Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not care what the government decided are Christmas…

Oftenithinkaboutit · 29/11/2021 09:59

Because my (small) family and I will be sticking precisely to our plans to get together. Just the children and me on Christmas Day

And then my 3 siblings and 3 children on Boxing Day.

All double vaccinated. 4 children and 1 adult have had covid (very mildly). The others, who knows!

Does t matter what’s decided. We will do exactly as planned

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Sugarplumfairy65 · 30/11/2021 14:58

YABVVU

Please
or

occa · 30/11/2021 14:28

Nobody cares OP, why are you trying to start a fight about nothing?

Please
or

Acinaces · 30/11/2021 14:26

I will be having Christmas has planned.

Nightclubs and pubs are open, so why shouldn't I spend time with my family!

Please
or

girlmom21 · 29/11/2021 13:54

@AllThatFancyPaintsAsFair

Should we all be adding things we are doing that we haven't been told not to do?

I thought I might go to a coffee shop later and not wear a mask, anyone else in England doing the same?

I might put my Christmas decorations up in November, even though nobody's told me I can't and almost definitely never will tell me that.
Please
or

grapewine · 29/11/2021 13:38

@neverbeenskiing

Nobody cares what you do or don't do for Christmas. If you really feel the need to make a big announcement about how you plan to respond to restrictions that only exist in your head at the moment can you at least keep it to the Coronavirus board?

Exactly this.
Please
or

Treaclepie19 · 29/11/2021 13:13

My worry is that should any of us need the hospital, our local one is struggling to cope.
My 6 year old had to go with breathing difficulties (pcr negative) and he was say in a corridor for 5 hours. Then was only seen because he'd improved such a lot and my husband suggested he came home and slept until we could see our own doctor (which ended up the same time as at a&e)

So yeah, I would rather keep cases low just in case because hospitals are struggling.

Please
or

ChocolateQuiltedShitpig · 29/11/2021 12:56

And - felt rough, tired, flu feeling etc?
But nothing serious
And not a whiff of a need of hospital care

OK I didn't care to respond until this. Now you're just being a twat.

Tell you what OP, I'm glad you feel you can go in if this new strain gets any worse. That you would feel no guilt about risking your small families life. I wish I could share the same lack of empathy and worry.

Please
or

x2boys · 29/11/2021 12:46

People keep saying this ,but IF hospitalisations and deaths do start to massively increase ( and we don't know yet) most people then start sticking to the rules and even the ones determined to break the rules ,might find others don't want to see them ,

Please
or

ilovesooty · 29/11/2021 12:45

@UsernameInTheTown

I was under the impression that nobody listened to the Government's twaddle anymore, or is this just where I live?

Evidently people do, or at least they've taken on board a not so subtle threat of something that is highly unlikely to happen.

No wonder we get the government we have when people are so suggestible
Please
or

neverbeenskiing · 29/11/2021 12:41

Nobody cares what you do or don't do for Christmas. If you really feel the need to make a big announcement about how you plan to respond to restrictions that only exist in your head at the moment can you at least keep it to the Coronavirus board?

Please
or

UsernameInTheTown · 29/11/2021 11:53

I was under the impression that nobody listened to the Government's twaddle anymore, or is this just where I live?

Please
or

Pugdogmom · 29/11/2021 11:38

Biscuit
Please
or

NowEvenBetter · 29/11/2021 11:34

Tell us more fascinating details about what you would do in situations you just made up in your own head?

Please
or

ilovesooty · 29/11/2021 11:33

@5128gap

In fairness to the OP, something as staid and conservative as seeing your family probably does feel like a major rebellion when its against the law. Very law abiding people have been tying themselves in knots throughout this when their natural desire to comply clashes with their rationality. Like the soul searching about whether it was ok to buy a bar of chocolate alongside your 'essentials'. People come on here to seek affirmation.

Mixing with people isn't against the law currently and there's no evidence that it's going to be, although the government making constant references to Christmas plants the thought in people's minds I suppose.

I doubt the OP was just about affirmation though. Her follow up posts indicate otherwise.
Please
or

AllThatFancyPaintsAsFair · 29/11/2021 11:32

Should we all be adding things we are doing that we haven't been told not to do?

I thought I might go to a coffee shop later and not wear a mask, anyone else in England doing the same?

Please
or

lancashirelady · 29/11/2021 11:30

Which side would you like me to pin your medal on?

Please
or

5128gap · 29/11/2021 11:27

I do wish we could move on from the 'i don't want to kill my mother' melodrama. Its a very offensive way of saying you don't want to risk giving her covid. Can you imagine how language like that might feel to a child who has brought covid home from school, or someone with no choice but to go to high risk places and then interact with older relatives?

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 29/11/2021 11:23

Thanks for the nice comments. Not nice to be reminded I was feeling so much better before it all got worse again.
Smell came back but energy and concentration is missing in action. I really hope this doesn’t go on for too long.

I think it’s obvious what the op is up to here.

Please
or

PuzzledObserver · 29/11/2021 11:21

Our current plan is that DH and I (both had Covid pre-vax, since had both doses plus booster) are spending a couple of days with DM (86, lives 2 hours away with no family nearer than us, has had all 3 doses).

However, if there are restrictions, we will follow them. And given where we live is an absolute COVID hotspot at the moment, we will keep an eye on things. We will also do LFT’s a few days before we go and on the morning we go.

And if any of that looks dodgy, we’ll discuss cancelling. Because I don’t want to kill my mother, who is pretty well, walks the dogs every day, but when push comes to shove, is 86.

Please
or

grapewine · 29/11/2021 11:20

@PurpleDaisies

Not everyone has a linear course *@Oftenithinkaboutit*

The crushing fatigue, brain fog etc have all come later for me. I bet you feel clever for using the search function.

No need to justify yourself. OP just made herself look like a tit with that comment.

Feel better soon.
Please
or

ThisissoSHIT · 29/11/2021 11:18

See your family OP, covid is nowhere near as deadly as, say, cancer, which killed my mum after a year of her barely seeing anyone.

Please
or

5128gap · 29/11/2021 11:18

In fairness to the OP, something as staid and conservative as seeing your family probably does feel like a major rebellion when its against the law. Very law abiding people have been tying themselves in knots throughout this when their natural desire to comply clashes with their rationality. Like the soul searching about whether it was ok to buy a bar of chocolate alongside your 'essentials'. People come on here to seek affirmation.

Please
or

PuzzledObserver · 29/11/2021 11:17

You are being unreasonable to tell us you’re double vaccinated. You are just as likely to spread covid as the unvaccinated.

It is true that double vaccinated people can catch and transmit Covid.

It is not true that they are just as likely to as the unvaccinated. Depending how many jabs they’ve had and how long ago, it’s somewhere between 30 and 90% reduction in risk.

hth.

Please
or

MrsLarry · 29/11/2021 11:15

What a strange post. The government haven't made any rules about not seeing people over Christmas. Or have I missed something?

Please
or

MrKlaw · 29/11/2021 11:14

• I don't care what you do for your personal christmas

• however, I do care what you do more widely.

At the moment there aren't any rules/guidance preventing meet-ups and I doubt there will be. But if there were - and you chose to meet up anyway, I would like to think you'd limit wider exposure - eg going to the pub etc until a reasonable amount of time has passed. So any increased risk you're willing to take, is limited to your family circle and you aren't imposing it on others without their choice being taken into account
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.