or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To hate the word ta

172 replies

chocolatekimmy · 15/05/2007 22:17

Always pronounced with that aaaahhhh a

(instead of thank you that is)

Drives me nuts, especially when after a child is used to it the mum insists on them saying thank you and correcting them each time!

There are many words a child won't be able to say or pronounce at a young age but we just wait don't we

OP posts:
Skribble · 15/05/2007 23:19

I say ta, call me what you like but it is very commen here, or perhaps I am commen .

TricityBendix · 15/05/2007 23:41

If it's normal to say "ta" then you say it, Skribble. Not a problem.

It's not normal for me and I don't know what's stressful about "thank you".

agnesnitt · 15/05/2007 23:54

rabbleraiser, you can patronise a child by dumbing down language when it's not necessary I chose to use the more adult words for things as my daughter would have had to learn them anyway, why cause hassle for the child when you can just get on with good vocabulary skills from the start? It wasn't meant to be an inflammatory remark, merely an insight into my opinions on language acquisition.

Agnes

unknownrebelbang · 15/05/2007 23:56

I didn't use babybabble with my lads, but ta was used aplenty. I can't remember how or why or when we crossed over, but all three now say thank you.

People either like it or don't, fair enough, but to hate it is a bit OTT.

Aloha · 15/05/2007 23:58

Oh for heavens sake, does anyone know any adults who still calls pigs piggies? No of course not.
It is natural to adapt your language when speaking to small children (motherese) and it is helpful to language acquisition.

OtterInnit · 15/05/2007 23:58

i like piggies

ta is different

Hilllary · 16/05/2007 00:01

I hate it when people say tar or taaaa to my dd, its a nonsense word even my 14 month old sings thank you. Tar goes on the road for goodnes sake.

People always look at me like I'm stuck up or something when I say 'we dont say that, we say thank you'

OtterInnit · 16/05/2007 00:04

pretty babs hilllary

Hilllary · 16/05/2007 00:05

thank you Otter

harpsichordcarrier · 16/05/2007 00:07

you are stuck up actually
yuo all don't like ta because it's COMMON, then

expatinscotland · 16/05/2007 00:07

YABFU

Who really fucking cares?

What would you prefer, no thanks at all? How about go fuck yourself?

Honestly.

Get a grip.

Is this all people have to get hyped up about these days?

agnesnitt · 16/05/2007 00:09

I'm just a freak who like the English language. I'm the weird one who rarely uses acronyms and will happily go to two text messages to avoid using 'text speak'. It carries through to everyday spoken language too I suspect

As for adults using the term 'piggies' I see it all too regularly, when people speak to children

Agnes

Hilllary · 16/05/2007 00:11

Harpsichord you cheeky bugger! Me stuck up, bloody hilarious

Hilllary · 16/05/2007 00:12

I dont find it common I just dont like slang.

Aloha · 16/05/2007 00:12

Yes, exactly. They have learned, absolutely effortlessly, to use the word 'pigs' in one context and 'piggies' in another. Easy.
The 'ee' sounds and rising inflections of motherese is attractive to small children and helps them understand language.
My career depends utterly on my use of English btw.

Aloha · 16/05/2007 00:13

I don't like 'ta' much. But that is because I am snobbish about it. But it is harmless.

stealthsquiggle · 16/05/2007 00:16

I don't honestly think it slows them down in learning Thankyou - does it? DS learnt "ta" - mainly from nursery - but "ank oo" pretty soon afterwards (probably mainly from home). "ta" was at a stage when "p p p" (for please) was his generic way of asking for something - it's a short stage, but not one I have a particular problem with. I would certainly rather have "ta" than nothing...

agnesnitt · 16/05/2007 00:18

It might be attractive, but is it entirely necessary? I never used such language 'tricks' to entertain my daughter, and as four year olds go she has an exceptional vocabulary. I would go so far as to suggest that the 'motherese' is more to appease the adult than the child

Agnes

unknownrebelbang · 16/05/2007 00:27

Does it matter whether it's necessary?

If people want to use it - fine!

If people don't - their choice!

fryalot · 16/05/2007 06:30

I have no problem with it. HOwever, my children say "thank you" but my mother will insist on making them say "ta" WTF??? surely "ta" is when they are not able to say "Thank you" and when they can say the words, they don't need "ta" anymore?

LazyLine · 16/05/2007 07:22

I think it's a great way to teach small children who are too young to be able to say thank you, to in fact, say thank you.

DS, at 21 months, has been able to say TA! for some time and understands what it means, he can interact with us and he is learning to be polite.

As for changing it to thank you later on, this sort of things happens all the time, look at the way the alphabet is pronounced.

Why the big deal?

mm22bys · 16/05/2007 07:30

I hate adults using it to other adults. It does sound so childish.

We taught out DS1 thank you from the start, along with other "proper" words like "penis", etc.

For all those who hate "haitch", historically it was mostly used by Catholics (some Catholics, not all obviously - my DH doesnt!)

Flamesparrow · 16/05/2007 07:54

I don't have many wordy hates, but Ta is one of them.

I say thankyou to my children and then bloody friends try to teach them ta (like "Ta cup" to pass the cup).

I don't expect them to say Thankyou back - but they say the closest they can to it.

As for the soddin cup "Cup please" conveys the same message and uses real words!!!

powder28 · 16/05/2007 08:05

I think they must say ta at my sons nursery because he says it all the time.
I don't like the word, but if they say it to them at nursery and then I tell him not to he will get confused, so have decided to not say anything.

Tutter · 16/05/2007 08:08

i don't like the sound of it. happy to wait til ds can say thank you. judging by current progress this may be when he's 5

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.