Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2

999 replies

MadameGrizzly · 16/05/2018 09:37

It appears we haven't quite finished workshopping the ethical issues of 'influencing' on Instagram: disclose of advertising, the exploitation of minors and the similarities to MLM schemes.

OP posts:
Please
or

Reboot · 16/05/2018 16:33

The KK lollipop ad now featured on her stories 🙄 so it hasn't gone entirely. I stopped following KK ages ago as I found her feed narcissistic and seedy. The hypocrisy of other influencers suddenly taking the moral high ground is fairly amusing/depressing I suppose.

Please
or

Reboot · 16/05/2018 16:36

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of "where's my comment gone?" "I didn't delete it, must have been THE FILTER" now even though that's not how the filter works

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 16:38

Of course all the Ks are pretty awful but #shameonkim following #dearmumsnet. How about #shameonFOD. Ohhhh it can only be directed at other people, gotcha.

Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 16/05/2018 16:40

How does the filter work? Anyone know?

I know there's been something on IG for a while that filters out certain things (but I don't know how that works either Confused). Does it go on keywords?

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 16:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 16:47

Pavlova it uses key words. Not it 'automatically' hides the posts, not retrospectively....

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.slashgear.com/instagram-bully-filter-automatically-blocks-toxic-comments-01529206/amp/

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 16:47

Note it...

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 16:49

Given how much theoretical time we gave to various ads in my English literature degree I reckon that’s valid

I’d do a little research into at what age are children off the hook in terms of being used for IG £
And what does the format do to our personalities online

Please
or

Reboot · 16/05/2018 16:50

It hides the comment from everyone except the poster of the comment so they are none the wiser that their offensive comment has been filtered. In that way you shouldn't have to engage with a filtered comment, nor should a troll ever know their comment was filtered - they just feel ignored.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 16:51

The lollipop is the ÂŁ1m one?
I don’t get the ire from ig-mums

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 16:52

Please
or
Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 16/05/2018 16:53

Thanks @Reboot and @NeverWas That's something to ponder on, I think.

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 16:56

Please
or

underestimation · 16/05/2018 16:57

I haven't managed to quite keep up with this thread but I can't believe (as it seems) that FoD has posted a picture of one of his kids on the potty. Sorry to be so behind but is that really the case (I don't follow him or MoD)? Presumably when that kid is a teenager/adult that picture will still be available on-line? That's potentially embarrassing to say the least.

On the KK lollipop thing I was just looking at Erica Davies's accuont. She had called this out earlier today but is now responding to an accusation of hypocrisy on her feed on the basis that apparently only last week she had mentioned losing three inches on her (free) trip to Ibiza. She has mounted a fairly impassioned defence.

I am trying to decide what I think about this. I think there's the wider issue of hypocrisy that's discussed up-thread eg all these influencers are engaged in flogging us stuff we mostly don't need so where do we draw the line? KK makes people feel inadequate if they don't suppress their appetite, others make people feel inadequate as they can't afford the lifestyle. But ... I don't know ... one thing about ED is that I think she is pretty realistic about body shape.

Please
or

NeverWas · 16/05/2018 17:01

No no FlyingBird you were quite right. I thought she was saying she hadn't deleted posts. I hadn't read the comments on her book post. Somebody is on the rampage deleting stuff on her account, shame they're not doing it on FOD's Wink

Please
or

Wildlingofthewest · 16/05/2018 17:03

Yep he posted a photo of his kid on the potty. His wife then made public comments about how she thought it was stepping over a line bla bla bla when she was taken to task over it on Mumsnet but the photo was still up on his Instagram feed for all and sundry to see this morning...

So he either doesn’t give a crap about her opinion (we already know he doesn’t mind fully using his kids to fuel his social media persona) or it caused a few ripples and therefore drove more people to view his Instagram feed therefore upping his views so they decided to leave it up on there for all to see....

I find it pretty distasteful, in either case.

Please
or

ABuckToothedGirlinLuxembourg · 16/05/2018 17:11

Certainly does seem like there’s no such thing as bad publicity, explains all the threads staying up too, when mumsnet offered to delete them.

Please
or

FlyingBird · 16/05/2018 17:15

Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 16/05/2018 17:21

@FlyingBird ugh, really?! I think his whole using the twins to further his social media career is inappropriate but fgs! My 13yr old son absolutely cringes at his naked baby pics and there's only immediate family who will ever see them.

I can't imagine how these kids are going to feel when they're older. (By the way, I have no issue with naked, trampolining toddlers, but even toddlers are entitled to their dignity and privacy).

Please
or

Wildlingofthewest · 16/05/2018 17:22

I don’t follow either of them on Instagram so no I didn’t see that. I agree though - it’s just the blatant and complete disregard for the privacy of the kids that I find really hard to digest.

I’m sure neither of them would wander round their local high street handing out photos of their kids to random strangers but yet they seem to have no issue in posting photos and videos online for (what seems like) nothing more than monetary gain.

He certainly has no other USP aside from his kids which is why he would struggle the maintain any online presence if he took them out of the equation.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 17:30

Oh just realised what you’re all talking about with the lollipop (google let me down) as you were..

Please
or

nipersvest · 16/05/2018 17:30

FOD has shown the twins in the bath, running around the house semi naked many times. It doesn't serve his feed or his USP to engage a moral compass.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 16/05/2018 17:31

I didn’t see it as I don’t follow either, but doesn’t sound good.

Please
or

jamoncrumpets · 16/05/2018 17:31

Cute bath-fresh tots flog holidays, and cars, and books. He knows that.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?