Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2

999 replies

MadameGrizzly · 16/05/2018 09:37

It appears we haven't quite finished workshopping the ethical issues of 'influencing' on Instagram: disclose of advertising, the exploitation of minors and the similarities to MLM schemes.

OP posts:
Please
or

FlyingBird · 19/05/2018 14:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 13:54

But it is not something you should have to think about or even consider. Hence why a professionals online presence and how they conduct is actually very important.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 13:53

I was birth partner at an emergency c-section and the fanny admin was dealt with with a smile -'this one's for free' and with dignity and respect. Minimal fuss or embarrassment. Just a job that needed doing.

Please
or

jamoncrumpets · 19/05/2018 13:49

I'm having a c section in 2-3 weeks. There will be no 'fanny admin'.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 13:45

@oksono that's reassuring to hear. It's not like you can always be fully prepared (early births etc) but sadly I was once told by a midwife to shut my legs because she'd seen enough... Confused so I'm not sure everyone is as lovely. (I was being induced and had had an examination in awful pain and it was not on my radar to put my knickers back on...) made me feel really embarrassed.

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 13:45

Marsha, I’m due in 2 weeks but hopefully they are going to agree to having this baby out a little bit before then. As I mentioned above there have been some complications with the baby and even though the thought of a c section terrifies me, I just want him out and safe ASAP!

Definitely feel like I’m doing it for the 1st time with such a big gap. I’m hoping that feeling fades a bit once the baby is actually there...😏

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 13:42

ElizabethLemon I've always thought that the best way forward was clean! 😬 Assuming that not everyone is particularly lovely and hygienic (I know that sounds harsh but by the law of averages there must be some that are not...) therefore anyone who regularly washes must be preferable. It's all so undignified! I can't even see round my bump so even a tidy up is pretty much just blind and hopeful Grin ahh well it'll be over soon and normal life will resume. Is a Brazilian what's also known as a landing strip? Or is it all off?

Please
or

Oksono · 19/05/2018 13:41

I’ve been a staff nurse for many years and it makes me sad to think anyone is ever concerned about personnel hygiene pre op or pre natal. I promise you nurses never ever notice or think about that. We are all far too focused on the patient being well and surgery or treatment going to plan without complications.
I did have a friend once tell me all the beauty treatments she was having pre op. Waste of money as no one notices at all. It’s all about the procedure and recovery not ‘ fanny admin’ not even on our radar

Please
or

FlyingBird · 19/05/2018 13:37

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 13:30

(Only if you want to say)

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 13:29

Elizabeth when are you due
My last one was 8 years ago and now have a 5 month old
I had forgotten everything!

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 13:28

Haha bird, I got in the bath during early labour and shaved my legs and tidied my bikini area! I won’t be doing that this time, 7 years on I just don’t care about that stuff.

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 13:27

Oh god well my “fanny admin” is definitely not up to scratch! I wonder what other midwives and colleagues think about it. I would never ask and obviously they would never say anything to a patient but it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

Please
or

FlyingBird · 19/05/2018 13:23

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 12:40

I did once request a different midwife. I'm glad I did but I felt awful and it took a lot of guts not to just go with the flow. It was an area where your community midwife came in to deliver you if on shift and I literally couldn't bear her! She was ex army and so bossy, I said to the hospital please just let a hospital midwife deliver my baby. But it was not easy.

Please
or

TireSwing · 19/05/2018 12:22

I posted a few pages back about being in labour and vulnerable and realising someone who had hosted the sorts of comments that have appeared on IG recently was my midwife helping me deliver. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to say anything but I would not feel comfortable. I am not suggesting she isn't a fantastic midwife but even aside from the things she posts (the fanny admin thing is a great example!) the things that go left unchecked under her posts still reflect on her

Please
or

allusedup · 19/05/2018 11:55

@Boredandtired I had the exact same thought last night about potentially knowing my midwife's personal preferences on 'fanny admin' whilst legs akimbo and not having had the time/money/inclination to have had seen to my own 'administration'. I imagine I'd feel quite vulnerable/uncomfortable knowing all these back stories (fanny admin being the thin end of the wedge, personally) however professional and caring the midwife was in situ.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 11:42

*partum not party's 🤣

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 11:41

And even just reading the DM sent to Laura. I'd be deeply uncomfortable about that kind of person with me at such a time where you could be so exposed.
I was just thinking about the middle class fanny admin post, I'm not in a position time wise or financially to get waxed or whatever it is people do, late pregnancy it's fairly hard to even reach the area and I don't want to be comparing myself to my midwife and feeling like I'm beneath them as I can't afford that sort of thing. I know it's relatively minor but pregnancy is a difficult time emotionally and physically. I just don't need to add anything to what I'm coping with.
I'd unfollowed C Telford but her post was promoted, she promoting hiring doulas to help post party's and that she had one to ensure they are etc.
Again with a self employed DH not only is there no paternity leave but there's certainly no money to pay someone to help us eat. It's just a different world for many. I appreciate that's not the same for everyone here but it can all be so soul destroying.
Hence why I've now unfollowed and have a feed of lovely planet/books and gardens Grin

Please
or

RandomWordsStuckTogether · 19/05/2018 11:08

A pp hit upon and important point a few posts back, about the potential awkwardness of turning up at the labour ward to find that the person who’d blocked you online for simply calling out their double standards is going to be the one delivering your baby.

It speaks to such short-sightedness on the midwife’s behalf, to not realise that that has a really high chance of happening. But also it speaks to an attitude, reinforced by the instagram echo chamber, that anyone who disagrees with them is the ‘other’ and can’t possibly be within their orbit because everyone who knows them thinks they’re amazing, obviously.

Whenever I post something online - even anonymously, because i assume I could always be outed one day - I imagine how what I’m writing would read to a prospective employer or client of mine. If I read it through that filter and it sounds twatty or aggressive, I reword it or just don’t post it.

Some IGers would do well to practise the same sense checking.

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 10:37

BoredandTired hopefully not just wishful thinking! All the more reason to protect their privacy for the future, so they can make their own minds up about whether they ever have an online presence.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 10:27

@neverwas that would be brilliant!

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 10:21

BoredandTired Grin I think our kids will be fine. They'll be writing notes with fountain pens and laughing at the terrible social media period of civilisation Smile

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 10:13

*does Hmm

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 10:12

I have to admit I got addicted to IKEA hacks and did a lot of weird and quite shit things to some of our furniture. If the internet dies that to me, small kids stand no chance 😆

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?