Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Stella Creasy

StarryNightSparkles · 23/11/2021 22:29

Just had a little look on Twitter and seen Stella Creasy is having a rant as she can't take her 3m old into work with her.

This has pissed me right off. How many parents in the UK have child care problems.

Her argument is based on Mat leave which to me is a completely different fight.

Am I being unreasonable to be pissed off by this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 11:55

[quote madisonbridges]@daimbarsatemydogsbone
I think you are misrepresenting her.
I just read her interview in the Guardian and I'm pretty sure this is what she said but if I've misspoken I'll happily apologise if you'll point it out to me.[/quote]
She could come back at six months, put the child in the nursery and get on with her work just like mothers do every day.

I haven't seen anything that says she won't actually do this - certainly not in the Guardian articles - indeed in the radio interview yesterday she said she would do it when the baby is old enough (although she didn't specify how old).

Please
or

Franca123 · 24/11/2021 11:55

It's ridiculous and does mother's in the workplace a disservice. How can you do a day's work and care for a 3 month old? She needs to organise child care like the rest of us. Being an MP currently isn't a normal job with perks like mat leave. If she wants to change that, that's a different battle and one a may support if I saw all the arguments. Ludicrous.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 13:59

@daimbarsatemydogsbone. You've read the article so there's no point quoting it. She was offered £60,000pr, the same as last time, when a locum worked well. This time she thought it unfair that a locum would be paid less than an MP. She wanted £82,000pr. IPSA refused to increase the amount. She hasn't employed a locum. Therefore she's not taking the offer of £60,000 but she would take 82,000. She hasn't used the word refused but she hasn't done it so what else would you call it?

After our meal I offer my child an apple. They ask for cake. I say they can only have an apple. They walk away from the table empty handed. That's a refusal, isn't it?

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 14:04

@Russianmax

I think MPs get maternity pay. The issue is there is no one and no money to pay for someone to cover their work whilst they are off on maternity leave.

Is that right?

She has been offered £35,000 to employ a locum to cover 7 months maternity leave. She thinks her locum should get more - the same amount as MPs. But because a locum can't do the full work of an MP, eg, go into the HoC, IPSA won't pay the full equivalence of an MPs wage, only partial.
Please
or

Franca123 · 24/11/2021 14:07

So there is a decent system in place to support her whilst her baby is very young. Sounds like she's just shit stirring then doesn't it.

Please
or

Musmerian · 24/11/2021 14:08

I find it enormously depressing that women can be so unsupportive about this. It’s absolutely not just about her but about a patriarchal and outdated parliamentary system that allows all sorts of appalling behaviour and then sends passive aggressive letters to female MPs.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/11/2021 14:09

@Franca123

So there is a decent system in place to support her whilst her baby is very young. Sounds like she's just shit stirring then doesn't it.

Is she shit stirring if she doesn't think the system is decent enough?

I think the NHS is a decent system but lots of people think it needs a complete overhaul.
Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 14:12

Sorry, @daimbarsatemydogsbone, I think I misunderstood what you meant, so my reply probably didn't answer your question.

She could come back at six months, put the child in the nursery and get on with her work just like mothers do every day.

She hasn't gone on maternity leave, or at least she's back at 3 months and is complaining that she should be allowed to take the baby into the chamber because he's too young to be left. I was saying if she has problems looking after the,baby, she should take more maternity leave and come back at 6 months when the baby can be left. I haven't misrepresented her, just referred to what she's already doing.

Please
or

MandalaYogaTapestry · 24/11/2021 14:14

Am I missing something? She is a working mother. And surely, she can do what other working mothers do - get a childcare for her baby for when she needs to be at work?

Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 14:17

@Musmerian

I find it enormously depressing that women can be so unsupportive about this. It’s absolutely not just about her but about a patriarchal and outdated parliamentary system that allows all sorts of appalling behaviour and then sends passive aggressive letters to female MPs.

I agree.
Please
or

DGRossetti · 24/11/2021 14:19

I find it enormously depressing that women can be so unsupportive about this

How else can men stay in charge ?

It's not just misogynists. It's the women that enable them (ducks ....)

