My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To leave 3yo in park whilst going to the loo?

737 replies

DoormatBob · 11/09/2021 21:55

Not sure if this is an AIBU or more WWYD but was at a rural touristy attraction. When we arrived both DD (3, nearly 4) and me needed the loo. DD went then refused to wait for me and ran out to the play area (toilets were within the play area but not staffed/ticketed).

I told her to wait but she said no and was off, told me she was going on the slides as she legged it away! We've been there before so she knows where she's going.

I had to go to the loo and therefore she played in the park for 2 minutes unsupervised.

AIBU
YES - i should have got her back and made her stay with me.
NO - she is OK for 2 mins, she knows where I am.

What would others do? She is very independent and confident but it's just the safety aspect.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

4890 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
93%
You are NOT being unreasonable
7%
GetMeOut22 · 11/09/2021 22:20

YABU. Pretty shocking to read tbh.

RubertRoo · 11/09/2021 22:20

No I wouldn't at all. My DD is the same age and fiercely independent but I would not let her do that. When we go to the toilet- always use the same cubicle, she goes first then gets bored waiting for me and wants to unlock the door and tries to tell me she'll wait outside which of course I dont let her.
So the new trick I have found is once shes finished - move her away from the toilet, let her pull up trousers etc... whilst I'm using the toilet to buy myself a bit more time then by the time she's got herself ready we are both ready to leave the cubicle at the same time.
But if she tries to open the lock before I am ready then I would take her straight home. Even if we've just arrived somewhere.

1FootInTheRave · 11/09/2021 22:20

Parent your child ffs.

Missreginafalange · 11/09/2021 22:21

@FOJN

I told her to wait but she said no and was off, told me she was going on the slides as she legged it away!

"She told you"? I think the wrong person is in charge.

There is no way I'd leave a child of that age unsupervised in a play area, there are just too many possibilities for disaster.

This!
No way would I let a 3 year old a)tell me they were doing it and b)allowing them to go.
Serenschintte · 11/09/2021 22:21
  1. She didn’t do as she was told in a situation where you had asked her to do something. Then she defied you by running off.
  2. It’s not safe for 3 year olds to be in a park alone. They have little if any perception of risk and someone could snatch her.

What if she hadn’t ran to the park.
Personally if this is happening id be purchasing some reins for her and she would be wearing them when going out.
Lesina · 11/09/2021 22:21

No. No.No. Just no. You never ever ever leave a 3 year old unattended. Regardless of the situation. No

Youdoyoutoday · 11/09/2021 22:22

I wouldn't do that but do empathise as when I need a wee, I need to go quick.

trappistkepler · 11/09/2021 22:22

Sorry didn't mean that to sound so harsh, I realise you have asked the question, so it must not sit right with you. Your instinct is telling you no, the alternative is a tantrum. Sort that out.

Rainbowsandstorms · 11/09/2021 22:22

No way on earth. I wouldn’t do this with my very sensible six year old. Anything could happen with an unsupervised three year old.

Dixiechickonhols · 11/09/2021 22:23

No it’s unsafe for a 3 year old to be unsupervised. A 3 year old shouldn’t be saying no to you and running off.

ChocolateRiver · 11/09/2021 22:23

My dd is older than yours and I still take her into the cubicle with me. She’s very well behaved so wouldn’t run off, but I know she’s safe this way. Anything could have happened to your dd. Their is absolutely no way I would have let her go. Plus if she’d run off on me she would have been severely told off and we would 100% be going straight home. That is dangerous behaviour and she needs to learn not to run off.

Terminallysleepdeprived · 11/09/2021 22:23

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

SaturdaySpread · 11/09/2021 22:23

No I wouldn't have done that and we'd have been going straight home if she'd done that to me.

3scape · 11/09/2021 22:23

3 is too young. Anywhere up from school age would be then down to the awareness of risk from the child (fairly low chance of being good before 7).
Get the children to stick their foot under the cubicle from the outside to save space in the smaller cubicles. I think my children weŕe about 5 when I started that. I'd pretend to forget what shoes they had on or ask if they could do a dance.

Doggiedementia · 11/09/2021 22:23

I’d have taken her into the cubicle with me and she would not have been allowed to leave the cubicle. And if she had run out I’d have taken her straight home for being disobedient and running away from me.

Cocomarine · 11/09/2021 22:23

Are you fucking joking?

It’s not even about her getting hurt, or “a paedo” on every corner.

It’s about letting a 3yo (3!) walk all over you.

She doesn’t get to run off. You go after her, manhandle her into the toilet, take your piss, then - if she isn’t behaving still - you take her home.

Parent your child!

Wakeupin2022 · 11/09/2021 22:23

Don't people always take small children into cubicles with them in public places? Me and my friends certainly do

Yes, my biggest concern ar that age is that the wee shit would open the door whilst i'm peeing not that they would run out to the park.

DoormatBob · 11/09/2021 22:24

That's unanimous!

She was in the cubicle with me but she went first then opened the door and went out, I followed but had to go back, I can't really hold to be honest.

Asking as I hated it and knew it wasn't right but unsure how bad it was.

I wasn't concerned she would be anywhere other than where she said, she would not have left the play area. The concerns are general safety (hurting herself) or the more sinister.

OP posts:
Fetchthevet · 11/09/2021 22:24

FFS. What were you thinking?

BanditoShipman · 11/09/2021 22:24

That is really rubbish parenting op. She should have been in the same cubicle as you. If she ran off you should have run after her and brought her back!!

MirandaWest · 11/09/2021 22:24

Was she in the same cubicle as you to start with and then you let her out? If you were both in separate cubicles then why didn’t you go to the toilet at the same time?

Peanutbuttercupisyum · 11/09/2021 22:24

I’m fairly relaxed but that’s ridiculous!!!!no way!

NatriumChloride · 11/09/2021 22:24

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BanditoShipman · 11/09/2021 22:25

@Wakeupin2022

Don't people always take small children into cubicles with them in public places? Me and my friends certainly do

Yes, my biggest concern ar that age is that the wee shit would open the door whilst i'm peeing not that they would run out to the park.

Mine tried that several times 🤣🤣
PumpkinKlNG · 11/09/2021 22:25

I would have rather wet myself than leave my toddler unattended tbh!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.