Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad

HangingDitch · 08/12/2021 22:29

I find people saying they had “loads of veggies” or “massive salad” with their meal irrationally irritating. Not the fact they had vegetables or a salad, just the phrases.

I am being unreasonable, aren’t I?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bloodypunkrockers · 09/12/2021 00:41

Luzina. I see what you did there. Grin

Please
or

givethatbabyaname · 09/12/2021 00:41

See, I wouldn’t call NMC2022’s photos bowls of “salad”. Nutritionally and calorie wise, the leaves are negligible relative to the other stuff. I’d just call that what it is: “streaky bacon and chicken [is that what it is?] with spinach/ garden salad/ mixed leaves”.

To me, a salad is JUST raw vegetables, maybe with a dressing. Once you start putting goat’s cheese, or pancetta, or other proteins on it, it stops being about the vegetables and about the protein.

So when people say “massive salad” I immediately think (1) they’re lying, because nobody has 40 minutes to much through a massive bowl of raw vegetables (2) or it’s not massive (3) or it’s not a salad.

Please
or

Sparklfairy · 09/12/2021 00:42

It's normally on here I see it, by people on a diet/eating healthy, but my friend whatsapp me her 'loads of veggies' while she was on a health kick.

Huge mound of mashed potato (half the plate) and three pieces of broccoli, alongside chicken wrapped in bacon Grin We laughed about it when I pointed it out, I'm not a total dick Wink

Please
or

givethatbabyaname · 09/12/2021 00:45

I’ve just looked more closely at the photos: that’s a fuckton of streaky bacon there Grin. “Salad” really isn’t an accurate description! Looks delicious though Star

Please
or

MyDcAreMarvel · 09/12/2021 00:47

After you have prepared your massive salad it’s crucial you “go in with the” dressing.

Please
or

LemonSwan · 09/12/2021 00:50

YABU... because to me I understand the difference.

Massive salad is massive salad.

Salad could just be a garnish ie. a salad bag between 4.

Loads of veggies are loads of veggies.

Veggies could just be a few small broccoli heads or half a cereal bowl of peas.

Please
or

2018SoFarSoGreat · 09/12/2021 00:51

but.. yesterday I went out to lunch (first time since March 2020) and the only thing I could eat - from the whole menu - was a salad. When it came, it was indeed a massive salad. Silly to make something that enormous, but I guess they feel that since they charge the same as for most other mains, they have to make it look like it is worth the money. SO MUCH SALAD. It was indeed massive.

In normal situations, both of these phrases annoy me a tiny bit, but being vegetarian I do tend to speak of both veg and salads when referring to most meals.

Please
or

grapewine · 09/12/2021 01:02

@Bloodypunkrockers

Huge salads
Massive pots of chilli

Never normal sized. Very irritating

I would add
Hot choc
Toms
Tinned toms
Pots
Jkt pots
Spag bol
Mac n cheese
And the use of "good" and "proper" when talking about bread, butter, etc

When you add in all the Yums
and yummies it's little wonder I avoid food threads usually.

You nailed it.
Please
or

cantgetmyheadroundit · 09/12/2021 01:06

"I'm sure some of them are actually sucking Primula cheese from a tube as they write those posts."

😂😂

Please
or

Grayskelly · 09/12/2021 01:31

Another vote for bung.

Using the word bung does not suddenly make a massive cooking effort involving 4 saucepans, 2 oven trays and chopping 3 kg of ingredients suddenly quick and easy. Bung it in the oven, bung it in the dishwasher.

How about you bung it where the sun doesn't shine.

Please
or

everythingbackbutyou · 09/12/2021 02:23

@RobertaFirmino, meet Hershey’s 🤢

Please
or

Goatinthegarden · 09/12/2021 02:26

Is it just the phrasing that’s annoying? Or the implied virtuousness of the person consuming lots of nutritious food?

My favourite hangover meal when I was in my twenties was to fill an actual mixing bowl with cold pasta, salad veg (tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, lettuce,, beetroot, whatever else was in the fridge) add in olives and half a block of feta, then cover with dressing. Definitely not a lightweight meal, but it felt like I was having some sort of balance to my diet. I still eat variations of that for lunch quite often, but I tend to use a more civilised looking bowl or plate.

My mum was a bit mad about vegetables when I was growing up, so I naturally add a lot of vegetables into everything I eat. I’m sometimes a bit surprised by how few vegetables some of my friends eat in a day.

