Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"

125 replies

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 14:46

Unless I round-brush, blow-dry, straighten and flip it inwards every single morning? Every damn time I ask for a bob I end up with this 90's abomination, even if I went in with pictures and it looked fine when I left the salon after being styled into submission for an hour. Do I have to go to evening class to learn hairdresser-speak, so I know how to ask for a graduated, a-line or inverted disconnected bob, whatever the hell those are?

OP posts:
SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 19:24

Hmmmm think i need the fibreology stuff by the sound of it.

Off to google!

llangennith · 29/07/2017 19:31

Has it occurred to you that your hair isn't the right texture for the bob you insist on having? Grow it longer so you can style it differently.

choccybiscuit · 29/07/2017 19:37

Ok you need to ask for a blunt lob (long bob) no layers.

GhostCurry · 29/07/2017 19:41

I feel you OP, I'm never satisfied either.
I find hair products a total mystery, but I do have one recommendation - Wonder Balm from Percy and Reed. I got a freebie from M&S once and liked it so actually bought a bottle, which is unlike me, as I generally avoid products with vague names like "balm". It doesn't really do anything in particular - doesn't style it, or make it shiny (that I've noticed) - but it makes it sit better. It looks more "done", somehow, and less frizzy, but doesn't weigh it down. And you don't actually have to do anything with it, except rub a little into your hair when it's still wet. Even i can manage that Grin

Gunpowder · 29/07/2017 19:43

I've got a long bob (like the first pic). I always ask for a long bob, one length, but slightly longer at the front and shorter at the back. Then I say, 'I know the bits at the front are more wispy and you will be tempted to cut them to neaten up my hair, but I am trying to grow them and am too old to have an ironic Rachel, so please just nibble the ends'

This has worked with four different hairdressers. (I'm unfaithful too, never know when I will have childcare and can have my haircut). You may have to have a shorter bob first to get rid of the layers.

Blossomdeary · 29/07/2017 19:51

The trouble with shorter hair is that it needs cutting now and again - and I always used to come away from the hairdressers disappointed in what they had done - I would go home and wash it straight away. Hence currently having long hair.

gingerbreadmam · 29/07/2017 20:14

if your hair is thin and wispy you need less layers as layering thins it out more.

i can't believe you cant get what you're after it's quite basic in the grand schemes of a cut.

are the places you go pricey for london?

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 20:25

Are the places you go pricey for london?

No, pretty cheap. But I've been to high end salons to and they're no better. One of the best colours I ever had was some guy on a street corner in mile end.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 20:26

Many of you seem to think my hair is shit. It's not. I keep getting awful haircuts! It's not super thin or anything.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 20:31

Or maybe I'm in denial Shock

OP posts:
pictish · 29/07/2017 20:35

I don't think your hair is shit, I think bobs are shit. Go for something less difficult to achieve and maintain.

Crikeyblimey · 29/07/2017 20:35

My hairdresser (and I adore her so much that this is the first time I've had 'my hairdresser') worked witchcraft with my bob.

She shaved (well clippered) under my hair at the back. Left longer hair over the clippered area (so you can't see it) but what a revaluation! It now sits nicely at the back, no more flicking out and the sides behave too! She is a witch I tell ya.

Crikeyblimey · 29/07/2017 20:37

Oh and it is so well behaved that now all I do is blast it almost dry and then just curl it under using a big brush for about 2 minutes! Sleek medium length bob. Fab.

IHateUncleJamie · 29/07/2017 20:48

Years ago when I was growing out my short hair I spent a fortune splashed out on an appointment with a senior stylist at Charles Worthington in Covent Garden. It was so worth it. ❤️ Before you write off all hairdressers, wouldn't it be worth going for a consultation at a top salon? Take photos of several different different bobs you like and explain the difficulties. They should tell you what needs to be done to adapt the style to your particular hair type.

MikeUniformMike · 29/07/2017 20:56

The chap who cuts my hair will cut it so that it behaves. I have wild, rebellious hair but since going there all I do is wash it and comb it and it will go into place. The first time I went I thought it was meh but even as it grew it was still behaving, a few weeks later I realised it was a very good cut. I wouldn't go anywhere else now.
It's within the M25 (west) and not expensive.

Agoddessonamountaintop · 29/07/2017 20:58

Margotlovedtom where did you find that pic? I think that's what my hairdresser has been going for lately but she keeps making it lopsided. I like the style and length but I've decided to go back to my old expensive place as she just doesn't seem to get that the two points either side of the jawline should look the same length even though they might measure differently from the hairline. I'm thinking I could take that pic in with me next time.
I actually like mine to flip out at the back, although it's only really the under layers that do so; the top layer falls straight and I blow the front and sides under, adding a bit of volume but trying to avoid the bouffant look.

AllToadsLeadToHome · 29/07/2017 21:40

I have been cutting my own hair for years because I couldn't find a hairdresser that would do what I asked for, even with a picture.

I have a bob, I vary how I cut it. There are lots of interesting ways of cutting it on Youtube and they also tell you what kind of bob it is.

I bought some of the tiny rubber bands and used the method where you use 2 of them and cut in between the last time. I hate the Rachel cut, and it doesn't look like a bob to me.

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 21:49

I just googled 'short bob' and it was one of the images Smile.

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 21:50

That was to AGoddess

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 21:59

Crikeyblimey That sounds like it would work on me!!

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 22:00

Take photos of several different different bobs you like and explain the difficulties. They should tell you what needs to be done to adapt the style to your particular hair type.

Jesus, maybe I've been underestimating how hard it is to get a decent haircut... Ain't nobody got time for that!

OP posts:
gingerbreadmam · 29/07/2017 22:04

ahh i'm just referring to.you saying it was wispy. can you add a pic of your hair?

i would try another salon, maybe somewhere that charges a bit more and you know they are well trained in current techniques. You should be able to get what you want.

I'm oop north so can't recomment anywhere although a good cut and blow here would be no more than about £36 lol.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Solo · 30/07/2017 01:05

Thank you MrsJamesAspey Thanks I may just give it a go :) My hair doesn't really grow any further than shoulder length and I'd love longer, thicker hair.

Agoddessonamountaintop · 30/07/2017 08:54

Got it Margot - thanks.

IHateUncleJamie · 30/07/2017 10:07

Jesus, maybe I've been underestimating how hard it is to get a decent haircut... Ain't nobody got time for that!

It really isn't that hard once you find a good hairdresser. But yes, initially you do have to spend money - and time, I'm afraid. Still, your choice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.