Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Stella Creasy

StarryNightSparkles · 23/11/2021 22:29

Just had a little look on Twitter and seen Stella Creasy is having a rant as she can't take her 3m old into work with her.

This has pissed me right off. How many parents in the UK have child care problems.

Her argument is based on Mat leave which to me is a completely different fight.

Am I being unreasonable to be pissed off by this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

MotherOfCrocodiles · 24/11/2021 09:44

I normally think she's brilliant but don't get this. I think a baby in the workplace can be distracting, I don't think it's appropriate in this case. Can be fine in a small informal meeting that can be paused if the baby kicks off (especially on zoom where you can just mute yourself) but not in a large formal setting.

I say this as someone who has worked part time through three mat leaves for similar reasons to Stella - small/ informal meeting, bringing baby is fine; large/formal situation --> DH or childcare.

If she's really making a point about not being allowed maternity leave, that makes a lot more sense.

Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 09:47

I heard Stella Creasy on the radio this morning. She seems entirely reasonable to me. People talking upthread about surgeons or judges are just being daft - she is neither of those so it's irrelevant. The fact is that if she was employed, she'd be at home on mat leave and her employer would have engaged some kind of cover for her work.
She made the point that she has a long list of tasks for which she is being told that only she as the sitting MP is allowed to attend - so parliament either needs to allow a substitute or let her bring the baby. As she said, it's a short term issue while the baby is very young and being breastfed.

Please
or

poshme · 24/11/2021 09:48

MPs can take as long as they like for maternity leave- on full pay the entire time.

They can get a proxy vote in the House of Commons.

There is an on-site nursery that stays open till1030pm in the nights the House votes late.

She can get extra expenses to cover the extra constituency work.

Self employed people know their maternity leave will not be the same as for employed people. That's a choice you make when you chose to be SE. MPs are not employed. They're office holders. So, just like SE people, they do lot get the same employment rights as employed people. She knew this when she ran for election.

MPs don't have contracts, or set holidays, or sick pay or many other employment rights.

No sympathy for her here. She should either stay at home with her baby, or put it in nursery or get a nanny or the father should look after it. She is in a massively privileged position to have more options than most people.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 09:50

I wouldn't want to be sat next to a baby pooping away. Can there just not be some baby-free zones? Shes entitled to 6 months maternity leave. Why doesn't she take it?

Please
or

Sciurus83 · 24/11/2021 09:51

Christ imagine thinking Stella Creasy is the problem in this situation. The mind boggles.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/11/2021 09:57

@madisonbridges

I wouldn't want to be sat next to a baby pooping away. Can there just not be some baby-free zones? Shes entitled to 6 months maternity leave. Why doesn't she take it?

I would rather sit next to a pooping baby than Priti Patel.
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 09:58

@Sciurus83

Christ imagine thinking Stella Creasy is the problem in this situation. The mind boggles.

This is why it's so hard to get any social progress in the UK - so many backwards thinkers and race to the bottomers.
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 10:00

@madisonbridges

What is it about babies you fins so offensive?

She has explained that she's been told she has to be there in person for a range of things - she can get a proxy vote but voting is far from all MPs (at least the ones who do the job properly like her) have to do.
Please
or

RedDeadRoach · 24/11/2021 10:03

I don't think MP with a four year job term is a suitable choice of employment for someone planning to have a baby.

Women, stay at home. We don't want you in politics in case you have a baby.

Please
or

RedDeadRoach · 24/11/2021 10:05

Isn't she doing exactly what MPs are supposed to do? Asking the big questions, making waves, trying to raise awareness of issues that affect her constituents - such as workplace discrimination?

It's 2021, and we still have people saying a woman can't do a certain job because she also has a child. Fuck that. How about society changes so it's not only set up for the needs of rich white men?

Please
or

RedDeadRoach · 24/11/2021 10:08

No sympathy for her here. She should either stay at home with her baby, or put it in nursery or get a nanny or the father should look after it. She is in a massively privileged position to have more options than most people.

She's making a point about workplace discrimination. Or do you think that women being discriminated against because they've got a child isn't important enough to raise awareness of? She doesnt need your sympathy. She's got your attention though, so i guess what she's done has worked.

Please
or

HarrietsChariot · 24/11/2021 10:08

She's in the wrong. Both caring for a child and sitting in the House of Commons requires your undivided attention. You can't devote yourself 100% to both at the same time.

Being an MP is rightly one of the few jobs where there should be no maternity rights. You should devote yourself entirely to your job as an MP. We criticise Tories for having second jobs that distract them from their parliamentary work, well looking after a child is a pretty intense job too.

Please
or

poshme · 24/11/2021 10:13

@RedDeadRoach

She's making a point about workplace discrimination. Or do you think that women being discriminated against because they've got a child isn't important enough to raise awareness of? She doesnt need your sympathy. She's got your attention though, so i guess what she's done has worked.

