Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask what in the holy hell have I just been served?

HashtagTeamRaven · 17/11/2018 17:37

It looks like rat. Please tell me it isn't rat?
I've eaten many a strange thing in my day (I have a weird job that often requires me to) but feel like rat would be a new low.

For context, I'm in Russia and was served it by a non English speaking Housekeeper who I suspect doesn't like me much.

it's rat isn't it?

To ask what in the holy hell have I just been served?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Bimwit · 17/11/2018 19:58

There are only 2 legs and the tail is neck. Im a taxidermist and keen game consumer, i know animal anatomy.

Please
or

Nonamesleft14 · 17/11/2018 19:59

Definitely badger

Please
or

Donthugmeimscared · 17/11/2018 20:00

I'm sitting here looking at my pet rats and it's definetly the wrong shape to be one of them.

Please
or

NotUmbongoUnchained · 17/11/2018 20:00

My Russian husband reckons pigeon. He approves.

Please
or

greyspottedgoose · 17/11/2018 20:04

That's definitely not a dick 🤭

Please
or

mumto2babyboys · 17/11/2018 20:06

From the angle it looks like 4 legs; front and hind and possibly 2 rats on the plate.

But ok if it is pigeon what's the bit on the plate behind the legs?

And how does someone kill pigeon? Because to shot gun them there wouldn't be enough meat left that was edible?

Surely you remove internal organs from poultry even in Russia because no one eats intestines?

Please
or

StargazyDrifter · 17/11/2018 20:11

Looks like half a fried quail or some other game bird. They don't eat rat or guinea pig in Russia as they can do in Vietnam/Peru.

Please
or

fuzzywuzzy · 17/11/2018 20:14

Looks like quail to me.

Please
or

mumto2babyboys · 17/11/2018 20:17

Russia is dirt poor and freezing so I don't believe they don't eat rats. Most people are underweight and starving there and freezing all winter in temps we never experience in the uk

Please
or

pinkmagic1 · 17/11/2018 20:19

Mumtobabyboys, you definitely can shoot pigeons to eat although my dh is from a country where pigeon is a delicacy and bred and kept in lofts especially for their meat. I have seen my mil dispatch them and she quickly cuts the heads off.

Please
or

StargazyDrifter · 17/11/2018 20:22

It's a huge country, with enormous wealth disparity, but I doubt very much OP is in the depths of poverty for her visit.

Please
or

GirlFliesHome · 17/11/2018 20:22

I'm going with marmot. Ate plenty in my time in Russia and Mongolia.

One of the reasons I went vegetarian for 10 years.

Please
or

iwantasofa · 17/11/2018 20:26

It's a very small chicken or game bird with the neck still on. They leave the neck on in lots of countries. Those are bird's legs.
This might be a good moment to go veggie.

Please
or

GoldenMcOldie · 17/11/2018 20:28

mumto2babyboys

Russia is dirt poor and freezing so I don't believe they don't eat rats. Most people are underweight and starving there and freezing all winter in temps we never experience in the uk

^are you for real? Have you ever been to Russia?

Please
or

iwantasofa · 17/11/2018 20:30

'since when does polutry have a tail'
Have you never seen a parson's nose???

Please
or

Teensandfuture · 17/11/2018 20:31

mumto

Unbelievable ignorance

Please
or

GirlFliesHome · 17/11/2018 20:32

still thinking marmot here.

Please
or

iwantasofa · 17/11/2018 20:32

This is a pretty eye-opening thread, I had no idea so many people were so clueless about food! Supermarkets have a lot to answer for.

Please
or

NotUmbongoUnchained · 17/11/2018 20:33

mumto Shock

Please
or

GlitterPixie · 17/11/2018 20:35

It looks like a quail

Please
or

TheSheepofWallSt · 17/11/2018 20:37

I vote bird- you can see the shape of the breast is avian.

Please
or

Bimwit · 17/11/2018 20:38

If farmed, you would neck a bird like a pigeon. If shot, 'shot' from a shotgun means lots of little beads which spread out. You'd just find little beads in the carcasse, it wouldnt be shot to pieces. Rifles fire bullets, but thats for big things like deer, you really would rip a pigeon to bits with that.

Please
or

CaptainCallisto · 17/11/2018 20:44

Bimwit I remember eating pheasant at my French student's home when I was about 13, and having a panic moment because I wasn't sure on the etiquette of spitting out the little shotgun pellets. In the end I shoved them all in my cheek like a hamster and then faked a cough so I could spit the into my napkin Grin

Please
or

CaliHummers · 17/11/2018 20:46

I had no idea so many people were so clueless about food! Supermarkets have a lot to answer for.

They do. On the other hand I've been vegetarian for over 30 years and although my knowledge of animal anatomy is reasonable, I would need more than one small photograph taken from one angle to make a reasonable guess.

Please
or

mumto2babyboys · 17/11/2018 20:56

So pigeons in Russian are farmed and have their necks wrung?

Anyone who has been hunting and eaten game of any sort, why bother with a pigeon they are considered vermin with very little Edible breast meat and any game that's been shot at, they do get shot to pieces even in pies there are still bits of metal in there at times and even when removed you can taste it. It's more for the sport than the actual meat that's just a by product to recycle what you can of it if you can be bothered.

I Have been to Russia and all the water was orange tinged from rusty pipes even in hotels and it is freezing cold.

I'm just not sure it's quail or poultry or edible

perchance can an actual chef or someone educated in the food industry explain the weird presentation of its anatomy and why some parts have been removed while others haven't?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.