Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To be furious he mentioned this in public?!

Neverfightamanwithaperm · 28/11/2021 20:18

Manager at work came and told me he wanted to discuss my absence record next week with me whilst we were standing in a small room full of other employees?! AIBU to be a bit like WTF? There are numerous other rooms off this one that he could have taken me into...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Minniem2020 · 28/11/2021 22:14

If only there were zero bugs going around.Even if I discount me catching covid, I've been more ill in the past 4 months than I have in the last 4 years. I normally never get sick!

Please
or

Bigballer · 28/11/2021 22:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

JackieCollinshasnoauthority · 28/11/2021 22:27

4 days off is nothing and the Bradford factor is old fashioned BS.

Please
or

LoveFall · 28/11/2021 22:40

The OP was upset about the manager asking her publicly. I don't think she was asking whether her number of absences was a problem.

I think the manager telling her he wanted to meet with her about her absences in front of others was rude, unprofessional, and in effect a privacy breach. Her peers do not have a need for that information.

A properly functioning organization would not allow its managers to behave like this.

Honestly, have we all forgotten the golden rule? How would you feel if that happened to you?

Please
or

lightisnotwhite · 28/11/2021 22:46

Well there would have to be less bugs surely given the circumstances.

I find it’s always the CF ers that like to complain about other peoples professionalism.

Please
or

SapphireSeptember · 28/11/2021 22:48

@Bigballer

I wonder how you think people should work on their immune systems? Especially as we weren't using them properly for nearly a year, what with the masks, social distancing and handwashing.

Please
or

Briarshollow · 28/11/2021 22:59

@Bluntness100

To be honest I imagine if your absence record is bad enough they need to talk to you about it’s your colleagues will already know. They will have spotted you’re not there.

Rather missing the point there.
Please
or

Ugzbugz · 28/11/2021 22:59

Corporate world???

Please
or

MrsSkylerWhite · 28/11/2021 23:00

Four days in a year - this past year especially - sounds pretty good to me!

Please
or

Bigballer · 28/11/2021 23:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

BowledOverly · 28/11/2021 23:04

@workshy44

He should of discussed it in private but “only” 4 days apart from COVID ?? That’s a lot as there are literally zero bugs around apart from it added to all the hand washing etc. I haven’t had a sickness day since covid

Zero bugs!!!! So the dozens of kids we’ve had to phone home to be collected from school this week with vomiting or streaming colds (that all tested negative for covid) must have been imaginary! Seriously there are so many bugs going around right now it’s lurgy season.
Please
or

ThinWomansBrain · 28/11/2021 23:04

Unprofessional of him not to discuss in private
But surely sick leave is for when you are ill, not your child? Shouldn't thay be unpaid parental leave?
I had covid at the start of the year - not 100% sure if long covid or covid related, but I've had several health issues since that I think may be related - or might be just that post covid my immune system is impaired.

Please
or

Jenasaurus · 28/11/2021 23:12

I don't think 4 days is a lot, I haven't had to take sick leave but that's because I work from home, If in the office I would have had to take 2 days of for a stomach bug that meant I was in the loo every hour and could be infectious to others plus I also had a tooth abscess and ended up on very strong pain killers that I had a reaction to.

A colleague who had a non malignant brain tumour takes at least a day off every 6 weeks with headaches when the meds don't work or he is struggling, and another colleague of mine has lupus and has more than 4 days a year she is unable to attend the office.

Your boss was out of order addressing you in front of your colleagues especially as it is private information and will start your co worker's speculating about your health.

Please
or

Psuedoshoes · 28/11/2021 23:28

@Bluntness100

To be honest I imagine if your absence record is bad enough they need to talk to you about it’s your colleagues will already know. They will have spotted you’re not there.

