Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SpnBaby1967 · 16/12/2020 18:11

Sadly wind chimes wouldnt work as you can set them to only detect human being motions.

Okay, few things you can do.

1. You can be a decent neighbour & just talk to them and ask them to block parts out. Your assumption that they wouldnt do it is rude.

2. you could ask them how they are abiding to the GDPR rules. Tell them if you or your family are caught on camera, under these rules you have the right to request this video footage and drive them mad by having to keep downloading and sending it to you.

3. You can report it to the Police, I've had cases where they have been out to view my tenants videos to determine if any rules are breached. But say goodbye to neighbourly relations.

4. realise that you're really not that interesting, that actually its adding extra security to your own home too and that there are bigger things going on in the world than being caught on camera for 5 seconds a few times a day.
Please
or

Beautifulbonnie · 16/12/2020 18:12

Ha. Mumsnet adverts works well then!

More people will buy them now

Ring doorbell hell!
Please
or

emilyfrost · 16/12/2020 18:14

What do I say to them? I want it gone.

You don’t say anything. It’s not up to you.

If you were my neighbour and came round saying you wanted it gone I’d laugh in your face and shut the door on you.

Please
or

YellowandGreenToBeSeen · 16/12/2020 18:14

Bloody love mine. My front door is on an off road footpath and people have to walk past to get to their front doors which are off road. It flashes on my phone but I never look - only if someone actually rings the bell do I look. I care not about what the people who live further down my footpath get up to or their delivery of TVs.

If my neighbour told me ‘it had to go’ my face would be:

Confused then Hmm and then Grin because I’d be sure they were joking.

Please
or

Penners99 · 16/12/2020 18:17

A laser pointer (held out of view) will cause the chip to fail.

Just saying.........

Please
or

AcornAutumn · 16/12/2020 18:18

@emilyfrost

What do I say to them? I want it gone.

You don’t say anything. It’s not up to you.

If you were my neighbour and came round saying you wanted it gone I’d laugh in your face and shut the door on you.

We don’t know for sure but the law might well be on OP side here.
Please
or

Funkyfriends · 16/12/2020 18:18

@AcornAutumn it’s not really a reasonable thought, what are they going to do, get the dvd out at Christmas and watch it with the family. It’s literally just a doorbell that means you don’t have to deal with anyone at the door that you don’t want to. It’s only something sinister if you as the neighbour is doing anything dodgy.

Please
or

emilyfrost · 16/12/2020 18:19

We don’t know for sure but the law might well be on OP side here.

I’d happily talk to the police, but I’m not listening to my paranoid neighbours demands of it being gone.

Please
or

StylishMummy · 16/12/2020 18:24

We have a ring which also covers the neighbours end of their drive (we've angled where we can) but no way would I take it down. We have numerous car burglaries in the area, break ins and dodgy traders going door to door. We feel much safer having it and it's also handy if Hermes play silly buggers with parcels.

They're on every other house here and they're popular with insurance companies and neighbourhood watch. Your children will literally be in their coats & shoes, hardly naked in the bath Confused

Please
or

saraclara · 16/12/2020 18:24

@zeeboo

I'm afraid you are not as Important or as interesting as you think you are. Your neighbours won't be pouncing on their phones excitedly watching your kids walking away from the front door or the Argos man arriving with your new Tv.

Mine would. Throughout Covid they've been watching to see if I'm 'going out too often'.
Please
or

StylishMummy · 16/12/2020 18:27

To add - they don't have to take it down as it's not CCTV - it's not on a circuit. They may need a sign to say you're being recorded in their window but they don't have to take it down. If you escalate, you'll need to declare a neighbour dispute if you sell your house in the future. May as well embrace it Wink

Please
or

MAK93 · 16/12/2020 18:27

@Elfieishere Ah yes that sounds like a more exciting scenario 😂

Please
or

Lb603 · 16/12/2020 18:30

Jee wizz. You sound like a terrible neighbour.

If you have an issue with your side of the door being recorded ask them to move it to the other side of their door, and use the slanted mount, or edit the recording area so your door isn't covered. Or install a small barrier that will block the view so they can't see all the TV's you buy...problem solved?

I really don't understand why you're making such a big deal out of this, going round and demanding it be removed is a terrible idea?! It's their door too, perhaps they added the ring doorbell because you've been snooping around their house?

Please
or

Toomanycats99 · 16/12/2020 18:33

You get a wedge kit with it and This angles it rather than facing straight out. This would probably help point it away from you. You just fix it behind it.

I do this as my door is at one side of my house and I didn't want it covering neighbours drive.

Please
or

Biddums · 16/12/2020 18:33

@Beautifulbonnie, nothing in between? Did you miss where I asked if I should offer to pay for it? So they are not out of pocket.

