Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ds ruining the wedding!!

171 replies

Lovethetimeyouhave · 26/10/2018 16:08

I'm here for stories of how other people's children have ruined a wedding or tried to! I have Ds (7 tomorrow) endlessly sulking, laying over the floor, being defiant and generally a nuisance, It's my best friends wedding and I haven't been able to support or enjoy as Ds has been awful. Please placate me with your tales

OP posts:
Aprilislonggone · 26/10/2018 16:11

The night before my wedding (dc free except mine) a friend's dd uploads pics of her +dsis in their outfits!!
Didn't see that one coming!!
The youngest appears in every bloody picture in a bright fuchsia dress like Where's bloody Wally!!

userblablabla · 26/10/2018 16:13

At age 7 I threw the shoes I was meant to wear to a wedding out of the window because they were pink and I hated pink Grin

Walnutsandsquirrels · 26/10/2018 16:19

My DD (then aged 5 yrs) was bridesmaid at her aunt’s wedding and scowled unpleasantly for every single photo. Luckily, the bride found it amusing rather than upsetting.

bringbackthestripes · 26/10/2018 16:35

A child guest (3 yrs old) started crying loudly as we were saying our vows in the church and then at the reception same child kept repeatedly yanking my veil and ruined my hair do.

DontCallMeCharlotte · 26/10/2018 16:36

Walnutsandsquirrels

Is her name Mia Tindall?!

Lweji · 26/10/2018 16:37

Wait... are you now at the wedding?

We need photos, or it didn't happen.

DontCallMeCharlotte · 26/10/2018 16:38

OP Have you tried the Very Angry Hissing at your DS accompanied by doom-laden threats (possibly involving Santa if it's not too early)?

Lweji · 26/10/2018 16:40

I was MoH equivalent at my brother's wedding (or best man equivalent, I suppose).
Anyway... DS, just over 1 yoa, starts being grumpy, then crying (no OH there), so I ended up leaving the front bench and the church to quieten DS.
When I came back they had already exchanged vows.

I then signed the papers as a witness. Grin I suppose it was more about witnessing the signatures than the vows, but still...

Missingstreetlife · 26/10/2018 16:41

Take them out and have stern words

ShalomJackie · 26/10/2018 16:43

And these are the reasons why lots opt for child free weddings!

LostInShoebiz · 26/10/2018 16:44

Can we expect an AIBU soon from the best friend?

AIBU that my best friend spent my wedding day on MN instead of supporting me/participating in the day?

LilMy33 · 26/10/2018 16:55

My DD and her cousins (all aged between 3-6 at the time) decided the speeches were the perfect time to whoop, squeal and generally cause a noisy riot on the dance floor. I was feeding my 6 week old baby at the time at the other end of the room so apart from mouthing furiously at them or getting up and causing the baby to really start screaming I was stuck. The other parents did fuck all. They were either on their phones or “listening intently to the speeches” while other people couldn’t hear a thing. I still cringe when I think about that (and wish I’d handled it differently!)

CornflakeMum · 26/10/2018 16:57

It was drizzling at our wedding when we went into church doorway for photos. Friends of DH called their kids over and put their bright yellow cagoules on them.
Yup - you've guessed it - these two brats then pushed and shoved their way to the front of EVERY photo until the photographer politely managed to get rid of them.

Oh, and one of my bridesmaids (only 5 at the time) was hot and bothered and ripped her dress off in the hotel room between service and reception - ripped all the silk-covered buttons off and had to be sewn back into it!

choli · 26/10/2018 16:59

AIBU that my best friend spent my wedding day on MN instead of supporting me/participating in the day?

And AIBU that the kid was only invited after his mother threw a strop and insisted that he must attend my supposed to be childfree wedding?

Namechangeforthiscancershit · 26/10/2018 16:59

This is going back some time (the sibling is now 31...) but a younger sibling of mine went off to use the loo during speeches (drunk parents ignored this) and then shouted at full volume “I’ve finished doing a poo” during the FOTB bit. Small venue so very very much audible.

We’re planning to let him forget it in 2045 or thereabouts

Blackbirdblue30 · 26/10/2018 17:02

Was at a wedding where a small girl shat under the buffet table.
Another where the only child (whose mother had made his presence into a major drama) roared through the vows and said mother just shushed him and looked around beaming.
Most recently a child threw a tennis ball at the bride during the first dance.
If I ever have a wedding it'll be childfree with no exceptions!

Poloshot · 26/10/2018 17:04

Maybe it would have been best to go without your child if he can't behave himself

LostInShoebiz · 26/10/2018 17:05

I had two: one with lots of family children, one totally child free. Child free had way less stress for everyone.

Zucker · 26/10/2018 17:08

I was at a wedding where the grooms niece was thrust at the bride and groom during their first dance. Proud parents beamed on as their cherub was playing such a significant role in the first dance, The poor couple were like deer in headlights Grin

FairyFace · 26/10/2018 17:09

Had my husbands nephew as a page boy, after paying for his outfit etc he refused to get in for any pics the little shit. Also my cousin turned up to our wedding with her 2 kids who were not invited in tow with track suit bottoms and scruffy leggings on them, whats worse is she sent them to the hotel room by themselves at 6 yrs & 11 yrs old! I went spare! No way was I leaving two innocent children sit alone in a room for the evening without food or company so I set them up at my own kids table and they had a ball, looked a bit odd in their trackie bottoms but hey they were only kids , was annoyed with my cousin, wagon!

BloomsButtons · 26/10/2018 17:09

Our wedding service was ruined by DH's niece. She had her weeks old baby with her (she only came to the church bit) and he started to scream soon after the service started. Soon he was in his full volume, scarlet faced glory and the minister reached the vows.

No sign of the niece or any other family member taking the baby out and he just kept screaming. I was very close to stopping the minister and turning round to ask someone, anyone, to take the baby out but felt it wouldn't be a good start to married life.

DH and I are planning a vow renewal with just us there.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 26/10/2018 17:09

Really Choli, Your wedding, right now?
7 year old me, flower girl to my dsis. Insisted that I had my waist length hair cut the week before the wedding. Very short. Yes I was an indulged younger child. Or as my bil called me, a spoilt brat. And I was out with my df, who was main spoiler. My mum cried, my sister cried, I cried. However, years later dsis agreed that the only thing that spoilt the wedding was her marrying a total prick.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ZeroFuchsGiven · 26/10/2018 17:24

I dont understand why you are letting him behave like that, Why on earth are you not controlling his behaviour, at 7 he should understand how to act in public.

hewhinessoshewines · 26/10/2018 17:27

I was puked on. In my dress. By my child. In front of everyone

LoniceraJaponica · 26/10/2018 17:27

"I dont understand why you are letting him behave like that, Why on earth are you not controlling his behaviour, at 7 he should understand how to act in public."

Why haven't you removed him?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.