Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To be furious he mentioned this in public?!

Neverfightamanwithaperm · 28/11/2021 20:18

Manager at work came and told me he wanted to discuss my absence record next week with me whilst we were standing in a small room full of other employees?! AIBU to be a bit like WTF? There are numerous other rooms off this one that he could have taken me into...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

LovelyIssues · 30/11/2021 15:53

@workshy44 zero bugs around?! I work in a primary school and a third of the class are off poorly. None with covid. Of course there are other bugs sti going around. Christ.

Please
or

Topsyturveymam · 30/11/2021 16:16

Yes, it was unprofessional.
Typical mumsnet though - posts trying to check out why you were away and to go through their own little evaluation as to whether your absence was ‘valid’ in their eyes 😂

Please
or

Pinkandpink · 30/11/2021 16:19

workshy44
What a stupid comment!

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman · 30/11/2021 16:23

@starlight13

I imagine it would have been your colleagues who would have raised this issue with your manager and she is speaking to you in front of them to show them that she is 'dealing' with it.
If you need to have this talk, then your absence must be pretty poor.

Do people really not understand even the most basic things about management and professionalism? If a team member goes to a manager with concerns about another’s absence, the manager should a) ask why it is an issue - are they having to take on extra work because of it, b) thank them for bringing it to their attention and c) remind them that they cannot discuss another employee’s performance with them.

What you 100% do NOT do is make a point of mentioning the issue in the middle of the office to make sure other employees know what’s going on.
Please
or

ellyeth · 02/12/2021 22:43

Totally wrong and unprofessional to speak to you about your absence record in the presence of other work colleagues.

Please
or

Fluffmum · 04/12/2021 18:25

Go to the union

Please
or

Coconutmummy · 04/12/2021 20:04

Your absence record is not confidential. As when you are sick your colleagues do know. What is confidential is the reason for it. I don’t think what he said was unreasonable

Please
or

ellyeth · 04/12/2021 23:18

Somebody's absences are not doubt noticed by colleagues and, as such, that person's absence record is not, in itself, confidential.

However, I believe a manager's job is to address issues directly, calmly and confidentially, with an employee and not to make a point of embarrassing and demeaning said employee in front of colleagues. It is just very bad practice.

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman · 05/12/2021 00:25

Exactly @ellyeth. Of course people may have noticed the absences - that doesn’t make it acceptable for the OP’s boss to publicly draw attention to them.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.