Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2

999 replies

MadameGrizzly · 16/05/2018 09:37

It appears we haven't quite finished workshopping the ethical issues of 'influencing' on Instagram: disclose of advertising, the exploitation of minors and the similarities to MLM schemes.

OP posts:
Please
or

bernardswatch · 16/05/2018 12:22

I don't think it's unreasonable to challenge the image of 'wealth' if it is faked by living on freebies and then selling it to your audience without disclosing that's what your doing.

I agree neverwas, it’s definitely a case of some people needing to acknowledge their privilege. It’s not just the “having family down the road to provide childcare” or the “high earning husband” arguments, it’s the freebies which become so frequent that (some) influencers can seemingly forget just how expensive day to day life is.

People will always have different levels of disposable income and different priorities when it comes to spending it, of course they will, but even if an influencer HAS paid for their high luxe holiday it can be easy for some to forget that you inevitably have more money to spend on holidays when you never have to pay for clothes, restaurants or toiletries. I’m sure a lot of people could choose to buy a £200 belt if they weren’t ever paying for jeans, trainers, babgrows. (Etc!)

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 12:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 16/05/2018 12:30

@FlyingBird exactly. I also think KK flogging those lollipops is irresponsible but some of the Instamums stuff regarding their kids is as well. It's so hypocritical.

And there was me thinking it was all vaginas together. One big gang of unquestioning uteruses (uteri?). I feel so disillusioned. So sad.

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 12:32

Bernardswatch sorry - should say 'what you're doing' - embarrassing to have my typos highlighted Blush

FlyingBird - WokeLawyers4U? Grin

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 12:35

Cam someone explain to me Woke? WokeMama etc I missed out and now I can’t work it out : (

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 12:36

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 12:39

Please
or

Reboot · 16/05/2018 12:42

I can see the ads in 10 years "were your personal details shared to millions of people by your parents? You may be eligible for compensation. Call wokelawyers4u for a no obligation chat"

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 12:47

Reboot Grin I'm retraining right now to cash in.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 12:48

FlyingB I was worried it was really obvious and I’d look thick Grin but thanks I didn’t know that one

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 12:49

Ha Reboot love it

Please
or

MediocrePenguin · 16/05/2018 12:50

• previous clients received 6 figure payouts for the likes of supermarket tantrums, partial bath time nudity and shitting on potties.
Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 13:01

It's kinda funny, but it's kinda not.

Think of a few of the IGers you follow. Now imagine if you had never seen their dcs on their accounts. Would have you looked beyond a few posts?

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 13:04

Please
or

seafoodeatit · 16/05/2018 13:10

I've said before on these threads that it very much is like an MLM scheme, in order to make any money they need people to follow them.

In order to get free stuff they need to convince advertisers/brands that they are a cheap and efficient advert, because for these big brands this is very cheap. They just supply the product without needing to pay for a pricey ad campaign or loads of ads, they have the instamums to post, blog and vlog and go on and on about their various tat and it's all being consumed by their target market or more realistically, those who aspire to be their target market.

When you try and flog yourself as a product, like a lifestyle you can pull from a shelf, look how happy I am you can have it too by buying this junpee, toaster etc etc or you can post about it, it's 'mumpreners'! Women couldn't possibly exploit other women, it's an insta family you know, people either love them or are envious, there is no middle ground or grey area. But don't worry, they take your concerns into consideration, a very heartfelt post about listening and being honest will follow as will the avalanche of oh huns you're so real, please don't listen to the negative bullys, I'm so glad you wrote this it's now acceptable, no scrap that, it's your duty to flog shit at me, how could I have ever doubted you. Nobody looking sad in a jumper could be dishonest.

Please
or

Gobbolinothewitchscat · 16/05/2018 13:13

Anyone who reports you to the SRA for a public hearing would be a nasty bully, flying

Any concerns should be sorted out privately, by DM. Ultimate arbiter of any complaints: you! Because that is just very ethical and of course you would be objective Hmm

Please
or

Gobbolinothewitchscat · 16/05/2018 13:15

Actually - just thinking about it, the compliance partner at my last firm was a woman. Bitch. Clearly never heard of women supporting women. Obvs not bothered about complaints about the menz though.

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 13:23

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 13:24

I admit that I was initially more concerned how the 'stealth' advertising made me feel. I didn't think about the kid aspect all. Now I feel shoddy about that. Nobody's child should be on SM publicly every day (irrespective of showing their school uniform or potty training, as a pp has already expressed).

I'm sorry in advance if you feel I'm being 'spiteful' Anyalovesrose but your husband doesn't have an IG USP without your kids and unless you want to kill your husband's book sales you (the MOFOD brand) can't change his feed at all can you?

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 13:25

I'm enjoying #lawyerbants Gobbo & Flying Grin

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 13:25

Ha at Seafood

NeverWas
I’ve no doubt the big insta mums wouldn’t have their following without the young dc as content

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 13:26

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 13:29

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 13:45

So true Seafood. The weirdest thing on the threads/IG comments I read was people gushing 'I don't care if you disclose ads, just keep doing what you're doing hun/mama'. Just so very odd.

Please
or

Confusssed · 16/05/2018 13:45

I don't criticise because I'm jealous, I am extremely lucky to live an affluent lifestyle myself, thanks to our very hard graft and we didn't need to sell the soul of our family to achieve it. I criticise because I have a brain in my head and the eyes to see some morally despicable behaviour.

The trip to Madagascar made me cringe to the depths of my soul "white, glossy, middle class couple pose with the grateful natives" Hmm And, I think Clemmie assisting in that birth was just really crass and unnecessary.

And young children cannot give any type of informed consent with regards to their social media exposure. Surely, surely that is obvious?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?