They seem nice so hopefully will understand where I'm coming from. I'm not going to be threatening them. I will ask them to remove it and explain why. I will offer to pay for it.

If they don't and I have no legal way to protect my children from being videoed, yes I will get it removed myself. And the replacement to boot. However that will be if everything else fails.

@emilyfrost, I'm not paranoid, it's right out there in my face. Also I said on here I want it gone because I'm venting. I'm not going to be rude to them over it.

However it will be going, in the end one way or another.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SlippersForFlippers · 16/12/2020 18:35

I get a still image in the notification that pops up on my phone so I very rarely look at the actual videos.

You can set it to notify of motion near the door or only when the door bell is pressed.

If they have set up the 2nd option they'll only get a notification when some one actually presses the button.

Please
or

Skysblue · 16/12/2020 18:36

OP I’d suggest you drop a note to them instead of just drop round, that way they can have a chance to reflect on your position instead of just saying ‘no’.

Ordinarily I don’t think you’d have a legal leg to stand on BUT isn’t there some law about not photographing/videoing private property? I just did a quick google and found advice to photographers that they legally shouldn’t photograph private property without the owners consent. Do some research on the law then drop a formal letter the camera as currently sited is regularly videoing private property and also minors and that this is illegal (if it is).

Please
or

StylishMummy · 16/12/2020 18:38

If the owners can justify the reason for the camera, then it will stay. If you forcibly remove it, you can be prosecuted for criminal damage

Please
or

gnushoes · 16/12/2020 18:39

It doesn't need to be gone. Just use the wedge kit posters are talking about.
Your worries sound a bit OTT to me. If your kids get caught on their doorbell video, so what?

Please
or

NumNum33 · 16/12/2020 18:41

I would contact the non-emergency police line and ask them what to do. I don't think it's acceptable at all.

Or take the more guerilla approach of snipping a wire in the bloody thing in the dead of night.

Please
or

emilyfrost · 16/12/2020 18:42

emilyfrost, I'm not paranoid, it's right out there in my face. Also I said on here I want it gone because I'm venting. I'm not going to be rude to them over it.

You are paranoid - going on about them watching you, snooping on you, saving recordings just to watch you, worrying they know people who rob houses 😂

You could put it as nicely as you want, but again, if you were my neighbour, the answer would be no.

However it will be going, in the end one way or another.

No it won’t, not if they don’t want it to, because you have no control over that.

Please
or

SlippersForFlippers · 16/12/2020 18:43

Don't forget, if you remove/damage/steal the doorbell the chances are they will have you on video doing it.

Please
or

Biddums · 16/12/2020 18:45

Noted @StylishMummy, thank you.

I would only get it removed as a last resort. However it won't be myself who removes it. Anyway you can't charge people you can't identify.

I had my car broken into on a car park in daylight, all on CCTV. Face was covered so no one to find.

I did think of a note but think it would be best face2face. So I can explain my reasons for asking them to remove the camera. I think speaking helps as the tone can come across wrong in a letter.

I worded it badly on here as I was venting and got told by someone they would laugh in my face.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dontgobaconmyheart · 16/12/2020 18:46

Crikey OP are you alright? I understand and share an aversion to ring doorbells and CCTV culture but how can you take the moral high ground about the law and your rights when you dont even know what they are AND are yourself proposing breaking the law by vandalising or removing it. Hopefully they'll record you doing so somehow and you'll end up with a criminal record.

How do you even know what they can see and why do you think anyone gives a toss about your boring (almost always unmarked like most post) purchases, as if anyone would ever look for this OP Confused. Your kids are being recorded almost everywhere they go, and by their own phones and devices as are we all so so will you be vetting any/all future acquaintes of the dc to make sure they don't ave home cctv or doorbells etc? Demand they remove if your DC are present? Or is it just the neighbours?

You sound like you've lost the plot. The doorbell is for their own lives and deliveries not so they can catch a glimpse of your kids on a screen a couple of times a day. Hate to break it to you OP but they can see all these things from a window anyway and probably hear your conversations given you're adjourned.

If you're that bothered speak politely to them about it or speak with non urgent law enforcement if you can PROVE it films your property to that extent and tou suspect them of nefarious activity. Ask them to turn the ring down in the meantime. No need for all this bloody weird threat of crime and accusing the neighbours of 'filming kids' as though they are sex offenders.

Please
or

JamieLeeCurtains · 16/12/2020 18:47

@Penners99

A laser pointer (held out of view) will cause the chip to fail.

Just saying.........

Interesting ...

Where I live, people are putting up six feet fence panels between their doors and the neighbours' doors, which I think makes the point about maintaining privacy rather well.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.