Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"

125 replies

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 14:46

Unless I round-brush, blow-dry, straighten and flip it inwards every single morning? Every damn time I ask for a bob I end up with this 90's abomination, even if I went in with pictures and it looked fine when I left the salon after being styled into submission for an hour. Do I have to go to evening class to learn hairdresser-speak, so I know how to ask for a graduated, a-line or inverted disconnected bob, whatever the hell those are?

OP posts:
echt · 29/07/2017 15:28

Avoid the bob. Boring as fuck.

I'm mid 60s and more than 70% of the 60+ choir I am in have bobs. Blonde.

Went to a Jane Austen reading today and 60% had blonde bobs. 90% of audience over 60.

I'm the first to get the arse when Mners get ageist, but bobs are safe, and not in a good way.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:28

If your hair naturally flicks out that style will look like a rachel.

Its a long bob (lob) and looks like it has some layering in it. It will need to be style (on most people).

Bunnyfuller · 29/07/2017 15:29

I asked for a choppy Bob. I have naturally curly/wavy hair. So why the fuck did the hair dresser blow dry it straight and then put pretend curls in with the straighteners? Why do they assume I want it straight? Do they not have the skill to do anything other than bog- standard for straight hair?

I too have never found a hairdresser I like because without exception they do what they want, not what you've asked for.

I looked like Linda Bellingham circa 1980. My 11 yr old got some wax and made it look better within an hour of me being home.

GreyHare · 29/07/2017 15:29

You need to go to my hairdresser, every time I ask for layers but I get a blunt bob with no layers, but as it's only £12 I keep going back, I need to break the cycle.

ConstanceCraving · 29/07/2017 15:29

Bobs don't have to be boring. I guess it depends on who is wearing it Wink

WooWooSister · 29/07/2017 15:29

What you ask for isn't a bob so that's why the hairdressers are getting confused.
I have a cut similar to the one you're describing but I have wavy hair so it doesn't stay in place properly unless I straighten it or use a roller on the bottom to curl it under. If I leave it to dry naturally, it's wavy but you can still see the shape of the cut ie layers, slightly longer at the front. It's never turned into a Rachel though Confused

MrsOverTheRoad · 29/07/2017 15:30

If your hair is thinner, I think you will need something shorter to give it more body and shape. That cut's always going to be tricky for someone with hair that tends to "wisp"

Lowdoorinthewal1 · 29/07/2017 15:31

I thought this was going to be a gender identification thread and had my flame thrower ready!!

IHateUncleJamie · 29/07/2017 15:32

Wavy hair with layers will always flick out unless you straighten it/curl it under. If you want an actual bob, you need to grow the layers out. Strictly speaking, a bob shouldn't have any layers.

DropZoneOne · 29/07/2017 15:32

Stop asking for layers, that's what's turning it into a Rachel cut. The style you've shown is a long graduated bob I.e. a long bob but graduated from shorter at the back to longer at the front.

Gemini69 · 29/07/2017 15:34

Bobs can't have layers f you want a sharp sleek cut... and when blow drying you must use your cool setting... to finish off.. or I use my bedroom fan... quick blast and it's faster lol Grin

derxa · 29/07/2017 15:34

You need to build up a relationship with your HD. I have the bob which is highlighted but it suits me. It works with my thick slightly curly fine hair.
Get a style that doesn't need a lot of managing.

WooWooSister · 29/07/2017 15:34

Just seen the pic - it looks as though you'll need to go shorter to avoid a Rachel or you need to style it every time you wash it.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:35

So some of you are saying that the haircut in the picture is a bob and some are saying it's not Confused

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:38

You need to build up a relationship with your HD.

No thanks. I don't want a relationship with any of those absolute bastards. Grin I have asked for ash blonde and come out both ginger and black in the past. I have had so many disasters with hairdressers I really don't trust them as a profession...

OP posts:
Craiconwithit · 29/07/2017 15:38

If you don't want to use products and dry it with a round brush, you need to have a blunt cut one length bob with NO LAYERS!
I am in my fifties with a short graduated bob, but it ain't boring.
It's various shades of coloured grey, lilac and purple with a deep V shaped fringe. I get complimented daily. Grin

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:38

I disagree that hairstyle will look like a Rachel if the hair naturally flicks out. In a graduated bob the sides are longer than the back, so if the hair happens to flick out it would go more like the sides of Miss Hoolie's hair. A Rachel cut is more of a mullet. OP hasn't been given a graduated bob if it looks like a Rachel.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:39

Well, that was the picture I showed her. That's not what I got. I don't have any photos of my hair looking crap and I've just styled it now so I can't take one but I'll see if I can find a pic that looks like it...

OP posts:
lmer · 29/07/2017 15:39

The style of showed them is going to turn into a Racheal if not actually styled properly after washing.. it's more of a lob (long bob) then a bob as well

Solo · 29/07/2017 15:39

Bunnyfuller I think you are me :)

Hairdressers never seem to get my hair right; I always have a bob, slightly longer at the front as I try to hide my developing jowls! But my curly hair is much thinner at the front and sides and less curly these days too and so does not look great.

Why can't hair do as we want it to?

Pollyanna9 · 29/07/2017 15:39

I'd say it's a pageboy (which is a long bob). Mine's a bit longer than but only slightly and I wouldn't consider it a bob any more. There ARE good hairdressers out there who listen - it sound like a. you've just not found one and b. yes, maybe your description is inaccurate - but it is also the hairdresser's job to advise you if you ask for something that, with how your hair is currently, won't turn out the way the picture that you took in looks - a good one will tell you that first so you have the appropriate expectation or can discuss and agree an alternative or a stopgap style until you can get what you want.

What region are you in and are you in the UK??

highcastle · 29/07/2017 15:41

I suffer the same affliction! Someone told me recently it's putting your hair behind your ears that makes it flick out so I'm going to try to stop doing that.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 15:41

Miss Hoolie's flicky bob for reference Grin. As it happens I really like the Rachel cut, and much prefer it to a graduated bob Wink.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 15:41

It looks a bit like this when styled and straightened

OP posts:
SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 15:43

Its not a pageboy. This is a pageboy. It has a full fringe.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.