Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad

HangingDitch · 08/12/2021 22:29

I find people saying they had “loads of veggies” or “massive salad” with their meal irrationally irritating. Not the fact they had vegetables or a salad, just the phrases.

I am being unreasonable, aren’t I?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mrsjayy · 08/12/2021 22:51

My massive salads usually have cheese and pork pie in them so not exactly healthy wink

"Pork pie is a salad ingredient now?

Who knew?"

Yes you will find it between the tomato and lettuce and Branston pickle

Please
or

tellmewhentheLangshiplandscoz · 08/12/2021 22:52

[quote OhGiveUp]@Bloodypunkrockers Don't forget the Nom Nom 🤬[/quote]
God yes. This for me marks the person who says it as Someone I Could Never Be Friends With.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 08/12/2021 22:54

I hate chewing my way through a massive salad. I don't mind 'loads of veggies' as long as they include stuff like Dauphinoise potatoes and cauliflower cheese. Grin

On MN you also have to have some 'nice crusty bread' too. Just to differentiate from a slice of orange Warburtons. Grin

Please
or

DukkaTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly · 08/12/2021 22:55

One medium pizza can feed a family of 17 if you serve it with a ‘massive salad’ you know.

Please
or

amusedbush · 08/12/2021 22:55

[quote OhGiveUp]@Bloodypunkrockers Don't forget the Nom Nom 🤬[/quote]
One of my friends says nom nom. She sometimes refers to food itself as "noms" and once wrote the word sandwich as "sammich".

She is 37 years old Angry

Please
or

RampantIvy · 08/12/2021 22:57

@AnotherMansCause

Many people like vegetables. I do. The fact that thiese phrases irritates you says something about your feelings towards vegetables, I suspect?

I find a meal without vegetables dull and boring, and I love salad. I also love most foods, so am not holier than thou about healthy foods.

I prefer salad with lasagne for example, because I love it.
Please
or

GertrudeBElion · 08/12/2021 22:57

they have a square or two of 'good' chocolate

And the use of "good" and "proper" when talking about bread, butter, etc

Yes! 'Good' is my own particular bugbear.

Please
or

Flutterflybutterby · 08/12/2021 22:58

@RobertaFirmino

No you aren't being unreasonable. It also grates when people say that for their monthly treat, they have a square or two of 'good' chocolate. All chocolate is good.

"All chocolate is good."

Amen to that Grin
Please
or

ClementineWardobe · 08/12/2021 23:01

It's people who say they are 'getting their veggies' that bug me. It's all over healthy eating conversations online... 'gotta get your veggies in..'
Gah. Like it's some sort of daily target that resets each morning, and if you miss the target one Tuesday your head will fall off. These people are usually convinced by things like bone broth and superfoods.. Also nonsense.

Please
or

Thatsplentyjack · 08/12/2021 23:04

When people on here say massive salad I just picture them tediously munching their way through mounds of iceberg lettuce with nothing else. A bit like Bruce Bogtrotter with the chocolate cake in Matilda.

Please
or

Pbbananabagel · 08/12/2021 23:06

@cantgetmyheadroundit
‘Picky bits’ I hate so much, gives me a mental image of carrions birds pecking out a load of eyeballs.

Please
or

Pensieve · 08/12/2021 23:08

I never describe it like this but to me a decent salad that’s a meal ends up being “massive” cos you need a large plate (plus maybe a side plate) to fit it all on. Lettuce is less efficient space/volume than say peas 😂 As well as the usual lettuce and tomatoes etc. a salad is a meal to me only with loads of olives/artichokes type additions, at least 1 protein, probably crackers or other carb plus dressing. Massive pile of lettuce and carrot is what I feed my Guinea pigs and does not a meal make.

Please
or

Pensieve · 08/12/2021 23:10

Picky bits reminds me of the colour beige and that v ill looking Gillian McKeith person.

Please
or

NMC2022 · 08/12/2021 23:12

@BurntO

I’d love to see pictures from British families of their massive salads.

I wouldn't say it was massive, although I might say big salad to differentiate from side salad!
The bowls are pasta bowls and I use a full bag of salad leaves. One of my favourite meals
Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad
Please
or

MiniMiniMiniBar · 08/12/2021 23:12

Does this make anyone else think of ‘The Big Salad’ episode of Seinfeld? Xmas Grin

Please
or

ODFOgrinch · 08/12/2021 23:15

Meh. I like veggies. It's a cosy colloquialism.
I especially like the fact that back when I was a student veggie meant vegetarian: 'he's a veggie and hangs around Holland and Barrett' so when people say that they eat a massive pile of veggies I have a fleetingly brief vision of someone munching through a stack of 70s/80s hummus lovers!

Please
or

OytheBumbler · 08/12/2021 23:16

I once ordered a salad in a pub because it seemed a mature thing to do for a woman of my age and I'd never done it before.
Fuck me it was literally a salad- leaves, cucumber and tomato.

I'll not be making that mistake again. Sad

Please
or

HangingDitch · 08/12/2021 23:16

With salads it’s more that they always seem to be massive. No one ever has a modest salad, or a small salad, or (my personal favourite) an arbitrary salad.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pensieve · 08/12/2021 23:20

To be fair not sure I could be arsed with the chopping for a ‘small’ salad, certainly not an arbitrary one, I like to plan my salad.

Please
or

OhGiveUp · 08/12/2021 23:22

Or... tonight I made a lasagna with a side salad.
It's always...I made a lasagna from scratch with a massive salad. I can only manage half a lettuce leaf and a bite of a cherry tomato, but my tall, athletic son hoovered it up.

Please
or

AlwaysLatte · 08/12/2021 23:23

I hate the word 'veggies' even though I like to eat lots of them!

Please
or

PickAChew · 08/12/2021 23:25

A salad can fill a bowl and barely weigh 50g, to be fair..

I enjoy veg.

Chocolate gives me migraines.

Currently scarfing my second bowl of crisps of the evening.

Please
or

HopeYourHighHorseBucks · 08/12/2021 23:26

YANBU. It's a dramatic way of saying how much they looooove healthy food and choose to have MASSIVE PORTIONS OF IT. Not like those other people, who throw some carrots on a plate and call it vegetables. Some people also are very descriptive about their food. Writing "nom nom" Envy after a food post.

I eat salad regularly, when people ask what I'm having for dinner I will say. Chicken and a mixed salad...

Please
or

TuftyMarmoset · 08/12/2021 23:28

@RobertaFirmino have you eaten kinnerton chocolate? That may change your mind

Please
or

BronwenFrideswide · 08/12/2021 23:29

@OhGiveUp

Any adult who refers to vegetables as veggies deserves to be pelted with frozen sprouts until they see the error of their ways.
YANBU op.

Absolutely and also those who describe vegetarians as veggies.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.