Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not care what the government decided are Christmas…

Oftenithinkaboutit · 29/11/2021 09:59

Because my (small) family and I will be sticking precisely to our plans to get together. Just the children and me on Christmas Day

And then my 3 siblings and 3 children on Boxing Day.

All double vaccinated. 4 children and 1 adult have had covid (very mildly). The others, who knows!

Does t matter what’s decided. We will do exactly as planned

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

BlueFlavour · 29/11/2021 10:40

I’m not anxious btw.

Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 29/11/2021 10:40

Had covid in September. Was doubly vaccinated at that point. Now had booster. But still struggling with long term effects of covid. We've been extra careful, wearing masks, using hand gel & keeping social distancing where possible because DH & DS are asthmatic but still got it. Watching news daily to see how serious Omicron variant likely to be.

Please
or

rainbowandglitter · 29/11/2021 10:41

Surely these posts should be in the coronavirus section so they can be hidden? Really sick of these posts from people telling us what they're doing for Xmas. Why do we need to know?

Please
or

Starcup · 29/11/2021 10:42

I think most people will feel the same…

Please
or

Franklin12 · 29/11/2021 10:42

I couldnt care less what you do tbh. But dont start boasting about it as though your family and plans are the only thing that concerns the rest of us. The government are not doing this to annoy you and mess up your plans...

There is another thread where someone is bleating there isnt enough notice to get a PCR test due to travel restirctions and they cannot afford it anyway. What is meant to happen? Wait until you save up for it??

Please
or

BarbedButterfly · 29/11/2021 10:42

I will be keeping an eye on cases as our local area is very high and I am clinically vulnerable. My partner also wants to be careful as he had covid back in July and has never been so unwell. He almost did end up in hospital and both of us are double jabbed. But we don't tend to attend huge gatherings anywayv

Please
or

BarbedButterfly · 29/11/2021 10:43

Pressed enter too quickly. Neither of us have got our full hearing back months later and his parents have still both lost their sense of smell.

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 29/11/2021 10:43

Not everyone has a linear course @Oftenithinkaboutit

The crushing fatigue, brain fog etc have all come later for me. I bet you feel clever for using the search function.

Please
or

Meatshake · 29/11/2021 10:44

I would support a proper, 2 week complete circuit breaker lockdown to control cases NOW, particularly of the new variant, so that we could have a normal Christmas.

I won't support the dithering and fucking about that I think is going to happen until the 18/19 when they finally decide "nah sorry bruv" and start implementing wishy washy half measures.

We're having a normal Christmas come hell or high water

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 29/11/2021 10:45

Do what you want OP, just do away with the judgement on those who wish to follow government restrictions.

Please
or

JustinOtherdad · 29/11/2021 10:45

Well as long as you can only see to the end of your own nose I'm sure it'll be ok. Think about it...

If your 3 siblings all separately 'only' meet with 3 other people, and if each of those 3 only meets with 3 people... that's only 27 possible routes of transmission. So as long as everyone behaves in the same way as you then it's only a few more iterations before it's in the tens of thousands of transmission routes.

So while it may not be unreasonable for you to meet with a small number of close family in a small bubble, it is unreasonable for people to start thinking "sod the guidelines I'll just do what I want".

Please
or

thedefinitionofmadness · 29/11/2021 10:45

Whilst I think the govt is incompetent and I am fed up of Covid ruining so much of our lives, anyone who flagrantly disregards the health of others and our collective wellbeing is a dick, so yeah, YABU.

Please
or

lescompagnonsdeloue · 29/11/2021 10:46

You need to relax a bit more and live in the moment OP!

Please
or

ilovesooty · 29/11/2021 10:46

@PurpleDaisies

Not everyone has a linear course *@Oftenithinkaboutit*

The crushing fatigue, brain fog etc have all come later for me. I bet you feel clever for using the search function.

I don't think you have to justify yourself in response to the unpleasant comments of the OP.

I hope you feel better soon.
Please
or

MysteriousSoup · 29/11/2021 10:47

[quote YokoOnosHat]@Oftenithinkaboutit tell us more about your Libertarian ways and rebellious spirit, you sound like a fascinating person.[/quote]
Genius Grin

Please
or

Smokeahontas · 29/11/2021 10:47

Smashing, thanks for letting us know.

Please
or

SpinachIsAGatewayDrug · 29/11/2021 10:49

Okay. So I'll put you down as a maybe for lunch, then?

Please
or

FrownedUpon · 29/11/2021 10:50

I’m not sure anyone really cares what you’re doing. Just get on and live your life without making a show and performance of it. What are we supposed to say? “Well done-you’re so brave and clever?”

Please
or

AllThingsServeTheBeam · 29/11/2021 10:51

@Meatshake

I would support a proper, 2 week complete circuit breaker lockdown to control cases NOW, particularly of the new variant, so that we could have a normal Christmas.

I won't support the dithering and fucking about that I think is going to happen until the 18/19 when they finally decide "nah sorry bruv" and start implementing wishy washy half measures.

We're having a normal Christmas come hell or high water

This.

You just know it's going to happen. No one is stopping me seeing my family this year
Please
or

ilovesooty · 29/11/2021 10:51

@Meatshake I wouldn't support two weeks of disruption to large numbers of people societally and economically with the vague aim of "saving" Christmas.

Please
or

luckylavender · 29/11/2021 10:51

@Oftenithinkaboutit - I dislike this government with every fibre of my body. However I do not believe they want to ruin Christmas. For once they seem to have acted quickly. It's annoying.

Please
or

ilovesooty · 29/11/2021 10:52

"You just know it's going to happen"

Ridiculously dramatic.

Please
or

Onatree · 29/11/2021 10:53

Lucky you OP.

My parents in Asian country havent yet met their "new" grandchild I birthed in Jan last year.

Mum had tickets and visa sorted. We stupidly believed this Christmas we'd be together after all. She'd hold her "new" grandbaby who's nearly 2. We got the bedroom ready.

Even if planes fly, can we now subject her to this massive transcontinetal travel? No I suppose.

I could scream.

Please
or

doublemonkey · 29/11/2021 10:53

@BarbedButterfly

Pressed enter too quickly. Neither of us have got our full hearing back months later and his parents have still both lost their sense of smell.

Sorry to hear this. You can do smell training for the loss of smell. I made up my own kit last year and it does seem to work. You can buy kits too.

abscent.org/learn-us/smell-training
Please
or

Chakraleaf · 29/11/2021 10:53

Not sure the point in this post

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.