My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Girl sat in blood soaked clothes after being told she couldnt go to the toilet and would require a £15 toilet pass.

452 replies

HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:25

metro.co.uk/2018/09/27/girl-sat-in-blood-soaked-clothes-after-teacher-said-she-couldnt-go-to-the-toilet-7984731/

FFS! What is wrong with some people And a £15 toilet pass. Misogyny and sex discrimination.

Two staff members also asked her what action the doctor was going to take to lighten her doctors flow.

Im absolutely furious reading this Im sorry if there already is a thread. I couldnt see one.

OP posts:
HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:26
  • her daughters flow.

And a small point Did the school not get the memo about the pressures on the NHS.
OP posts:
AppleKatie · 28/09/2018 18:29

That sounds horrendous.

Not sure what teachers fag breaks have got to do with it though.

HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:31

And if a poorer family cant afford the £15?

I guess there will be more girls not going to school when they are on then Angry

OP posts:
Witchend · 28/09/2018 18:32

The report I saw the mum said it was her first period and she was worried it could be soaking through.
Not idea, but a far cry from what you've written.

MrsStrowman · 28/09/2018 18:36

So if you suddenly get your period in a lesson you can't go to the toilet to deal with it unless you have a doctor's certificate? A certificate to say what, that a teenage girl has a menstrual cycle?! Another scenario where girls are penalised and boys are not. What are they supposed to do wear precautionary tampons FFS!

HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:37

No one should have to be paying £15 for a toilet pass That is ludicrous.

OP posts:
HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:38

Dont moan when you cant get a GP appointment then Witchend Because surgeries are having to deal with this kind of sexist misogynistic nonsense.

OP posts:
marvellousnightforamooncup · 28/09/2018 18:41

That is horrifying, poor girl.

IsTheRainEverComingBack · 28/09/2018 18:45

Oh god, I remember being about 12 and getting my period in class and having to argue with the teacher to get to go to the loo. Luckily I was bolshy, it was heavy and would have gone through my skirt by the end of the lesson. Horrible.

I get they don’t want kids alway out to the loo in the class, but a bit of fucking common sense is needed here.

SoupDragon · 28/09/2018 18:50

Not idea, but a far cry from what you've written.

Not ideal? It’s disgusting.

HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:50

Dr Tara Van Ho
@TaraVanHo
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @TaraVanHo @BiggusDiggus @hastingsacademy

"What's striking is that UK train adverts for @PlanUK talk about ensuring girls in African countries don't miss school b/c of their periods. But we have a UK school where the policy, in fact, encourages girls to miss school for this same reason. Appalling."

THIS!

OP posts:
wrenika · 28/09/2018 18:51

Very much a first world problem. Awkward but not the end of the world.

SoupDragon · 28/09/2018 18:52

Very much a first world problem. Awkward but not the end of the world.

Wtf? You think it’s “awkward”? Do you remember being an 11 year old girl?

Lazypoolday · 28/09/2018 18:53

Wtf why is a doctor's visit required to allow a girl to use the bathroom when it's her period? Ridiculous

megletthesecond · 28/09/2018 18:55

I hope heads roll over that Angry.

WindDoesNotBreakTheBendyTree · 28/09/2018 18:55

Poor kid. How about we all start treating children like human beings again?

A £15 toilet pass? That, folks, must be a school where there is no discipline and a lot of weak management.

And what pp said about misogyny.

blueskiesandforests · 28/09/2018 18:55

wrenka what an ironic pist given the one immediately before it about African girls missing school for the same reason!

MyLearnedFriend · 28/09/2018 18:55

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluelady · 28/09/2018 18:55

Awkward? It's a fucking outrage. And it's not a first world problem.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny · 28/09/2018 18:56

Surely this is sex discrimation on the basis that girls are more likely to need a loo trip on account of having no control over when periods start.

SpottingTheZebras · 28/09/2018 18:56

Awkward but not the end of the world.

And there speaks someone who does not have knowledge of heavy periods or the kind of upset bleeding through clothes can cause, especially to a girl in school.

AceAcer · 28/09/2018 18:56

I bet the 11 year old girl is absolutely delighted that her first period is in the news.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FrancisCrawford · 28/09/2018 18:56

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFairyCaravan · 28/09/2018 18:57

WTAF? I’d be taking this to Damien Hinds and copying in Angela Rayner. No child should ever need a toilet pass to use the toilet at school least of all an 11yo girl on her first period.

When DS1 was at school and the norovirus was doing its rounds a teacher refused to allow a girl, who was 15 iirc, to go to the toilet and she had a diarrhoea accident. Not one of the other kids took the piss, they all stood up for her and went to the head of year. After that i told my children if they ever needed the toilet desperately to walk out of class and I’d deal with the consequences.

HelenaDove · 28/09/2018 18:58

wrenika you dont see the irony then Or are you one of those middle class people who only recognize poverty in other countries because its somehow trendier to do so .

I care about both but there is a very disturbing undercurrent among the middle classes to only recognize the poverty outside the UK How very Grazia!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.