Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad

HangingDitch · 08/12/2021 22:29

I find people saying they had “loads of veggies” or “massive salad” with their meal irrationally irritating. Not the fact they had vegetables or a salad, just the phrases.

I am being unreasonable, aren’t I?

OP's posts:
Please
or

icedcoffees · 09/12/2021 07:29

My pet hate is the word "toms" for tomatoes Angry

Please
or

SexyBoris · 09/12/2021 07:33

Huge salad
Massive salad
Heaps of veggies …. Irritates them fuck out of me.

But so does slimming world terminology:

Mounds of spaghetti
Lashings of gravy
Mountains of potato - shove it all down your throat, don’t chew it, let it all slide down in giant lumps - it’s greedy bastard talk

Please
or

melonhead · 09/12/2021 07:36

I would like to propose -

'Full blown meal'
'Melt in the mouth'
'Falls of the bone'
'A meal in itself'

I feel dirty and sad now.

Please
or

MarleneDietrichsSmile · 09/12/2021 07:41

I have a friend with an ED who always has “massive salads “ apparently. (They are mainly plain lettuce)

She also went for lunch with me once but could not eat a thing as she’d already had a “massive apple” for breakfast

So I see “massive salad” as ED talk

Love a good salad though

Please
or

GetOffTheTableMabel · 09/12/2021 07:45

[quote Pbbananabagel]@cantgetmyheadroundit
‘Picky bits’ I hate so much, gives me a mental image of carrions birds pecking out a load of eyeballs.[/quote]
I wish it made me think of something so pleasant.
I am stuck with the image of fingernails and scabs 🤢

Please
or

hyperborea · 09/12/2021 07:54

Thankfully my kids appear to be with me on this one. I asked one of them what he had for lunch at school the other day, and he said 'chilli and rice, and some stuff from the salad bar'. I then asked him what he'd chosen from the salad bar, and he said 'potato salad and pizza'.

And yes, 'picky bits' makes me want to poke my own eyes out, along with chefs frying/cooking/grilling everything 'off'.

Please
or

Lovesacake · 09/12/2021 08:04

I would only describe a salad a massive if it’s one of those you get sometimes in a restaurant where they have to justify the price by giving you a huge dish that’s full to the brim. I have salads for a main meal at home quite often and I’d say they were big but not massive.

Please
or

grannycake · 09/12/2021 08:12

Lashings is the one that really annoys me e.g.lashings of butter. Only ever hear this on MN (or Enid Blyton books)

Please
or

OMG12 · 09/12/2021 08:15

Quite frankly “veggies” is awful, but not nearly as bad as “pud” which makes me want to punch people in their face. “Taste explosion” also fucks me off! What is it about “foodies” (another wank word) that solicits such awful language?

Please
or

LemonTT · 09/12/2021 08:16

@AnotherMansCause

I will agree with you though, about the use of the word "veggies". The word is vegetables.

Exactly I would take veg at a push.

Salads are always massive on account of the base being a stake of leaves.
Please
or

Cuck00soup · 09/12/2021 08:21

Loads of veggies. Phrase had cauliflower cheese with their roast beef along with carrots and broccoli.

Massive salad. Phrase Had onions and sweet corn, not just lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Used to justify mahoosive dessert.

Please
or

StrawberrySquash · 09/12/2021 08:21

Love veg, love salad. Veggies is fuck annoying. Also annoying are restaurant main salads that should be massive, but are not remotely filling.

Please
or

Watercoloursky · 09/12/2021 08:26

@hyperborea

Thankfully my kids appear to be with me on this one. I asked one of them what he had for lunch at school the other day, and he said 'chilli and rice, and some stuff from the salad bar'. I then asked him what he'd chosen from the salad bar, and he said 'potato salad and pizza'.

And yes, 'picky bits' makes me want to poke my own eyes out, along with chefs frying/cooking/grilling everything 'off'.

Yes!! I love cooking shows on TV, but why does every cooking-related verb now have 'off' after it?

Fry off, roast off, brown off, toast off... oh, piss off! ;-)

When posters talk about 'good' bread, butter, chocolate, etc, I just take it as a stealth boast, I reckon it just means 'expensive'.
Please
or

Hummingbirdcake · 09/12/2021 08:28

I like vegetables and salad and I find these expressions irritating.

Please
or

TulipsTwoLips · 09/12/2021 08:29

I agree with you OP, I find it all very twee.

Please
or

Lovemusic33 · 09/12/2021 08:29

I love a huge salad, especially with pizza or Mac and cheese 🤣

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 09/12/2021 08:32

Does anyone remember Pizzaland in the 80s, there was a 'platter' consisting of a jacket spud, pizza and salad. It was great. Not really a massive salad though and IIRC coleslaw was involved. Shock

Please
or

RockinHorseShit · 09/12/2021 08:38

If that's all you have to get wound up about, think yourself lucky & give your head a wobble.

Though the way you put it, it sounds like you have wannabe failing health freaks in your circle, who over compensate their lack of good healthy food choices, with use of "loads" & "massive" to make themselves look better than they feel about themselves & that is a bit gag worthy

& a good salad would be filling & healthy. Mine would have roast salmon & baby new potatoes, with lots of variety on leaves etc, I'd eat that every day if I could. I'd never feel the need to announce it as a "massive salad" though, that sounds a bit daft, but I couldn't get wound up about it unless coming from someone who is usually a showy dickhead, but that's on them, rather than the phrasing

Please
or

hotmeatymilk · 09/12/2021 08:42

I actually love a salad as a meal, but not an especially “diety” one – Niçoise, Caesar, one my best friend makes with warm potatoes and feta. But I agree “massive salad” is an awful phrase.

Worse, IMO, though, are the roast dinner phrases:

Roast
Roasties
Mash
Yorkshires
Veg
Sides
Cauli cheese (leaving aside why the fuck you’re putting cauliflower cheese on a roast dinner)

See also: mains, meal and tasty

Please
or

JinglingHellsBells · 09/12/2021 08:47

@HangingDitch

I find people saying they had “loads of veggies” or “massive salad” with their meal irrationally irritating. Not the fact they had vegetables or a salad, just the phrases.

I am being unreasonable, aren’t I?

Yes you are.
Please
or

Tal45 · 09/12/2021 08:48

The only place I've heard the phrases 'massive salad' or 'loads of veggies' are on threads on here talking about people saying 'massive salad' and 'loads of veggies'.

Please
or

diddl · 09/12/2021 08:48

@Sparklingbrook

Does anyone remember Pizzaland in the 80s, there was a 'platter' consisting of a jacket spud, pizza and salad. It was great. Not really a massive salad though and IIRC coleslaw was involved. Shock

Was there somewhere that did a slice of pizza, half a jacket potato & garlic bread?

With coleslaw I think?
Please
or

IntermittentParps · 09/12/2021 08:49

YANBU. I find 'massive salad' particularly annoying. It's the word 'massive'.
It turns up on 'what are we wearing? threads as well, as 'massive scarf'. I don't know why it gets up my nose so much Grin

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 09/12/2021 08:50

How big does a salad have to be to be massive?
At what point does it go from big to massive? And where does huge come into it?

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 09/12/2021 08:50

When posters talk about 'good' bread, butter, chocolate, etc, I just take it as a stealth boast, I reckon it just means 'expensive'.

Totally. It's all over cookbooks and recipes too. Although some of them say 'the best you can afford', which is honest, at least.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.