Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Stella Creasy

StarryNightSparkles · 23/11/2021 22:29

Just had a little look on Twitter and seen Stella Creasy is having a rant as she can't take her 3m old into work with her.

This has pissed me right off. How many parents in the UK have child care problems.

Her argument is based on Mat leave which to me is a completely different fight.

Am I being unreasonable to be pissed off by this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

IWishToAnswerInTheAffirmative · 24/11/2021 10:37

I can’t really get excited about the rights of MPs. They’re well looked-after.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 10:38

She was offered £35000 to cover the 7 months that she was going to be off which amounted to £60,000pa. She didn't think that was enough and asked for a pro rata of £83,000 which is an mps wage. However because the locum wouldn't do the full duties of an MP because they couldn't go into the chamber, that was refused. She turned diwn the £60,000 as being unfair. So she is working in the constituency herself even though she was being provided with the money to pay someone else to do it. It has the whiff of martyrdom.
She doesn't need to attend day to day debates. If she needed to vote, she could organise a pairing system with an opposite number. She could come back at six months, put the child in the nursery and get on with her work just like mothers do every day.
She's doing this to make a point against babies not to be taken into the debating chamber, not because she's hard done by.

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:41

@poshme Ha, you are definitely in the minority!

Please
or

saltandherbsandnothingnice · 24/11/2021 10:42

You are being unreasonable OP. Imagine getting pissed off because a mum is fighting for her rights to keep doing her job. This is a key feminist fight. Have another think?

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:45

@saltandherbsandnothingnice No - she's not - she's fighting to take her kid to work - if that was a feminist fight then it would be that all women should be able to take their kids to work.

Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 10:46

[quote Wolfrie]@ElftonWednesday but she's only standing up for MPs - not the rest of the country...

So she feels it is only right that MPs get these benefits... knowing full well, because it's been raised with her on numerous occasions, that the majority of women are not entitled to like-for-like cover.[/quote]
I think she is making a point about MPs because she is an MP.
Being an MP isn't really like other "jobs" so I am not sure why everyone's making those comparisons.

Please
or

Sirzy · 24/11/2021 10:47

But the nursery is onsite.

It takes children from 3 months old.

It is open until 10.30pm some nights.

For a lot of working parents that would be beyond perfect so I’m not sure what point she is trying to raise.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 10:47

@saltandherbsandnothingnice

You are being unreasonable OP. Imagine getting pissed off because a mum is fighting for her rights to keep doing her job. This is a key feminist fight. Have another think?

She has the right to go back to work fully and she has a right to take fully paid maternity leave with a locum to cover her work. She can choose.
She can take her baby to work. She just can't take the baby into the debating chamber. She has a lot more rights than the vast, vast majority of working mothers.
Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 24/11/2021 10:48

@madisonbridges

She was offered £35000 to cover the 7 months that she was going to be off which amounted to £60,000pa. She didn't think that was enough and asked for a pro rata of £83,000 which is an mps wage. However because the locum wouldn't do the full duties of an MP because they couldn't go into the chamber, that was refused. She turned diwn the £60,000 as being unfair. So she is working in the constituency herself even though she was being provided with the money to pay someone else to do it. It has the whiff of martyrdom.
She doesn't need to attend day to day debates. If she needed to vote, she could organise a pairing system with an opposite number. She could come back at six months, put the child in the nursery and get on with her work just like mothers do every day.
She's doing this to make a point against babies not to be taken into the debating chamber, not because she's hard done by.

I think you are misrepresenting her.
Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 10:49

Being an MP isn't really like other "jobs" so I am not sure why everyone's making those comparisons.

Actually - there are many other jobs where you are raising concerns on behalf of those you are supporting - including the huge list of advisors to the Government I listed above.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/11/2021 10:55

@daimbarsatemydogsbone
I think you are misrepresenting her.
I just read her interview in the Guardian and I'm pretty sure this is what she said but if I've misspoken I'll happily apologise if you'll point it out to me.

Please
or

Russianmax · 24/11/2021 10:56

@Wolfrie

I am one of her constituents, it's shocking to be honest.

She has not been denied maternity leave - she has been denied like-for-like maternity cover, she has refused to take leave and use the proxy vote.

The vast majority of women in the UK do not get like-for-like maternity cover - so why is Stella - who proclaims she is an advocate of women's rights only fighting for this to be legislated for MPs? If Stella wants to argue the points about maternity cover, I am more than happy for her to do so - but it has to be wider than just MPs. How can she possibly stand up for maternity rights and women's rights if she's on a totally different page to all those women she claims to be speaking up for?

She is not making a point about discrimination - if she was making points about discrimination these points would be being made for all parents, not just MPs.

Between this and pramonbusgate and wcliftgate (granted this has affected people with disabilities too) she has unfortunately managed to piss off a lot of local people - there are huge issues going on in our Borough - GP access, a hospital with an ED department with a very serious staff shortage at the consultant level, inadequate social housing, ambulance delays (oh wait, she's going to feedback to LAS on the last one) - all things that MPs need to be raising yet she's spending hours shitting on a TFL bus driver who said she couldn't get on a bus as there were already two prams on there.

From a person who was told if I took more than six weeks maternity leave I wouldn't have a job to come back to - and no there was no option for me to take a baby to work either, and no I did not get any maternity cover. In fact I don't know a single woman who has been told she can have like for like cover whilst on leave, any leave, but definitely not maternity leave

I’m also one of Stella’s constituents. I don’t know what I feel about this tbh

But Stella does seem to stick to issues that affect her. Since having children her focus has been on things like the toy library being closed and the buggy bus incident mentioned. She’s fighting battles other women have been a long time getting on with.

