Meet the Other Phone. Flexible and made to last.

Meet the Other Phone.
Flexible and made to last.

Buy now

Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

They attacked Alison Moyet when she objected to being called a cis woman...

129 replies

loveyouradvice · 16/07/2018 12:05

I find this astonishing ... I'm a huge fan of Alison Moyet's and she has been so supportive of the LGBT community....

You can identify as anything you want these days, except as a woman. Consider what happened to British singer Alison Moyet. Last week, on Twitter, she said she didn’t want to be known as a cis-woman, just as a woman. ‘I defend everyone’s right to have the pronoun that they choose and will honour it’, she diplomatically said. And ‘I do not choose Cis for mine’, she continued. ‘It took women like me long enough to own the title “woman” in the first place. It’s a long enough word for me.’ The response to this calm, clear, polite act of self-definition? Fury. And insult. And abuse. On such a voluble level that Moyet eventually recanted her linguistic heresy, deleted her tweet, and left Twitter."

Rest of article is here
spiked-online.com/newsite/article/trans-activism-is-now-just-misogyny-in-drag#.W0x7Ha2ZPNA

Moyet's response to being called cis was quite gentle. Yet she got attacked on twitter with a pile of hate tweets and eventually gave up after being assertive but not aggressive with comments like
"I will name you as you identify. Must you afford me less?"

How could they do this?

OP posts:
DesignStatement · 19/07/2018 21:53

Just looked up 'cis woman'.
Bollox.
Call yourself what you like and let others do the same.
However, there is a collective madness afoot.
I was born female, happy with it and nobody is going to assign me a title they would prefer I had.

Hygge · 20/07/2018 12:05

I have just seen that Facebook are censoring Woman's Place UK and not allowing them to make certain posts or share content.

The link from Facebook to Woman's Place UK's website has been disabled as Facebook say they have had complaints that it leads to "malicious content" and they are also stating that a woman has had her Facebook profile picture copied, a fake account set up in her name, and false posts published on the fake account, claiming to be from her and stating that she attended one of the WPUK meetings and spat at a protester and found it funny.

This fake account and false statements were then used to attack WPUK.

This is their statement, which facebook tried to block (and may still remove).

"This is text of our statement re social media attacks. You can’t share link because FB won’t let you. Please share this post with text of statement.

Social Media Attacks on WPUK

It is now clear somebody created a fake FB account using a photograph of a woman without her permission and made posts implying she was a ticketholder to our #WPUK event in Brighton. After the event they posted, as if from her, that she had spat at a protestor and thought it was funny. This post was screenshotted and posted on Twitter.

This was then used to attack Woman’s Place UK by impugning the attendees at Monday’s meeting and promote lies about us and our supporters. The account has been reported and removed but, as we know, a lie is often half way round the world before the truth has got its boots on.

These are not the first such social media attacks we have been subjected to. We have had a fake twitter account set up in imitation. Our meeting hashtag #WPUK is now routinely hijacked by people posting sexual innuendo. Our posts have been routinely, and dishonestly, reported, hidden and obstructed.

We are not interested in a petty social media battle with people who oppose our aims. We are a campaign established to ensure that women’s voices and women’s rights are upheld in any proposed changes to a law that affects them.

This morning, our supporters are reporting that FB posts which link to our website are being removed. The reason give is that ‘they may be in breach of community standards’. They are not in breach of community standards. We would urge you to visit our website, read the posts and decide for yourself.

We have five demands. If you agree with these demands we would ask you to stand with us now and share our various posts far and wide to expose the spiteful attempt to shut us down instead of engage with our substantive demands.

We refuse to be side tracked by the vindictiveness of such campaigns. We are interested in a resolution that upholds the rights of everyone. We are not afraid of debate. We welcome it.

We call on our detractors to cease these attacks and to engage with us in serious discussion.

We are asking you to share this statement on all your social media platforms with all your followers and friends.

It is time this nonsense stopped.

loveyouradvice · 21/07/2018 13:26

how can they do this?

OP posts:
Cismyass · 21/07/2018 14:15

Not remotely surprised by this. Angry

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread