Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not put Christmas tree up yet?

fluffedupferretonsteroids · 10/11/2019 20:17

My DP really wants to put the tree up early this year. His reasoning is that we have just moved into our own place and it would be nice to have as long as possible for our DS who is one. He wants to do it tomorrow if he gets enough people to agree with him.

The reason I dont want to is we havent finished unpacking and it's all down to me. He isnt helping as he brought all the stuff to the new flat, without my help. We think this is a fair trade.

I cant however finish unpacking yet as there is storage issues. Tools still left behind by people who helped get the flat ready to live in and some drawers not yet been brought over.

So AIBU in not wanting to put it up until the flat is completely finished?

OP's posts:
Please
or

areyouafraidofthedark · 10/11/2019 20:18

Way way to early. December 1st at the earliest.

Please
or

ChampagneCommunist · 10/11/2019 20:18

No earlier than 15 December!

Please
or

HuggedTrees · 10/11/2019 20:19

Unpacking is much harder than moving. Compromise that it goes up when the flat is unpacked so he has to help in that case

Please
or

Duvetdweller · 10/11/2019 20:19

Regardless of anything else, don’t put the tree up because it isn’t December bangs gavel

Please
or

Orchidflower1 · 10/11/2019 20:20

No it’s stupidly, embarrassingly early. Given the circumstances of just moving in it’s totally ludicrous!

Please
or

Teachermaths · 10/11/2019 20:20

It's November. Your one year old will give a shit for about 30 seconds.

Tell him to stop being ridiculous.

Please
or

Parker231 · 10/11/2019 20:20

Too early - tree goes up 20 December and down on 31 December.

Please
or

vodkaredbullgirl · 10/11/2019 20:20

Far too early but then my 20 yr old has her little tree up, as long as i dont see it lol

Please
or

RoxanneMonke · 10/11/2019 20:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Fuzzywuzzyhadnohair · 10/11/2019 20:20

Of course not. Even without the reasons you’ve given, it’s NOVEMBER. The longer you have that tree up with a one year old around, the more sick of replacing baubles and trying to stop them pulling it over you’ll be, you’ll hate the sight of it by Christmas Day!

Please
or

BellatrixLestat · 10/11/2019 20:21

Bloody hell, no.

I'm absolutely love Christmas and will happily dance about singing Christmas songs with tinsel in my hair all through December. But not a moment sooner! It just stages it out for so long and makes the build up so long for children.

We usually put ours up first full weekend in December so we can go pick it from the garden centre on the Saturday and finish decorating on the Sunday. When I was a kid it would go up the weekend before Christmas. The wait never seemed as long for us then.

Please
or

littlehappyhippo · 10/11/2019 20:22

Too early!!!

1st December is early enough.

Someone on the outskirts of our village has put their fairy lights up in the garden... AND has a 6 ft Christmas tree in the front window. (with lights...) been there since 1st November!

Bonkers.

Still love 'em for it though. Grin Even if I wouldn't do it!

Please
or

HeadBrickWall · 10/11/2019 20:23

December 1st. But make sure you only have non-breakable decorations!

Please
or

user1497207191 · 10/11/2019 20:24

We put ours up the weekend before Christmas and it comes down the weekend after. November is waaaayyyy too early.

Please
or

fluffedupferretonsteroids · 10/11/2019 20:24

20th is so late, Having a tree up for only 11 days is just too much effort for no time at all.
I think 25th nov is a good time as I'd take down just after boxing day.
If he helped get the flat unpacked id let him put the tree up whenever he wanted.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HelloYouTwo · 10/11/2019 20:25

What do you mean you have to do all the unpacking and he isn’t helping? Why doesn’t he help with that? I don’t know why you didn’t help with moving stuff - too heavy? Looking after your 1 year old? But surely you do the job of moving in together until it’s done then you can faff about with Christmas trees.

And yes it is far far too early to put a tree up.

Please
or

iago · 10/11/2019 20:26

He is WRONG. It's not even Advent which I think is too early for anything to do with Christmas. Tree up Sunday before Christmas Day, decorations down January 6th. That is the law in my house!

Please
or

fluffedupferretonsteroids · 10/11/2019 20:26

The thought of DS destroying it every day does make me want to want much longer...

OP's posts:
Please
or

nestisflown · 10/11/2019 20:26

I think anything earlier than 1 December is a bit early. Your house your choice though 🤷‍♀️

But don't do it on account of your 1 year old because 1. he doesn't even know what's going on or what the tree is about and 2. you will just be gifting yourself an extra few weeks of misery running after your 1 year old to prevent him putting baubles and Christmas shit in his mouth/ trying to pull down the tree.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 10/11/2019 20:27

way way to early

Please
or

nestisflown · 10/11/2019 20:27

Sorry cross post OP

Please
or

tunnocksreturns2019 · 10/11/2019 20:28

Too early plus I think he is really mean not helping with the unpacking.

Please
or

starrynight19 · 10/11/2019 20:29

Xmas is ages away why do people start it in November 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

fluffedupferretonsteroids · 10/11/2019 20:31

I did all the packing and I am doing the unpacking as he has done the manual labour as I am 28 weeks pregnant and have to look after DS.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DappledThings · 10/11/2019 20:31

20th is so late, Having a tree up for only 11 days is just too much effort for no time at all

If it goes up on 20th and for only 11 days you've sold yourself short and are bringing it down on only the 7th of the 12 days of Christmas.

I don't really care when people put them up but I do get annoyed when they come down before the 6th Jan.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.