Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

saraclara · 16/12/2020 17:13

Ask them nicely if they can turn the volume right down, and mention that their phone will still ping. Then mention that it films your comings and goings, and ask if it's possible to blackout part of it, or to put up something that blocks its view of your door. Of course, you'll only have their word for it if they say they will do the former.

I'd hate it too. Not only will it record your comings and goings, their phone will ping when it senses you out there. That's REALLY invasive.

Please
or

bluebeck · 16/12/2020 17:13

@ILoveYoga

Well, what about a piece of tape over the door bell and a little sign, please knock?

Wind chimes outside your door that will cause the doorbell to record so they’ll have nothing but hours upon hours upon hours upon hours of recording nothing?

You could open your door quietly, reach over and ring their bell (so you’re not in the frame), then quietly close your door. This way they’ll think it’s malfunctioning, get tired of the noise and get rid of it.

Has anyone ever told you that you are an evil genius? Smile
Please
or

Rockdown2020 · 16/12/2020 17:14

YANBU I think they’re such an invasive device, particularly in your situation with it being so close to your door. I wouldn’t like neighbours knowing all my comings and going’s. I’m sure they are completely uninterested in what you’re doing but it’s still weird to think they could, if they wanted, view at least a month of you and your children leaving and returning to your home.

Please
or

tinselfest · 16/12/2020 17:14

@onlythepianoplayer

Is that legal in yhe UK? Wouldn't be in Ireland. Privacy laws mean any camera on your property can only cover your own property and no one elses.

That's what I was wondering.
Please
or

AcornAutumn · 16/12/2020 17:14

@Biddums

Ok, I can see a few here more then likely have them so ain't bothered by them but it's not a CCTV camera that's just looking at the end of my drive.

It's right on their door, which is right next to mine. I'm not so full of myself that I think they got it to spy on my fgs. But it does cover my door and yes I feel it invades my privacy.

I don't have anything dodgy going on, I just don't like it. It's a camera in my face when I step out my own door. I just think when your door is next to another, you should ask before putting a camera on it.

I agree
Posters have linked upthread but I think the legislation means they need permission if any part of your property is affected by this, which it clearly is.

Could Citizens Advice clarify?

Also, what’s the noise? Could you hear their doorbell before?
Please
or

JulietMadeChutney · 16/12/2020 17:14

I agree with PP - Windchimes with LOTS of feathery bits flapping around in the wind.

Please
or

FairyFairy · 16/12/2020 17:15

@onlythepianoplayer

and I totally agree with you OP and don't understand the answers you;re getting.

They are presumably from all the Mumsnetters who pride themselves on having an expensive Ring doorbell. I don't get it either.
Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:15

Yikes, I've often got something from my car at night when I'm scantily clad. I would definitely feel inhibited by this.

The plus point is they will scare any potential burglars from your house as well, for free. although my bastard burglars broke in from the back door

Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:16

And I don't have a Ring myself, mainly because I think it will be nicked. Do hey really replace nicked ones?

Please
or

NorbertMeubles · 16/12/2020 17:16

Why are you so bothered? I think your neighbours probably couldn't care less who comes and goes to your house and what you get delivered. I have never ever given a second thought to who goes to my neighbours house as I don't care.

Please
or

AcornAutumn · 16/12/2020 17:16

@goopsoup

Yikes, I've often got something from my car at night when I'm scantily clad. I would definitely feel inhibited by this.

The plus point is they will scare any potential burglars from your house as well, for free. although my bastard burglars broke in from the back door

Burglars will just wear masks to get round this and now no one thinks a masked man approaching is odd.
Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:17

Is there sound too? I probably would watch and listen via Ring if I could see and hear my neighbours.

Please
or

zeeboo · 16/12/2020 17:17

I'm afraid you are not as Important or as interesting as you think you are. Your neighbours won't be pouncing on their phones excitedly watching your kids walking away from the front door or the Argos man arriving with your new Tv.

Please
or

FairyFairy · 16/12/2020 17:18

Yes, they have sound too.

Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:19

I'm afraid you are not as Important or as interesting as you think you are. Your neighbours won't be pouncing on their phones excitedly watching your kids walking away from the front door or the Argos man arriving with your new Tv.

Never underestimate what WFH does to a person looking for a distraction to extend procrastination.

Please
or

Iwonder08 · 16/12/2020 17:19

OP, are you civil with your neighbours at all? Ring doorbell has privacy settings that can specifically black out a part of the view, for instance neighbours door!
support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360027979331-Understanding-Privacy-Zones

Can you have a polite conversation with your neighbours explaining you feel concerned about your privacy and would like them to set it up so it doesn't cover your door?

Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:19

@FairyFairy

Yes, they have sound too.

Thanks
Please
or

FairyFairy · 16/12/2020 17:19

@zeeboo

Well, that rather depends on the neighbours, surely?
Please
or

RainbowRaine · 16/12/2020 17:20

@Biddums it records sounds too so they would be able to hear any conversations you have by your front door or when walking towards the house.

Please
or

Dumbie · 16/12/2020 17:23

It's a shame you don't see this as beneficial op.
A few of us on my road have this doorbell, we've successfully identified a prolific car burglar, some nuisance passers-bys, a missing cat and speeding cars (so we can ask them to stop).

Please
or

Threetoone · 16/12/2020 17:25

OP I can understand why you feel this way, it is an intrusion.
Having said that we got one a few months back and now I’m slightly paranoid about all my neighbours who also have them and if they are picking up conversations you might be having outside.
I was chatting to one neighbour and her DH piped up, “hello threetoone” over the doorbell! He wasn’t at home.
You could play with their minds and keep opening your front door, step out, step back in. Their phones will be pinging with notifications non stop, it will drive them nuts.

Please
or

Biddums · 16/12/2020 17:27

Yes it makes a sound outside, which you can hear. Yes that's because our front door is crap at blocking sound but it's so annoying.

Yes they are a busy house, more so with Xmas and deliveries of course.

Again it's not that I think they got it to spy on me!! But it's there, yes it will tell them whenever someone is outside my door. Because the doors are next to each other.

Again we share a path, there is no way I can avoid the bloody camera when I leave my house.

What do I say to them? I want it gone. I don't know them that well to trust they would block three quarters if not more of their camera out. It would make it pointless and seen as they bought it, I'm guessing they want it to be useful.

Their phone and whatever else they have linked to it will tell them when I leave. Also it records automatically, so no they don't need to be sitting there waiting. Their phone will go and they will watch the video back to see who it was! That's the whole point of them in the first place.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LouScot · 16/12/2020 17:27

I would absolutely hate it too! I'm dreading my neighbours getting one. I'm surprised so many people wouldn't be bothered if they were in this situation, just goes to show how different we all are 😁 I'd just feel "watched" all the time, even though I'm sure they had better things to do!!!

Please
or

goopsoup · 16/12/2020 17:30

Also, not to worry you unduly you, OP, but my friend and her family were burgled, and they think it was their neighbour, as it happened in a very small window when the house was empty.

This Ring doorbell gives your neighbours a lot of info about your family's comings and goings.

Please
or

MAK93 · 16/12/2020 17:32

Are you a drug dealer? 🙄😂

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.