Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThePlantsitter · 16/12/2020 17:53

I don't know what you can do OP but I just wanted to say I completely agree with you and understand why you don't like it. Even if they were the most trustworthy people alive and you liked them you wouldn't necessarily give them details of your comings and goings throughout the day, but they are basically keeping track of them anyway. Seems some people have got so used to not having any privacy they don't understand why anyone else would want it. For me it's about 'peaceful enjoyment' of your home and they are messing with it.

Please
or

prh47bridge · 16/12/2020 17:54

I haven't read the whole thread but there is a lot of incorrect advice in the bit I have scanned.

A Ring doorbell is subject to the same laws as a CCTV system (assuming the camera is enabled). They must have a clear and justifiable reason for capturing images of people outside the boundary of their property. They need to be able to explain why capturing images is more important than invading your privacy and that of others. They should have a sign telling people that they are being recorded and explaining why. They need to be able to show that they are storing the footage securely, only keeping it for as long as it is needed and deleting it regularly.

If you make a subject access request they must provide all information they hold about you, including identifiable images. They must also delete any images of you if you ask them to do so.

Take a look at ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/ for all the details.

Please
or

VenusClapTrap · 16/12/2020 17:55

My friend has one of these and it recorded footage of a ghost. Not joking.

Please
or

PerkingFaintly · 16/12/2020 17:55

Yeah, sod your neighbour looking at the video, it's Amazon which is collecting and processing the video of your front door and all the other front doors which have Ring. Your neighbour gets to view Amazon's video – the set-up is that way round.

What's more Amazon does have the resources and incentive to process that data. In this case it will mostly be your neighbour, as they are the one with the app. Broader insight into your neighbour's life can be sold onwards to advertisers – who can be selling anything from soap powder or can be selling political messaging.

Amazon's Ring logs every doorbell press and app action
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51709247

Welcome to surveillance capitalism, folks.

Drives me slightly barmy that some people are running round panicking that Bill Gates is trying to inject them with microchips (not really happening), while being completely oblivious to highly intrusive amassing of personal data like this (which is really happening).

Please
or

ImPrincessAurora · 16/12/2020 17:55

A couple of things.

Yes it records sound.

Yes the chime is annoying. You can change it to one of 30 or so choices.

It’s actually a brilliant burglar deterrent. I’ve caught someone scoping out my house, looking directly at the ring doorbell and running off!

Most people have the notifications limited to doorbell only because otherwise it’s bloody annoying. So they wouldn’t be looking at any recordings of people walking in and out of your house unless it sets off their doorbell.

Also most people will have the duration of the recording limited, to say 20 seconds because otherwise it massively drains the battery. So they won’t be recording hours and hours of your front door.

Please
or

StatisticallyChallenged · 16/12/2020 17:57

We have one, but we're a detached house so not invading anyone else's privacy

Dh put out some halloween decorations, including a witch at the door that had some dangly fabric. Everyone time there was a breeze, it set off the motion alert. Perhaps a Christmas equivalent could be found? They might then turn off the motion alerts

Please
or

greenlynx · 16/12/2020 17:57

I wouldn’t like it too and I’m not sure that it’s legal. I would check with Cutizens bureau and online and only then to talk to your neighbors.
OP is right, it is invasion of privacy. Her neighbors will basically know her family routine. At the moment they could see what’s going on only IF they are near the door/windows but with the bell they are basically alerted every time when something happens. OP might have a visitor she doesn’t want neighbors to know, she might accidentally have a private conversation on mobile near the door, she might be in the situation when she needs to confirm her date of birth or medical information. Now she needs to be on alert every time she goes to her own front door, it’s not right.
I don’t want my neighbors to know details of my life. I’m not drug dealer or psychopath but I don’t know them that well to be sure that they are not. People go on holiday, leave keys for relatives in a safe place, have sensitive conversation over mobile. They don’t want other people to know about all these. People are entitled to privacy and considering OP has children, her concerns are even more valid.

Please
or

Crankley · 16/12/2020 17:57

I don't know much about Ring doorbells. Do they record a) only when someone presses the bell, b) if it responds to movement, ie people walking up the path or c) all the time?

If a) it woudn't concern me - unless they're running a business from home, most bells don't get rung more than a couple of times a day, if at all. If b) that's more annoying because it will be picking up all the comings and goings to/from your house. c) is unacceptable.

If b) or c) I would ask them if they would please fit it the other side of their door and explain why. If no luck install a camera directed towards their front door. This may be illegal but may get the message across before you're forced to remove it. Alternatively, start planting some fast growing bamboo along the fence.

Please
or

Beautifulbonnie · 16/12/2020 17:58

I love how the answer is either talk to them

Or get someone to engage over and over again in criminal activity and nothing in between!

On top of that you’ve put that your get your brothers to nick it and written it on the net!