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 14:21

@Musmerian

It's neither appalling behaviour nor patriarchal for a workplace to enforce places where children cannot go. They provide maternity leave or a nursery on site that operates from 8am into the evening. That doesn't sound outdated to me. The letter she received was not flowery but it wasn't passive aggressive either.
Please
or

Chloemol · 24/11/2021 15:15

She is wrong. Whilst she couldn’t hire a locus mo this time she was offered funding to employ someone else to cover either her or a member of her staff who could step up

Yes ok mat leave needs sorting, but all she has done is piss off the millions who earn far less than her but have to pay childcare

There is a crèche/nursery she can use

Please
or

Marianne1234 · 24/11/2021 16:09

Juts because she is a women fighting a cause doesn’t mean we have to agree with her.

Please
or

Dishwashersaurous · 24/11/2021 17:34

It wasn't about the pay for a locum but that the locum can't legally do all.the bits of the job, including voting in the chamber as the law says only the MP can do that.

So the situation is the same.

1. She can not get maternity cover to do a vital part of her job.

2. Therefore she has to do that vital part of the job.

3. In order to do that she needs to physically bring the tiny breastfeeding baby with her to do it.

The actual issue is that there is no mechanism to allow part of the job, in many ways the key part, without it being the physical presence of the MP.

That's why for key debates people have been brought in on the back of ambulances too ill to Stan in order to vote.

During COvid there was a facility to speak and vote remotely.

All that is required is to maintain that facility MPs who needed it, whether on sick leave, family leave or any other reason.
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 17:37

@Dishwashersaurous

It wasn't about the pay for a locum but that the locum can't legally do all.the bits of the job, including voting in the chamber as the law says only the MP can do that.

So the situation is the same.

1. She can not get maternity cover to do a vital part of her job.

2. Therefore she has to do that vital part of the job.

3. In order to do that she needs to physically bring the tiny breastfeeding baby with her to do it.

The actual issue is that there is no mechanism to allow part of the job, in many ways the key part, without it being the physical presence of the MP.

That's why for key debates people have been brought in on the back of ambulances too ill to Stan in order to vote.

During COvid there was a facility to speak and vote remotely.

All that is required is to maintain that facility MPs who needed it, whether on sick leave, family leave or any other reason.

^ This is the correct version
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 17:38

@DGRossetti

I find it enormously depressing that women can be so unsupportive about this

How else can men stay in charge ?

It's not just misogynists. It's the women that enable them (ducks ....)

I agree - and I am a man.
Please
or

NeverForgetYourDreams · 24/11/2021 18:03

Hang on, there is a commons nursery? Why can't the child go in there for the minimal time she's in the chamber ? I had to use a nursery from 3 months so why is she so special that she can't...?

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/11/2021 18:05

@NeverForgetYourDreams

Hang on, there is a commons nursery? Why can't the child go in there for the minimal time she's in the chamber ? I had to use a nursery from 3 months so why is she so special that she can't...?

She feels that the baby's too young to be left and is still breastfed.

She's taken the baby into the chamber before.
Please
or

Lottapianos · 24/11/2021 18:08

'She feels that the baby's too young to be left and is still breastfed.'

Fair enough, and I know she is making a point, but I would be fuming if a colleague brought their child to work. Bringing babies into the chamber, or anywhere else in the workplace, is really not on

Please
or

NeverForgetYourDreams · 24/11/2021 18:09

A lot of working mums don't get that chance tho. We had to use a nursery at 3 months to get back to work (self employed). She's hardly putting the child in for 9 hours. Surely only a few and she can nip out to breastfeed I assume. Something most working mothers with an off site nursery can't do.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/11/2021 18:09

@Lottapianos but if she doesn't then there's nobody in the commons representing her constituents because a locum wouldn't have been allowed into the chamber either

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/11/2021 18:11

@NeverForgetYourDreams but isn't that the point? That all women should have that choice? That you shouldn't be forced to leave your child as a tiny baby?

Please
or

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 24/11/2021 18:20

I'm not sure about this.

Surely she knew what the maternity situation with MPs was when she decided to stand for an MP?

She should arrange childcare like the rest of us.

Please
or

Jobsharenightmare · 24/11/2021 18:21

She's trying to do best by her constituents and her baby. As if she is loving life right now.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.