FWIW, I also eat plenty of other lovely food groups with my vegetables.

Please
or

MoltenLasagne · 09/12/2021 02:51

A salad is just salad vegetables and would be side dish. For me a massive salad is a main that requires a cheese, a protein and a carb like croutons plus extra jarred things like artichoke hearts and those stuffed peppers. Usually equally as fattening as the lasagne I could have had instead...

Please
or

2catsandhappy · 09/12/2021 05:26

@Bloodypunkrockers I hear your 'throw, bung and chuck' and raise you, 'pop'. All perky like and nonchalant.

Please
or

cantbeforeal · 09/12/2021 05:44

'Hot buttered crumpets' is one I've seen on here a few times that does my head in Angry they're all hot and buttered nobody eats cold plain crumpets do they??

Please
or

SimpsonsXmasBoogie · 09/12/2021 05:57

@MiniMiniMiniBar

Does this make anyone else think of ‘The Big Salad’ episode of Seinfeld? Xmas Grin

You had to have the BIG SALAD!!
Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 09/12/2021 06:12

Naice ham.. ffs

Please
or

FortunesFave · 09/12/2021 06:16

YABU. I say massive salad when I've had a salad that includes protein like eggs or avocado...maybe even corn chips or cheese. It would have loads of different leaf and salad vegetables too.

Please
or

lololololollll · 09/12/2021 06:20

@cantbeforeal

'Hot buttered crumpets' is one I've seen on here a few times that does my head in Angry they're all hot and buttered nobody eats cold plain crumpets do they??

Aaargh I hate you! I'm trying to low carb low dairy and now I'm gonna have to have hot buttered crumpets! At least I can use marg 😄😇
Please
or

NMC2022 · 09/12/2021 06:22

@givethatbabyaname

I’ve just looked more closely at the photos: that’s a fuckton of streaky bacon there Grin. “Salad” really isn’t an accurate description! Looks delicious though Star

I guess I call it salad because it's got salad leaves, cucumber, pickles, tomatoes, spring onion and radishes in it (the bowl is deep!) so there isn't really another description that fits!
It's 25g chopped up crispy bacon as I use this pack which is 50g and half a pack is what I use for one salad
Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad
Please
or

WeDidntMeanToGoToSea · 09/12/2021 06:32

@MoltenLasagne

A salad is just salad vegetables and would be side dish. For me a massive salad is a main that requires a cheese, a protein and a carb like croutons plus extra jarred things like artichoke hearts and those stuffed peppers. Usually equally as fattening as the lasagne I could have had instead...

Yes.

I wouldn't actually say 'massive salad', but I like my salad to contain parmesan shavings, toasted pine nuts or perhaps walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes and vinaigrette. That's virtually a meal in itself.

'Massive salad' is (IMO) in the same category as the ubiquitous 'tall and sporty' MN kids who 'grow like weeds' and are all 'flying' at school and 'top of their class' ( Hmm as if everyone's children went to Malory Towers). Essentially an expression of 'this is how great at life I am'.
Please
or

Joystir59 · 09/12/2021 06:54

"picky bits" makes me itch inside. Awful.

Please
or

silverley · 09/12/2021 06:59

I hate it because it's a symptom of my least favourite thing in the world - people trying to convince themselves they are enjoying eating healthily by telling me all about it.

One of my friends is awful for this - "oh, I went to a coffee shop and I had a small slice of cake there, but just one, and it was so light, you know, just so LIGHT, and she makes them all with healthy ingredients and it was all fresh and LIGHT so it isn't too bad for you..." and on and on. I couldn't care less, and it's just interrupting my enjoyment of a pint of ben and jerrys.

Unfortunately people need to tell someone else about it, to get the validation from you, as there is no possible way to convince themselves that they are actually enjoying their massive salad/pile of veggies/facsimile of a cake.

This thread has made me want pork pie too. Grin

Please
or

HelloDulling · 09/12/2021 07:15

@RobertaFirmino

No you aren't being unreasonable. It also grates when people say that for their monthly treat, they have a square or two of 'good' chocolate. All chocolate is good.

Monthly? Greedy cows. I hope they mean annual.
Please
or

TatianaBis · 09/12/2021 07:28

I hate:

‘Veg/veggies’
‘Roasties’
‘Steak dinner’
‘Plate up’

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.