Oh come on. What a ridiculous post, you can't be serious? Managers absolutely cannot bring shit like this up in front of others, regardless of the levels of absence Hmm
Please
or

BonesInTheOcean · 28/11/2021 23:29

[quote Neverfightamanwithaperm]@CristinaYangismySpiritAnimal Different days so Bradford Factor bingo! Two were my illness, two were my son's.[/quote]
Did you take sick for your dc?

Please
or

Mamanyt · 28/11/2021 23:29

My rule of thumb is, and always has been, "Chastise in private, compliment in public." With spouses, children, and those I supervise. It gets better results, all around.

Please
or

HollaHolla · 28/11/2021 23:33

[quote Neverfightamanwithaperm]@CristinaYangismySpiritAnimal Different days so Bradford Factor bingo! Two were my illness, two were my son's.[/quote]
Your son’s illness is not sick days. You can only take sick days if they’re yours.
Your son’s illness should be annual leave, or family leave - so shouldn’t count.

Please
or

Jenasaurus · 28/11/2021 23:45

to be fair to the Op in the opening decription she calls it absence and not sick leave to taking time off for her son is still considered an absence

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman · 29/11/2021 00:08

@Bluntness100

It doesn’t matter whether her colleagues have noticed or not. There could be several perfectly valid reasons for the absences; none of which the OP’s colleagues need to know about. Pulling her up publicly is completely unnecessary and unprofessional.

I have a colleague who I think is lazy, workshy and generally useless. If my manager thinks the same, should she say so in the middle of the office on the basis that I already know? Or should she approach my colleague privately and ask to discuss the issues?
Please
or

Factoryfloor · 29/11/2021 00:17

I bet your workmates have been giving their boss a hard time about covering your work when you’re away and their telling you in front of them is a way to get them off heir back

Please
or

Merryoldgoat · 29/11/2021 01:07

I knew the professionally ‘well’ would appear - the crew that think sickness is some kind of character flaw.

I thank fuck I don’t work with people like you.

And I’ve only had 1 sick day for a migraine.

But I got bronchitis during my week off and had it been a week earlier then I’d have been off for a lot longer.

I also have two children so got different bugs at the start of last week and swapped so I’ve been up to my fucking knees in vomit and snot for a week and working my arse off to meet deadlines.

All you ‘I’ve only ever been sick once’ twits feeling proud of your good luck is pathetic.

Please
or

SpinachIsAGatewayDrug · 29/11/2021 01:36

TBF I think at least one of the 'professionally well' on this thread are not posting entirely seriously GrinGrin

Please
or

StrongerOrWeaker · 29/11/2021 01:48

Couldn't get worked about this.

Please
or

Weatherwax13 · 29/11/2021 01:51

I've just been on an unrelated thread where a poster stated in the face of all evidence to the contrary that "ordinary people can and do" have access to thousands of pounds.
And then there's this announcement that "there are literally zero bugs around" Why is it beyond the ken of some MN that other people are simultaneously having a different experience of life to their own? So odd

Please
or

Dastardlythefriendlymutt · 29/11/2021 02:02

[quote LifeIsBusy]@workshy44 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. My delightful toddler has brought one a new bug every week since the start of october. Multiple sickness bugs, colds, you name it he's had endured it (except covid)...then a few days later my youngest gets to endure it. If I were on maternity leave I honestly do not know how many sick days we would have needed as a family to get through it.

Still haven't tested positive for covid [/quote]
This! My toddler has just brought home another bug this week. We are averaging 1 every fortnight if lucky at the moment. I am lucky I can WFH as tomorrow I can't go in for most of the week as he has a fever and needs a PCR test before he can go back.

Luckily all my meetings tomorrow with colleagues who both had their DC ill last week and the previous week - so they will hopefully understand if they hear him in the background. It is non-stop. My parents are convinced I am not taking care of DS well because of all the bugs. I've had 3 days off sick in the first 5 months of a new job. Honestly if it is a bone of contention for life happening then just fire me - I can't be arsed trying to convince anyone otherwise.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.