Please
or

Plzhelpme56 · 16/12/2020 18:00

Mine picks up movement of neighbours, not looked at the footage once. I just don't care enough. Also you can create a privacy screen, so all your side is blacked out. Easy.

Please
or

Fluffybutter · 16/12/2020 18:00

One , why would they be interested in anything you get delivered ? And two, you get two base plates and one is angled so they could use that one as it shouldn’t show your door and if it’s that loud they also have a volume so can put it on the lowest setting if you ask.
We have one but our house is detached and no one opposite as I hadn’t really thought about it filming the neighbours .
I hate the outside child so I’ve it on the lowest setting as only the ones ringing it need to hear it .

Please
or

PerkingFaintly · 16/12/2020 18:01

prh47bridge, I have been wondering about the efficacy of making Subject Access Requests under data protection legislation to Amazon and to the owner of any Ring doorbell one encounters.

Surely if we, Joe Public, start doing that, the Ring system will collapse under its own weight?

Amazon are slurping so much data about random passer-bys and people approaching Ring doorbells without signage, they won't be able to cope. Individual users will have less data on their hands – but even less clue about how to meet data protection legislation.

Amazon would be forced to massively reduce the scope of their system.

Please
or

StatisticallyChallenged · 16/12/2020 18:01

Crankley they can be a or b. Ours currently is set to alert and record motion or doorbell. Can be doorbell only if preferred

Please
or

Fluffybutter · 16/12/2020 18:02

*chime! Not child ..Grin

Please
or

BloggersBlog · 16/12/2020 18:03

@Bluntness100

Honestly if this is all you worry about you’re in a good place. Why the hell would they be sitting pausing to look at what tv you bought? Why would you care that they knew? I’m sure they’ve seen your kids go in ans out many times. They aren’t going to be sitting wondering what they look like.

Yes, Im sure that is ALL the OP has to worry about. Lives in a perfect little paradise where absolutely nothing else is obscuring her life.

FGS why do people put such stupid posts - not everything has to be life or death to be posted about Hmm
Please
or

AcornAutumn · 16/12/2020 18:04

[quote Funkyfriends]@AcornAutumn you don’t, but it seems that OP has assumed that the neighbours are making a video collection of the comings and going’s of her front door.[/quote]
A reasonable thought given the Ring doorbell...

Please
or

Elfieishere · 16/12/2020 18:04

Do you actually share a path up to your doors ? If you do I can’t see how you can make them move it at all as it’s not your path.

Please
or

Strictlysilly · 16/12/2020 18:04

Why not just get one as well and see how they feel

Please
or

Elfieishere · 16/12/2020 18:05

@MAK93

Are you a drug dealer? 🙄😂

100%.

She clearly has something dodgy going on.

Maybe she’s a sex worker and doesn’t want her neighbours to see all her clients Grin
Please
or

QforCucumber · 16/12/2020 18:07

Our neighbour sets ours off some mornings when she's chasing the kids getting them into the car. I open the notification, see its her and close it again. I dont sit and watch her daily comings and goings because I have so many better things to do.

Please
or

captainprincess · 16/12/2020 18:07

I do agree with you I'm that I wouldn't be comfortable with this, the noise would probably annoy me the most to be honest. However you are possible being slightly paranoid about thinking they will rob you when you go out.....this seems unlikely.
Please report back after speaking to them.

Please
or

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 16/12/2020 18:09

@picklemewalnuts

Go in and out constantly. Literally constantly. Let them get fed up of the alerts so they take steps to stop it recording you.

I've got the alerts turned off, I only know when someone rings the doorbell. We've got a shared path and when we decided to get a Ring doorbell we warned our neighbour and they didn't have a problem with it. I know when they go in and out anyway as they slam the door every time so I don't need a bloody doorbell to tell me!

We obviously wouldn't use it to spy on the neighbour, although we did use it to spy on our previous cat sitter when we suspected she wasn't staying as long as she said she was.
Please
or

Sweettea1 · 16/12/2020 18:10

You think there gonna watch it rewind it pause it just to nose at who is coming to yours blimey they must have a boring life. Pretty sure they will only use it when needed ya no when some1 rings there bell.

Please
or

Beautifulbonnie · 16/12/2020 18:10

Just go in and out 300 times in one day. They’ll soon turn off notifications or move it.

Please
or

Wherehavetheteletubbiesgone · 16/12/2020 18:10

They can record what they like However they have to comply with GDPR if they film outside their property. You have no right to confirm this to my knowledge so they could say well we have privacy set up on your doorway and you would have to accept it. They can not keep recordings unless they have a good reason to (basically an active crime or confirming a contract has been done). Personally I have a CCTV sign up with the reason written on it but 98% of ring doorbell users don't do that which is probably ok so long as they don't keep the recordings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.