I just think these issues are a part of the shit we deal with. Life is full of a lot of shit. I’m trying to say this is on a par with all the other difficulties that make life a struggle sometimes. We can’t iron them all out. They’re just part of life.

I wish she’d look at the bigger picture and fight bigger battles. Taking her baby into the chamber encourages her to think small and be a less effective MP, I think.
Please
or

Porridgeislife · 24/11/2021 10:58

But Stella does seem to stick to issues that affect her. Since having children her focus has been on things like the toy library being closed and the buggy bus incident mentioned. She’s fighting battles other women have been a long time getting on with.

Isn’t that a good thing though? Men have spent millennia arranging the world to suit them. Why shouldn’t womens’ lives be made easier? Why should we just put up and shut up?

Please
or

GhoulWithADragonTattoo · 24/11/2021 11:01

There is an excellent nursery at Parliament. My friend’s DD (not an MP) went there and spoke very highly of it. It even has evening sessions too. I’m sure you could go and breast feed the baby too. Or have a nanny who based parliamentary office. Babies in Parliament would be too distracting.

www.parliament.uk/about/working/nursery/

Please
or

Russianmax · 24/11/2021 11:02

Isn’t that a good thing though? Men have spent millennia arranging the world to suit them. Why shouldn’t womens’ lives be made easier? Why should we just put up and shut up?

Yes maybe it’s a good thing. I don’t know. Toy libraries do close though. It’s a small fairly rubbish playgroup. The actual book library that was demolished- she did nothing about.

There are big issues to deal with in this borough and because Stella puts so much time and energy into baby things now, it feels as though the rest gets forgotten.

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 11:06

She’s fighting battles other women have been a long time getting on with.

This exactly - and we use the toy library, a lot - their fight is not over from what I understand - it's now only in temporary accomodation. It's a real shame that they are going to have to go through the uncertainty and expense of moving again as it's an amazing resource both for children and for parents, but also from the environmental aspect.

@Porridgeislife it's not women's lives being made easier - it's women who are MPs lives being made easier.

Stella has done some excellent work in the past, there is no denying that, but it feels like now the work is focused on what effects her/MPs, and as the poster above said, things that women have dealt with and been fine, and are really a bit of a non issue (prams on busses for instance; honestly Stella put hours into defending that tweet, hours that could have been used much more wisely on bigger issues).

Please
or

Russianmax · 24/11/2021 11:07

[quote GhoulWithADragonTattoo]There is an excellent nursery at Parliament. My friend’s DD (not an MP) went there and spoke very highly of it. It even has evening sessions too. I’m sure you could go and breast feed the baby too. Or have a nanny who based parliamentary office. Babies in Parliament would be too distracting.

www.parliament.uk/about/working/nursery/[/quote]
This wouldn’t be my choice but that’s why I gave up work to look after my kids in the early years.

I didn’t want to use nurseries. I wanted to be there full time for my kids. But I would not have had any head space for my job had I been allowed to take them to work.

Being a woman sucks in that respect. My career has been derailed. But we all make choices in life. Some of us don’t have that luxury. I think Stella does.

Please
or

LittleGwyneth · 24/11/2021 11:07

@StarryNightSparkles

Thanks Both and I definitely agree as times need to change. I think for me personally it's the way she has worded it to he all about her.

For example I worked as a NHS nurse on the bank due to the NHS not fitting with child care. On the bank I got no mat leave entitlement.

Stella's issue isn't just a Parliament thing or something unique to her situation.

It's 2021 and child care in the UK is still shocking. Which I find incredibly sad.

It is absolutely unique to her situation. It's one of the only jobs where as a full time employee you're not entitled to maternity leave.
Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 11:09

It's one of the only jobs where as a full time employee you're not entitled to maternity leave.

Hmmm - where are you reading this? MPs are entitled to maternity leave.

Please
or

WTF475878237NC · 24/11/2021 11:27

Thank you for your email. I appreciate you seeking to get in touch, and please note I am on an extended period of absence for maternity reasons. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority has chosen not to provide funding for appropriate maternity cover and so at present there is no one else acting as my substitute. This means there may be some delay in securing a response to your message. If you wish to raise concerns about this decision you can contact them on [email protected] You can also sign the petition for such cover here.

from Stella's emails. Some of these responses make me think it's amazing we have the vote in so many countries around the world.

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 11:30

@WTF475878237NC One funding was offered, and declined by Stella (see posts above), two if Stella is so pressed and there is a delay - why did she spend hours arguing over the two prams on a bus health and safety issue...? I mean, c'mon - is that really an important issue at the moment giving everything else going on?

Please
or

DGRossetti · 24/11/2021 11:33

Surely being off due to Maternity leave is no different to being off due to making shed loads in the BVI '?

We've already learned that an MPs "job" isn't actually contractually enforced or enforceable anyway.

Please
or

Russianmax · 24/11/2021 11:34

I think MPs get maternity pay. The issue is there is no one and no money to pay for someone to cover their work whilst they are off on maternity leave.

Is that right?

Please
or

poshme · 24/11/2021 11:42

@Russianmax yes they get full pay for as long as they choose to take off work.

Please
or

Wolfrie · 24/11/2021 11:43

@Russianmax This article explains it quite well -

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/29/stella-creasy-threatens-legal-action-over-lack-of-maternity-cover-for-mps

The issue people are having is that when she's pushing all this through parliament - it's only for MPs, yet many thousands of women are in exactly the same position - many don't actually get any like-for-like cover at all.

And there's been a lot of random stuff she's fighting for rather than the larger issues across the borough, like not being allowed to board a bus because there were two prams onboard and she had one of her kids in a pram... Totally normal TFL policy that's been around for yonks.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.