Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"

125 replies

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 14:46

Unless I round-brush, blow-dry, straighten and flip it inwards every single morning? Every damn time I ask for a bob I end up with this 90's abomination, even if I went in with pictures and it looked fine when I left the salon after being styled into submission for an hour. Do I have to go to evening class to learn hairdresser-speak, so I know how to ask for a graduated, a-line or inverted disconnected bob, whatever the hell those are?

OP posts:
MikeUniformMike · 29/07/2017 15:44

I have had the blonde bob and used to get all manner of people coming up to me and saying "Oh, there you are... sorry, I thought you were someone else". Nearly everytime I went out.
I recently worked in an office where several of my colleagues had blonde bobs, and guess what... if they were sat at a desk and had their back to you they were undistinguishable.

OP's photo is a bob, it's nice but I can see why she's getting the Rachel.

OP, you need to find one good hairdresser and stick with them. Take the photo, explain your problem and ask for a non-90s solution to growing out your layers.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:44

(except that picture looks way better because my hairdresser did whispy layers instead of choppy ones, which I would've preferred.)

OP posts:
MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:46

It's not a pageboy cut, which would be cut shorter around the face. It's a long graduated bob.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:46

Its not really a bob. Its a long bob. Its on the boarderline of bob and just mid lenth. But to get the style, in that photo it needs to be styled. At least every wash, but probably every day.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:47

What region are you in and are you in the UK??

London

OP posts:
WooWooSister · 29/07/2017 15:47

There are good hairdresser's out there. You just need to find one. When I first went to my current hairdresser, she chatted with me for ages before she started cutting.She looked at the photos I had brought with me then discussed how it would work with my hair and face. Then she chatted about how much styling I wanted to do each day (if any) and why I'd left my last hairdresser. She's fab and everyone always comments positively on my hair now.

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:48

It's a lob! (The picture you wanted, not what you got).

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:51

Just to clarify, the first picture is what I asked for. I would've been happy with that. The second picture is more like what I got. If I don't style it, all the different lengths stick out from my head like some kind of 90s nightmare. Maybe not exactly the "Rachel", but it does look incredibly dated, frizzy and wispy.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:52

So if I ask for a 'lob', will they know what that is??

OP posts:
ChardonnaysPrettySister · 29/07/2017 15:52

That's a mullet you seem to have got there, if it looks like the second photo.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:53

Thats the issue. You need to style it

WooWooSister · 29/07/2017 15:53

If you already had layers to grow out then I could see how you ended up with different lengths as an interim cut . . .but your hairdresser should have explained that to you.

WooWooSister · 29/07/2017 15:53

If you already had layers to grow out then I could see how you ended up with different lengths as an interim cut . . .but your hairdresser should have explained that to you.

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:53

If you have fine wispy hair you're probably better off going for a shorter, blunter bob tbh.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:54

If you ask for a lob. You will still beed to style it. Very few peoples hair will lay like that without styling.

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:56

Like this?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:58

I'm not expecting miracles from a haircut, but it really annoys me that my hair looks absolutely shit without endless styling. It really does.

OP posts:
MrsJamesAspey · 29/07/2017 15:58

DD and both have really fine hair and a year ago we started using L'Oréal fibrology thickening shampoo and it's made do much difference for both of us, DD has never been able to grow her hair and now it's down to her waist.

I've finally found a hairdresser who cuts and colours how I want it, and I've made best friends with her and am not letting her out if my life GrinGrin

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:59

Then a bob (of any length) may not be for you.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 16:00

"Wispy layers" is a technique. I've googled it, so now I'm an expert. As opposed to choppy layers. But yes, I do have fine hair. And wispy layers look shit in fine hair.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 16:00

"Wispy layers" is a technique. I've googled it, so now I'm an expert. As opposed to choppy layers. But yes, I do have fine hair. And wispy layers look shit in fine hair.

OP posts:
Acopyofacopy · 29/07/2017 16:00

Get yourself to Vidal Sassoon. They definitely know how to do graduated bobs!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 16:01

Margot still too many layers in that one I think

OP posts:
nodogsinthebedroom · 29/07/2017 16:02

Try Indira at Tony and Guy Covent Garden. Not cheap, and she's away a lot as she teaches and works on fashion shows, but she's very good.

alibongo5 · 29/07/2017 16:04

Was I the only one who glanced at this thread title and thought it was about transgender? Blush

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.