Plenty of MPs have children. They also
Sort out childcare for their children.

Now if a man was allowed to bring in their baby, and she wasn't then yes - discrimination. But it's the same rule for everybody.

She can vote by proxy. She can stay at home on full pay for as long as she likes. She has a workplace nursery open until 1030pm
Please
or

LemonTT · 24/11/2021 10:14

@Porridgeislife

Wait a minute, top 4 politicians are: an Asian man, an Asian woman, a white woman and a white man. And only one of those is in their 50s.

Yes, that completely represents the diversity of the Tory party.

76% male
24% female
6% BAME

You need to review your stats

It’s 50% BAME. Excluding Boris’s Turkish heritage.

50% female.
Please
or

poshme · 24/11/2021 10:15

And she is not supported in this by all other female MPs with kids/who are pregnant.

That's because they know that if MPs are brought in line with the rest of us in terms of maternity rights, that their pay would be reduced whilst on maternity leave.

Please
or

Porridgeislife · 24/11/2021 10:16

No I don’t. The Tory party themselves kindly provided them.

www.conservatives.com/parliamentary-diversity-data

Please
or

3peassuit · 24/11/2021 10:18

There is a House of Commons nursery. Most working mothers would be delighted if their employer offered that facility.

Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 10:18

@HarrietsChariot

She's in the wrong. Both caring for a child and sitting in the House of Commons requires your undivided attention. You can't devote yourself 100% to both at the same time.

Being an MP is rightly one of the few jobs where there should be no maternity rights. You should devote yourself entirely to your job as an MP. We criticise Tories for having second jobs that distract them from their parliamentary work, well looking after a child is a pretty intense job too.

I cannot believe I reading this - as if Sir Bufton Fucking Tufton's 100K "consultancy" has any equivalence to a couple of months breastfeeding a baby
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 10:19

@3peassuit

There is a House of Commons nursery. Most working mothers would be delighted if their employer offered that facility.

and her child will go there when old enough - he is very young and still being breastfed.
Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:22

I am one of her constituents, it's shocking to be honest.

She has not been denied maternity leave - she has been denied like-for-like maternity cover, she has refused to take leave and use the proxy vote.

The vast majority of women in the UK do not get like-for-like maternity cover - so why is Stella - who proclaims she is an advocate of women's rights only fighting for this to be legislated for MPs? If Stella wants to argue the points about maternity cover, I am more than happy for her to do so - but it has to be wider than just MPs. How can she possibly stand up for maternity rights and women's rights if she's on a totally different page to all those women she claims to be speaking up for?

She is not making a point about discrimination - if she was making points about discrimination these points would be being made for all parents, not just MPs.

Between this and pramonbusgate and wcliftgate (granted this has affected people with disabilities too) she has unfortunately managed to piss off a lot of local people - there are huge issues going on in our Borough - GP access, a hospital with an ED department with a very serious staff shortage at the consultant level, inadequate social housing, ambulance delays (oh wait, she's going to feedback to LAS on the last one) - all things that MPs need to be raising yet she's spending hours shitting on a TFL bus driver who said she couldn't get on a bus as there were already two prams on there.

From a person who was told if I took more than six weeks maternity leave I wouldn't have a job to come back to - and no there was no option for me to take a baby to work either, and no I did not get any maternity cover. In fact I don't know a single woman who has been told she can have like for like cover whilst on leave, any leave, but definitely not maternity leave

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:23

@daimbarsatemydogsbone Yet all the other women who work in Westminster, who are not MPs, and who don't get like-for-like cover and who need to go back to work earlier than they would like - they use the nursery, they breastfeed with flexibility - they just have to suck it up hey?

Because they are not MPs?

We are talking about the Lawyers, the Scientists, the Advisors here - you think Stella does all that work on her own? Don't be ridiculous.

Please
or

ElftonWednesday · 24/11/2021 10:24

I'm glad she is being arsey and making people think. Standing up for what they think is right is what MPs are supposed to do.

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:26

@ElftonWednesday but she's only standing up for MPs - not the rest of the country...

So she feels it is only right that MPs get these benefits... knowing full well, because it's been raised with her on numerous occasions, that the majority of women are not entitled to like-for-like cover.

Please
or

poshme · 24/11/2021 10:26

@Wolfrie wish I could like your posts.

Please
or

Lottapianos · 24/11/2021 10:27

'I don't see the issue with a quiet baby being with its mother in the HOC when it's less than a certain number of months old.'

Babies are quiet - until they're not! It's absolutely inappropriate to bring a baby or child into any workplace. I thought the same when Jacinda Ardern brought her baby into the chamber at the UN to show her off I know that SC is doing it to make a point, but bringing babies to work is not the solution

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.