Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"

125 replies

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 14:46

Unless I round-brush, blow-dry, straighten and flip it inwards every single morning? Every damn time I ask for a bob I end up with this 90's abomination, even if I went in with pictures and it looked fine when I left the salon after being styled into submission for an hour. Do I have to go to evening class to learn hairdresser-speak, so I know how to ask for a graduated, a-line or inverted disconnected bob, whatever the hell those are?

OP posts:
baileysicecream · 29/07/2017 14:48

it is because hairdressers have an obsession with penchant for "framing your face."

My face is butt ugly
it needs attention drawing AWAY from.

MikeUniformMike · 29/07/2017 14:53

Go to a different hairdresser.

ConstanceCraving · 29/07/2017 14:58

You need to find another hairdresser. I have a bob but it is nothing like Rachel's.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:00

I have never been to the same hairdresser twice.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:02

Constance so if you leave your hair to dry naturally, does it still look like a bob? Or does it flip out at the sides and back?

OP posts:
ConstanceCraving · 29/07/2017 15:02

That's strange. Why not?

ConstanceCraving · 29/07/2017 15:03

My hair has a slight wave to it but wouldn't flick out and the sides or back, no.

Is it one length?

stella23 · 29/07/2017 15:04

Is it thinner at the bottom? Maybe wispy

MrsTerryPratchett · 29/07/2017 15:05

baileysicecream Grin

Some woman was trying to convince me to buy a v-neck the other day as it, "elongated" my neck. I have the neck of a 60 yo. I want it hidden, not elongated.

Robotic I have 'well-behaved' hair and mine flips out. I think hair just does. Doesn't have to be a Rachael though.

Silverthorn · 29/07/2017 15:05

I too have rarely been to the same hairdresser twice. The best haircut I had was £70 for a cut and dry (long hair). They never listen and always put layers in and try to convince me to highlight it.

SnowBallsAreHere · 29/07/2017 15:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:07

Does your hair naturally flick out?

One side of mine does. I am growing out a crop and its a bob stage. Unless i style it the left side flicks out a la Rachel.

Its a pain. I have attempted a bob a few times. Its not for me. Too much hard work.

MakeItStopNeville · 29/07/2017 15:10

I'm confused. The Rachel isn't a bob?! If you've tried a gazillion hairdressers and the result is the same, it's probably time to accept your hair doesn't do bobs. Mine doesn't do short. It needs the weight to keep it in line.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:13

Is it thinner at the bottom? Maybe wispy

Yes! The layers are wispy which makes it look thinner (and it's not that thick to begin with). The shortest layer is at my ear and the longest at my shoulder...

OP posts:
gingerbreadmam · 29/07/2017 15:13

if it is flicking out i reckon its the wrong length and needs to be shorter. a babyliss big hair might help.

if you find a style you like it would help the hairdresser to have a front, side and back shot i think.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:14

I'm confused. The Rachel isn't a bob?!

Exactly.

OP posts:
Blossomdeary · 29/07/2017 15:17

Grr - I sympathise. I have long dark hair with a fringe - fine and fly-away. I wash it and blow dry it and it looks fine. Within half and hour (less if it is windy or the atmosphere is damp) my fringe is turning outwards - yes, outwards! - and the rest is all of a mess. It is a pain.

I do wonder if a shorter bob might make it thicker-looking - but I will still have a fringe that turns up!

MrsTerryPratchett · 29/07/2017 15:18

The shortest layer is at my ear and the longest at my shoulder... That is a Rachael so if you ask for that, you're asking for a Rachael.

Why are you getting layers in a bob if you have wispy hair and don't want to look like Rachael? Don't you want something more Vidal Sassoon?

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:20

That's strange. Why not?

I had long hair forever until I started trying to get a bob recently, so I never used to cut my hair very often. Now that I have shorter hair it needs more maintenance, so I have been three times in the last year. However, I haven't been satisfied any of these three times, so I kept changing salons.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:22

The shortest layer is at my ear and the longest at my shoulder... That is a Rachael so if you ask for that, you're asking for a Rachael.

I didn't ask for that. I asked for a bob, slightly longer in front with a few layers. I even showed pictures. I assumed a hairdresser would know what a bob was.

OP posts:
MrsOverTheRoad · 29/07/2017 15:22

If some of your hair is at your shoulder and it's layered then that aint no bob!

Show us a picture of the hair you'd LIKE versus the hair you have.

Salmotrutta · 29/07/2017 15:24

I had to google the "Rachel" just to confirm that it was Jennifer Anistons style in Friends Grin

BUT I then discovered that there is a Rachel Hair who is a Scottish musician and has a group called The Rachel Hair Trio.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:25

I showed this picture

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"
OP posts:
MikeUniformMike · 29/07/2017 15:27

I've got you OP. Here is the problem. You have layers in your hair. The Rachael hairdo was a bit of growing out cut.

I would avoid haircuts for a few months. Tie your hair in a ponytail overnight. You might need to experiment too see if it works for you.

Let the layers grow longer then have a sharp one-length bob or go for a long bob.

MrsOverTheRoad · 29/07/2017 15:27

no pic visible

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.