Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2

999 replies

MadameGrizzly · 16/05/2018 09:37

It appears we haven't quite finished workshopping the ethical issues of 'influencing' on Instagram: disclose of advertising, the exploitation of minors and the similarities to MLM schemes.

OP posts:
Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 08:59

elizabethlemon I think to generally recognise your HCP isn't a problem. In a small community this would be quite common, but the question marks over the behaviour on recent posts might be an issue.

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 09:01

Also near that hospital, and I know that at one point that area had the highest birth rate in Europe so she must have been recognised/known by some local mums.

Please
or

ElspethFlashman · 19/05/2018 09:06

I'm another who likes to live in funereal silence. Always felt like I was missing out on being one of the cool kids with this podcast thing, ever since Welcome to Nightvale or whatever it is. I tried to force myself - loved Adam Buxton - but silence won out in the end!

BTW badmotherpukka EXCELLENT BOOBS in your last post! (creeper alert)

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 09:08

Marsha, yes there does seem to be a lot of us! I have to say the care I’ve received from all the staff at the hospital has been amazing, especially this time around when things have been a bit complicated. Very grateful to have access to the amazing staff and facilities.

Never, yes you’re right. I suppose I was trying to be diplomatic with my “knowing too much” angle when really it’s a case of not being entirely comfortable with what I do know..

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 09:11

ElizabethLemon, FlyingBird expressed it best above about a HCP creating a safe space online. ^^

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 09:14

@elizabethlemon I agree with you and am currently heavily pregnant but not in the same area, hence my thinking about it. Everything I've heard about her professionally is very positive, it just seems strange there's so little moderation on her account and how she presents. Imagine if you were someone who'd disagreed with her and been blocked or received an unpleasant DM, and you turned up in labour to be met with a cheery hello!
There are Drs with online presence (Dr Pixie etc) and I imagine their social media would be very carefully managed to ensure people saw them in a professional light. I know GP's on Instagram and they do post careful pictures of their kids and comments but don't engage in the 'banter'.

Please
or

Wildlingofthewest · 19/05/2018 09:16

@madameGrizzly

Mrs Meldrum wasn’t a teacher. She fell pregnant in Uni and has been a stay at home Mum since then, she hasn’t had a “job” since she left Uni. Not sure what her degree was in exactly but I don’t think it was teaching.... (IRL I know people who know her!)

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 09:20

I've definitely tired of the meldrums since he left his job and I cannot bear primark hauls. I think they are really offensive in this day and age and encourage people I know to go out and buy loads of cheap, poor produced 'stuff' which 6 months later they gleefully throw out! Not keen on that mentality.

Please
or

Wildlingofthewest · 19/05/2018 09:27

I’ve had look over some of their video on YT, I don’t find them offensive as such but I’m not sure exactly what the USP is? It just seems to be videos of them doing day to day stuff (food shopping/cleaning etc) I’m not sure how that is seen as engaging or how it maintains and grows a base of viewers?
He used to work off shore so I guess her USP then was a stay at home Mum, off shore wife and dealing with that but I don’t really “get it” now.....
Nothing particularly negative to say about them, just not sure why people would watch them or other similar accounts just showing mundane day to day stuff that we all do!

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 09:29

Our area must attract media cynics (not unlikely!) even if or perhaps especially if they work in that industry

I have a 5 month dd and the care was brilliant. The new antenatal centre is incredible and felt as good as private. Although the ward was full when I went in and I was agog at the back log and some poor woman having to wait for a room as she was in labour at transition stage Shock slight derail

Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 19/05/2018 09:30

My 10 yr old DD is obsessed with 'hauls' and unboxing stuff Confused It's like watching paint dry, but then I find shopping quite tedious these days, never mind watching someone else do it.

I guess for my daughter, it's the equivalent of picking out what you'd like to buy from the Gratton or Argos Catalogue, which is what I used to do as a kid before the dawn of the internet.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 09:32

My 8 year old ds loves Life Hacks, watching how to scrub a pan with toothpaste or something. It’s so funny how these things come into fashion

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 09:32

Pavlova that made me laugh. I would sit with a pen circling the toys I wanted in the Argos catalogue.

Please
or

MadameGrizzly · 19/05/2018 09:33

My ten year old tells me he will be YouTuber when he grows up. #overmydeadbody

I must be confusing Mrs Meldrum over another instamum who recently quit her English head teacher position to hawk full time.

OP posts:
Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 09:35

Bowelbabe was a deputy headteacher. Obviously she is NOT a hawker.

Please
or

NeverWas · 19/05/2018 09:36

Oh yes MadameGrizzly somebody mentioned the person you are referring to in a previous thread. I can't remember the name though.

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 09:36

Yes FB (another s Londoner!) expressed it very well as usual.

Exactly Bored, I posted a couple of comments on previous threads that would definitely fall into the IG “not very kind”
camp, it’s obviously different on here as there is a higher level of anonymity (although I’m probably pretty easy to identify-more fool me!) but it could definitely create a #awks atmosphere if both parties knew there had been a bit of friction online when meeting in the delivery room. Or maybe you just don’t give a shit if you’re about to squeeze a baby out 😅.

Please
or

ElizabethLemon · 19/05/2018 09:39

Marsha yes harris birthright is amazing, more like an apple store than an antenatal centre!

My midwife said the same happened at the ward last weekend, it’s a bit scary. Too many babies in this area!

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 09:40

Haha I think anything goes when you’re in that position

I also think the brain finds it hard to cross from online to rl. Mine dies anyway I can chat to people online then remember nothing when I see them in person. It’s lije I have to shunt information from one part to another to even speak about what I chatted about
Although that could just be me

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 09:42

ElizabethL yes really is, so nice. I had to wait a few nights before I got moved up to labour, thought I was stuck in there at one point a kind of hospital purgatory!

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 19/05/2018 09:42

Spelling to pot there - fast posting

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 09:55

I'm not going to go into detail of my last birth as a) I'd completely identify myself and b) it's not great but let's just say our area is so busy the care was very, very poor. Regardless of how lovely the staff are.
One of mine loved watching unboxing so much we had to ban it. Everywhere we went was just constant demands for stuff! Play doh eggs Hmm now the 2 year old says 'can I watch rubbish mummy?' When she sees the iPad Grin

Please
or

Moonkissedlegs · 19/05/2018 10:03

I must be confusing Mrs Meldrum over another instamum who recently quit her English head teacher position to hawk full time.

Yeah I hope you are not talking about Bowelbabe here!

Isnt there Brummymummy or something who recently quit her job, I don't know if she was a teacher?

Please
or

TheLadyhasarrived · 19/05/2018 10:09

Brummymummy was an RE teacher I think.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 19/05/2018 10:12

I have to admit I got addicted to IKEA hacks and did a lot of weird and quite shit things to some of our furniture. If the internet dies that to me, small kids stand no chance 😆

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?