Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2

999 replies

MadameGrizzly · 16/05/2018 09:37

It appears we haven't quite finished workshopping the ethical issues of 'influencing' on Instagram: disclose of advertising, the exploitation of minors and the similarities to MLM schemes.

OP posts:
Please
or

allusedup · 18/05/2018 21:21

Just thought of another one - Bryony Gordon! Also v down to earth, funny, honest, writer, columnist.

Please
or

allusedup · 18/05/2018 21:23

Cookies_kibbles looks brilliant just followed

Please
or

800msprint · 18/05/2018 21:26

Thanks for the follow ideas - some fab, refreshing, different, funny and interesting feeds yeay and have really enjoyed this thread. Thank you.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 18/05/2018 21:38

Is this one worth a follow? Just found it...

Influencer ethics on Instagram 2
Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 21:44

Doctorbubbles absolutely. FlyingBird really enlightened me about how upsetting the mental health agenda on some of the IG accounts can be.

Please
or

Boredandtired · 18/05/2018 21:56

@doctorbubbles I completely agree, it's outrageous.

Please
or

EatMyShoes · 18/05/2018 21:58

@NeverWas it seems to have passed into MN folklore that the 4th thread was deleted because she was 'defamed' but that really wasn't the case.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:02

Eatmyshoes oh no you're right, I don't think that's correct. I think the general consensus is that that thread was shut down because of the crazed sock puppet attack towards the end.

Please
or

ElspethFlashman · 18/05/2018 22:04

I don't get @weeslice either. Saw her recommended all over the place. "Hilarious!" everyone said. No, she's just someone who Instastories her every waking thought with her very big eyes disconcertingly close to the camera. I'm sure she's very nice indeed, but I don't get how she's recommended so much.

CBs stories upset me too. She is swirling way too close to the PND plughole. She needs a social media break. And I get that it's her living - but she needs some fucking maternity leave from it.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:05

I think I'm right in saying that's what she claimed. Along with the Magic retrospective deleting IG bully filter....

Couldn't possibly comment on someone's flexible relationship with the truth, for fear it would be deemed defamation.

Please
or

EatMyShoes · 18/05/2018 22:09

I think it's hard to keep up with what has been going on. I've seen quite a few things said about what has happened on the threads which hasn't actually happened (both from people returning to the threads and on IG comments). As time goes on I think memories become more hazy which is not really surprising.

Please
or

PavlovaPrincess · 18/05/2018 22:15

Two of the threads were deleted, I seem to recall.

The first one was because someone was quite obviously trolling and socking (IIRC. Nothing to do with slandering MOD).

The second one was because MNHQ suddenly decided that we'd said everything that had to be said and could no longer discuss the Instamums and they would delete any further attempts to start a thread about them. It was quite bizarre.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:15

Eatmyshoes I agree. But this thread and the previous ethics thread sum most things up quite clearly I think.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:17

You're right Pavlova I'd forgotten about the odd shutdown of the thread after the sock puppet one. I might be wrong, but I recall Cady and Sofialemon really going for it on that thread.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:21

Pavlova btw somebody did challenge her professional ethics, by accepting gifts, on that thread. But I am still not convinced that's why the thread was deleted.

Please
or

EatMyShoes · 18/05/2018 22:24

That thread is still there (but those posts have been removed, rightly)

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 22:36

Eatmyshoes oh blimey then I am muddled then! I wasn't on those threads so I probably don't remember them that well.

Please
or

Badmotherpukka · 18/05/2018 23:09

A podcast I’d recommend is ‘No Country For Young Women’ hosted by Monty Onanuga and Sadia Azmat. It only started in April but it’s doing brilliantly and well worth a listen.

Please
or

MadameGrizzly · 18/05/2018 23:17

Wee Slice could give FOD a run for his money on the over exaggerated facial expressions.

I remember the threads being removed as per Pavlova's description. One was filled up with nonsense comments (filling the threads up to end them has been a constant theme) then deleted by MN. The other was deleted by MN I think in exasperation as it required a lot of moderation and I've no doubt there were complaints from Instagram accounts.

I must adhere to a strict Code Of Conduct in regards to social media, so all my accounts are tightly locked up. There is absolutely no way I could start controversial conversations, that could potentially incite hate speech, on a public social media platform and not be disciplined in my workplace. I'm also not allowed to accept gifts due to potential conflicts of interest. I don't know how that would relate to gifts not associated with my profession, but the situation is unlikely to occur because I can't have a high profile public persona.

OP posts:
Please
or

Babaloo88 · 18/05/2018 23:19

I just watched CB’s stories. What on earth is happening? I’m so confused. Why is she crying? Why are people messaging her abuse? I mean maybe I’ve had too many glasses of wine but after those stories- what the actual F?

Please
or

Boredandtired · 18/05/2018 23:29

Feeling annoyed that I went and watched weeslice! What was all that gurning?
Since following lots of new accounts recommended on here I've had so many weird things suggested to me. I should be asleep!
Don't mean to sound stupid but what exactly is a podcast? How do you listen to them and where are they?!

Please
or

Boredandtired · 18/05/2018 23:30

@Babaloo88 it's like car crash reality tv, I'm not sure. And if that was me I'd probably delete it.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 23:37

Babaloo88 I must confess Ive looked at it a couple of times and I haven't a clue what it's about. Initially I thought it was about MN, then I thought maybe people were asking her to wade into the mod KK post issue - CB notably kept silent about KK and the lollipops (I think?) Then I thought it was about mod's book review, and she was being asked to comment on the race issue. Who knows.

Please
or

NeverWas · 18/05/2018 23:42

MadameGrizzly the code of practice for midwives- 20.1 onwards

www.nmc.org.uk/standards/code/read-the-code-online/#fivth

Please
or

Boredandtired · 18/05/2018 23:44

Tori Spelling has posted 2 pics with the lollipops, there's quite a lot of comments and to be fair she's tried to engage. But the photo yesterday her waist is photoshopped and her hand looks really weird!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?