Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Loads of Veggies and Massive Salad

HangingDitch · 08/12/2021 22:29

I find people saying they had “loads of veggies” or “massive salad” with their meal irrationally irritating. Not the fact they had vegetables or a salad, just the phrases.

I am being unreasonable, aren’t I?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Strokethefurrywall · 08/12/2021 23:32

People’s obsessions with “massive salads” on here is something else. That and protein.

Please
or

JeffThePilot · 08/12/2021 23:38

Clean eating is the one that sets my teeth on edge.

Though I do also have a Facebook friend, middle aged, who posts about her “din-dins” and “drinky-poos “.

Please
or

OhGiveUp · 08/12/2021 23:49

Aaargh. That's up there with a ' cheeky ' wine / gin or whatever they're drinking. 😡

Please
or

ABCeasyasdohrayme · 08/12/2021 23:55

Legend has it that eating a normal sized salad on MN results in instant banning.

Please
or

Duckrace · 08/12/2021 23:58

I eat salad for lunch often. I've found that filling salads are more varied than green leaves and cucumber, and that dressing is important for filling you up too. Here's a few:

www.yummly.co.uk/recipes/jamie-oliver-salad

Please
or

ShowOfHands · 08/12/2021 23:58

@Bloodypunkrockers

Huge salads
Massive pots of chilli

Never normal sized. Very irritating

I would add
Hot choc
Toms
Tinned toms
Pots
Jkt pots
Spag bol
Mac n cheese
And the use of "good" and "proper" when talking about bread, butter, etc

When you add in all the Yums
and yummies it's little wonder I avoid food threads usually.

Oh God I think I might love you a bit.

"We had massive jacket pots and yummy sides for lunch so we're just doing picky bits for tea".

It's the affectations and the descriptions. I tore into a steak or I threw some tapas together or chucked some veg in a pan. I had a sliver of cake. I nibbled on some veg bits. I just had a few crumbs. Yummy. Yum. Yums.

Oh God. It infects my feelings about other phrases too. People throwing on a pair of jeans and popping along to things. It's all so visceral and obscene.

I can't bear any of it.
Please
or

AdaColeman · 09/12/2021 00:03

All bread is “crusty” on Mumsnet.

Veggies, yummy and nom nom are incredibly irritating.

Please
or

Cheerbear24 · 09/12/2021 00:04

@JeffThePilot

Clean eating is the one that sets my teeth on edge.

Though I do also have a Facebook friend, middle aged, who posts about her “din-dins” and “drinky-poos “.

Din dins Grin I know someone who says ‘nommers’ it makes me very irrationally angry.
The truth is Lettuce is actually shit, and everyone is only pretending to like it. There I’ve said it.
Please
or

NMC2022 · 09/12/2021 00:04

@AdaColeman

All bread is “crusty” on Mumsnet.

Veggies, yummy and nom nom are incredibly irritating.

Nom nom makes me want to vom vom
Please
or

tallduckandhandsome · 09/12/2021 00:05

chucked some veg in a pan

Omg I knew other people hated ‘huge salads’ but so glad to hear someone else hates ‘chuck’. What’s wrong with plain old ‘put’?! Saying ‘chuck’ does not make the process any quicker!

Please
or

Westfacing · 09/12/2021 00:06

Hidden veggies

Please
or

Bloodypunkrockers · 09/12/2021 00:07

[quote Duckrace]I eat salad for lunch often. I've found that filling salads are more varied than green leaves and cucumber, and that dressing is important for filling you up too. Here's a few:

www.yummly.co.uk/recipes/jamie-oliver-salad[/quote]
FFS

The name of the website is giving me the rage

Please
or

Bloodypunkrockers · 09/12/2021 00:08

God yes, no one makes dishes

They throw, bung and chuck stuff in a pan or in the oven

Please
or

Avocadoseed · 09/12/2021 00:13

I’m the same with the word Hubby 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮 cannot fucking stand it

Please
or

Immaculatemisconception · 09/12/2021 00:20

@Mrsjayy

My massive salads usually have cheese and pork pie in them so not exactly healthy Wink

My DH’s “salad” consists of crusty bread, with plenty of butter, pork pie, ham, cheese and pickles.
Please
or

bumblenbean · 09/12/2021 00:22

I like ‘veggies’ (though admittedly the word is very irritating).. but I just can’t get on board with salads. Whatever way you cut it they’re not sufficiently filling imho. Lettuce in particular is the most insipid, bland excuse for food. Might as well chew on a leaf

Please
or

JulesRimetStillGleaming · 09/12/2021 00:22

I had lettuce in massive burgers in brioche buns for dinner. Does that count?

Please
or

Luzina · 09/12/2021 00:25

It’s annoying because it’s virtue signalling

Please
or

HemanOrSheRa · 09/12/2021 00:25

@OytheBumbler

I once ordered a salad in a pub because it seemed a mature thing to do for a woman of my age and I'd never done it before.
Fuck me it was literally a salad- leaves, cucumber and tomato.

I'll not be making that mistake again. Sad

I did that once when I was trying to be a proper grown up. A prawn with Marie Rose sauce salad. I have never suffered such food disappointment before or since Sad.

LASHINGS of good butter reminds me of Ina Garten but not in a good way Grin.
Please
or

Luzina · 09/12/2021 00:26

@bumblenbean

I like ‘veggies’ (though admittedly the word is very irritating).. but I just can’t get on board with salads. Whatever way you cut it they’re not sufficiently filling imho. Lettuce in particular is the most insipid, bland excuse for food. Might as well chew on a leaf

Lettuce literally is chewing on a leaf. I love salad though. Hearts of romaine, cucumber, celery, radishes with loads of dressing. Yum
Please
or

Simplelobsterhat · 09/12/2021 00:30

So glad it's not just me... I get so annoyed that no one ever just has salad or veg on mumsnet, it has to be massive. And indeed yes to always crusty bread.

I also notice people like to talk about 'good, nourishing food' a lot. Which is really vague as most food has nutrients in it.

It's all about making sure everyone knows you eat lots of healthy things and only buy more expensive items...

I don't actually mind 'picky bits' though, I get what sort of thing people mean so it's a useful term.

Mind you, I like instant coffee, cereal for breakfast and thorntons and cadbury chocolate so i should have been kicked off mumsnet by now.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 09/12/2021 00:31

It's not a proper MN massive salad unless it has naice ham on it.

Please
or

Simplelobsterhat · 09/12/2021 00:33

Also don't forget to mention everything is 'fresh' just in case people think you are eating stale stuff or , shock horror, tins!Grin

Please
or

Summerfun54321 · 09/12/2021 00:33

When I hear the word “veggies” I think of of poor innocent vegetables boiled to within an inch of their lives until they turn grey and tasteless.

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 09/12/2021 00:40

I think the 'massive salad' crew are also the ones who take pride in telling you how they shoe-horn random vegetables into every meal in order to hit their arbitrary target. So a poached egg on toast for breakfast but with a side of cucumber and radishes, or a roast beef dinner with the usual veg accompaniments plus corn on the cob, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes.

I'm sure some of them are actually sucking Primula cheese from a tube as they write those posts.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.