, but I am baffled why some people just expected that our current one would.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunsetsupernova · 27/01/2022 17:31

My work has been very clear that we will only ever go back 2 days a week. I’m also very confident I could secure a full time wfh job if I needed to so yes we are moving out of London to somewhere I wouldn’t want to commute in 5 days a week.

However, making that decision without any promise of full time wfh is very stupid. 1 day a fortnight is easy anyway. I have someone in my team who lives in Manchester and comes down on a Monday morning, stays in a Travelodge Monday night and then goes back to Manchester Tuesday night every single week and they don’t find it a chore at all.

Please
or

FreedomFaith · 27/01/2022 17:31

We've got people from London who moved here, to the north of Scotland, based on wfh policies. Honestly, I'm laughing at their stupidity. If you didn't check with work that it was permanent AND get that put into your contract as otherwise you've got nothing, then it's completely your fault.

I feel sad for the animals that are going to get abandoned or mistreated in a way because of this. They didn't get a choice in this. The adults however have a brain for decision making. They should have used it and waited.

Please
or

Mountaingoat12 · 27/01/2022 17:33

We’ve got lots of this too. Horrified - horrified! - that they might be asked to meet their contractual obligations.

Please
or

wizzywig · 27/01/2022 17:43

They must have been caught up in the whole dramatic 'life will never be the same!'

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 27/01/2022 17:48

Yanbu

Please
or

JuergenSchwarzwald · 27/01/2022 17:48

I'm a fan of WFH but I can't say I thought it very sensible for people to move away from their office locations before they knew what the future held.

As for moaning about dogs - pay for doggy daycare like people did pre-covid.

And I agree one day a fortnight is easy - that's probably the pattern I will settle into.

Please
or

Boomboomackalackalackaboom · 27/01/2022 17:54

Reminds me of a post from a pregnant woman who had moved to where she wanted to bring up her baby but was now finding the commute too tiring-because she was pregnant. She refused to accept she was unreasonable for moving hours away from where she had worked for the last X amount of years before her maternity leave and insisted it was work that were actually unreasonable for not letting her WFH for the remainder of her pregnancy!

I just can’t fathom why people assume their wants must be met by their employers. Why don’t people think these things through? Baffling.

Please
or

Talia99 · 27/01/2022 17:57

My office has moved to permanently WFH but I didn’t start considering major changes like moving further away from the city where I work to a house big enough for a home office until the new contract came through.

Having said that, I once had a job where I travelled down Monday morning, stayed in a M-F rented room during the week and travelled back Friday afternoon. It wasn’t that bad (as a single person with no children).

Please
or

dorkfink · 27/01/2022 18:00

I can't imagine how someone would find 1 day a fortnight back in the office so difficult. Have they moved abroad?

Please
or

dorkfink · 27/01/2022 18:01

Everyone I know who has moved some distance has had a contract drawn up for 100% or 80% wfh.

Please
or

PleasantBirthday · 27/01/2022 18:01

I think you're right but wfh has been going on so long and consistently that I think people have been lulled into a sense of security. Two years is a long time for people to not have made changes that are now very inconvenient to reverse.

Please
or

dorkfink · 27/01/2022 18:03

I also don't know anyone going back to the 5 days a wk on site model.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.