Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To feel ignored on MN?

175 replies

StrawberryMartini · 04/10/2007 07:41

See thread here.

My advice wasn't even agreed with - just completely ignored and the same advice given twice. Do I have to pass some sort of test before anyone acknowledges my posts here?

Not the first time either!

OP posts:

Twigaletto · 04/10/2007 07:42

ahem .. who exactly on that thread got acknowledged

that's the way of the forum I'm afraid

get over it

Blandmum · 04/10/2007 07:44

The place is so big now, it is hard to get recognised.

For example I have no bloody idea who that damn fool twigaletto is........

Twigaletto · 04/10/2007 07:46

hah fooled ya

Twigaletto · 04/10/2007 07:46

s'me init?

zippitippitoes · 04/10/2007 07:47

you are going to be sorely disappointed if you expect to be noticed/acknowledged/pattted on the back for posting...

i know nobody these days

Saturn74 · 04/10/2007 07:57

So you didn't start the thread, but are annoyed that the OP hasn't acknowledged you?

Sometimes comments get overlooked on threads when a few people post. The OP was asked a question by another poster, and answered that, so she may not have read your reply fully.

But it's all part of the cut and thrust.

And look how many people have acknowledged your post this time!

saltire · 04/10/2007 07:58

I get it all the time, don't worry about it - although I did when I started a thread really needing some advice and it was more or less ignored. However the boards do move fast these days with so many people on them and sometimes peopple just answer the name they recognise

ScaryScaryNight · 04/10/2007 08:01

Goodness, if an op should have to acknowledge every post on a thread, threads would be long and boring in deed, and op would do nothing else.

oh, and I have not yet seen you acknowledge every single one of the posters on this thread?

Get the point?

belgo · 04/10/2007 08:04

I get ignored all the time. I still post though, because I like talking to myself.

Saturn74 · 04/10/2007 08:05

Hello Belgo.
How are you?

belgo · 04/10/2007 08:06

Who me?!

Saturn74 · 04/10/2007 08:07

Grin

LadyMacbeth · 04/10/2007 08:09

SM, I have given advice many a time only for it to be overlooked completely... then a better known poster comes along, says exactly the same thing and lots of people acknowledge it.

If a well known poster starts a thread, doesn't matter how witty, important or pertinent to the other posters, the chances are it will get more of a response.

I think though that with MN that the more you put in the more in time you will get out. If you are new you are (not surprisingly) only a name to other posters. The more you post and the longer you stick around the more others get to know you and the more likely you are to be recognised and thus responded to.

I am not a well known here although I've been posting for over a year but then I don't post that much so I don't expect everyone else to bow down and listen to me as soon as I enter the forum!

belgo · 04/10/2007 08:12

the thing you have to remember though is even if you think your post hasn't been acknowledged, many people will probably have read it.

A poster I'd never come across before recently said to me 'I always laugh at your posts belgo' (or something like that) and I was very surprised.

belgo · 04/10/2007 08:16

that's true Lady Macbeth. It's only natural that people will want to chat to people they know and trust, and even then, a recent thread has shown that even regular mumsnetters are not always who you think they are.

Lulumama · 04/10/2007 08:18

i think a general thanks for posting, end of thread acknowledgement is fine, as has been said, acknowleding every post would make most threads too long and a wee bit turgid

YANBU for feeling a bit miffed,but twas ever thus !

InMyHumbleOpinion · 04/10/2007 08:18

I been here 4 years. nobody knows who i AM, DESPITE POSTING EVERY DAY. i AM IGNORED ALL THE TIME. I probably ignore people too. dON'T Worry about it

belgo · 04/10/2007 08:18

even cod sometimes gets ignored. No one has responded to this thread for more then an hour

littlelapin · 04/10/2007 08:24

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrawberryMartini · 04/10/2007 08:34

It was nothing to do with not being acknowledged by the op - proof that my op wasn't read properly , it was the fact that two other posters repeated my advice like mine meant nothing. And it is not the first time. I like to think I know a little bit about expressing, having exclusively pumped for a year, but hey-ho!

OP posts:

zippitippitoes · 04/10/2007 08:36

even less sure what your problem is....now

definitely a case of thinking too much

GreebosWhiskers · 04/10/2007 08:39

Ach I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of the time people only read the OP even if it's just a short thread so maybe didn't realise they were reiterating your advice. I'm sure your post was read & heeded by a fair few folks. I still get a bit paranoid at the amount of threads I've apparently killed but am trying to convince myself that they were just coming to the end of their natural lives by the time I found them

zippitippitoes · 04/10/2007 08:40

but suggest you haunt bf threads especially those relating to expressing until people start saying wait until strawberrydaquiri comes along she will answer

I have aniche area of special expertise

called shall or shan't i have sex with this man

unfortunately it's not the most popular subject on mn

yet

pointydog · 04/10/2007 08:48

happens all the time to pretty much everyone, martini. It's ok.

BandofMutantMonsters · 04/10/2007 08:50

We all get ignored on MN sometimes, see here

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?